Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm a little surprised Carrick filed. He seemed on the edge of being bought out or not qualified before we got him. He may simply be seeking a 1 way deal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just let Carrick walk. Dude is the ultimate journeyman.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
According to Elliot Friedman, Mitch Marner (or, probably more accurately, Paul Marner) wants a three-year offer sheet, which would keep him in RFA status at the end. That should kill any debate over whether Shero should take the bait, or any other GM for that matter.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
According to Elliot Friedman, Mitch Marner (or, probably more accurately, Paul Marner) wants a three-year offer sheet, which would keep him in RFA status at the end. That should kill any debate over whether Shero should take the bait, or any other GM for that matter.

why would he want to be a rfa at the end of his deal? wouldn't his goal be to become a ufa at the end of this deal?

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
why would he want to be a rfa at the end of his deal? wouldn't his goal be to become a ufa at the end of this deal?
I imagine he’s banking on another offer sheet bidding war at the end of the three years. Not really smart for the team that offer sheets him but I guess it would work for him money wise. Toronto made its bed with the J.T. signing so now it has to lay in it I guess (insert leafs pajamas joke here).

Reactions: Nubmer6

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually like Carrick tbh.
He's JAG.

Not terrible, better than guys like Helgeson, Prout and even Santini, but I see nothing particularly great about him.

I wouldn't hate keeping him, but I also see him as being the squeeze out guy if we need to cut bait with one of them.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Of course Carrick filed for arbitration - it's the only realistic leverage an RFA has. Also the Devils can't let him walk, nor will they be able to walk away from an arbitration award.

By trading Davies, the Devils won't have any depth in the minors again this season. They'll go with 8 defensemen again this season I think, and Carrick will play plenty of games.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He's JAG.

Not terrible, better than guys like Helgeson, Prout and even Santini, but I see nothing particularly great about him.

I wouldn't hate keeping him, but I also see him as being the squeeze out guy if we need to cut bait with one of them.

I think we could do worse as a 7th, certainly not a regular though.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

He is already asking for UFA money as an RFA so it isn’t as big of a deal. He is going for shorter term deals in hopes of adding payday after a payday. Being an RFA means the team has to qualify him at least 10% of his final deal or let him become a UFA early. Basically ensuring another big payday before becoming an UFA.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I'd keep Carrick. One or two injuries on the blueline and the reinforcements in Binghamton looks not so deep.
Subban, Vatanen, Severson, Greene, Butcher, (Smith)
Mueller, Carrick

Binghamton defensemen with most NHL experience:
Tennyson - 124GP
Strait - 187GP

Unless of course one thinks Jacobs (1GP) or a Colton White can fill in. If its worth anything Michael Kapla I believe is a UFA after Minnesota dropped him.

On that note my ideal roster with the forward personnel now would be roughly:

Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Kyle Palmeri
Jesper Boqvist - Jack Hughes - Wayne Simmonds
Blake Coleman - Pavel Zacha - Jesper Bratt
Miles Wood - Travis Zajac - John Hayden
ex: Kevin Rooney

Admittedly, I didn't see enough of Bastian down the stretch so he might fit in, same with Anderson. But from gauging Shero's comments I think he likes Hayden somewhere in the lineup as a 'big, right handed show' winger.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'd keep Carrick. One or two injuries on the blueline and the reinforcements in Binghamton looks not so deep.
Subban, Vatanen, Severson, Greene, Butcher, (Smith)
Mueller, Carrick

Binghamton defensemen with most NHL experience:
Tennyson - 124GP
Strait - 187GP

Unless of course one thinks Jacobs (1GP) or a Colton White can fill in. If its worth anything Michael Kapla I believe is a UFA after Minnesota dropped him.

On that note my ideal roster with the forward personnel now would be roughly:

Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Kyle Palmeri
Jesper Boqvist - Jack Hughes - Wayne Simmonds
Blake Coleman - Pavel Zacha - Jesper Bratt
Miles Wood - Travis Zajac - John Hayden
ex: Kevin Rooney

Admittedly, I didn't see enough of Bastian down the stretch so he might fit in, same with Anderson. But from gauging Shero's comments I think he likes Hayden somewhere in the lineup as a 'big, right handed show' winger.
Our depth on D is really concerning. Don't we go thru 10 defensemen on average in a season? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’d definitely take gardiner on a 2 year deal, but i’m not sure how realistic that is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->