Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

They found a temporary one at Mullett Arena, a 5,000-seat college facility on the ASU campus in Tempe. The Coyotes spent more than $20 million to upgrade the building to NHL standards, including a two-story annex as well as professional-level dressing room and training room facilities.

"The first year was sick," one NHL player told ESPN. "We were all excited to check it out and honestly it was a cool place to play. Crowd was great, it got loud. But it was a novelty. When we went back this year, nobody was looking forward to the experience outside of a trip to Arizona. It's like, 'We have to do this s--- again?' I don't know how their players put up with it for so long."

The team's creative accounting was a constant source of concern around the league. There were incidents over the years of the Coyotes skimping on money. The Coyotes would try to stay at lesser hotels than the collective bargaining agreement stipulates. Ownership tried cutting corners when they could, like removing the printer and copying machine from the coaches' room.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Coyotes were either late paying their hotel bills or sometimes just crossed out the total and paid a different amount. Other sources indicated local businesses would come to the team seeking payments, would be offered a fraction of what was owed and then would be negotiated down to take less than what was actually owed.

Doan worked for the Coyotes after his retirement as chief hockey development officer but had higher aspirations, eventually seeking to become their president of hockey operations in 2023. According to a source, he was told he "wasn't ready" for the position, a verdict handed down by the owner's son Alex Meruelo Jr., the team's chief brand officer who had taken a more active interest in the hockey operations department.

Meruelo said Bettman and Daly laid out the average career for an NHL player and compared that to the amount of years the Coyotes would have played in Mullett. They argued that it was possible, based on the new timeline, for a Coyotes player to never have a chance to call an actual NHL arena home.

Bettman said it became clear to him that "there was no way Alex Meruelo was going to agree to this if he wasn't going to have an opportunity to reactivate the franchise."

Satisfying Meruelo was the NHL's most challenging task in the transaction. Multiple sources told ESPN at the All-Star Game that there was concern Meruelo could get litigious if the league attempted to emancipate the franchise from him and force a relocation.

Meruelo will remain an "observer" at the board of governors, as the owner of a deactivated team.

One key aspect of the compromise: Meruelo would not need NHL board of governors' approval to restart the franchise, according to Daly. "He's already been approved as an NHL owner," he told ESPN.

According to sources, the Coyotes players who are signed through next season have "genuine excitement" about the move to Utah from a hockey perspective. They know that, as was the case with the Golden Knights and Kraken, the novelty of playing in a new market will immediately put them in the spotlight. Expect Utah's first home game to be on national television, for example. They anticipate Utah will be able to attract better free agents because they won't be concerned about the stability of the franchise.

Meruelo is a scumbag and made out like a bandit.

Reactions: quat

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

They found a temporary one at Mullett Arena, a 5,000-seat college facility on the ASU campus in Tempe. The Coyotes spent more than $20 million to upgrade the building to NHL standards, including a two-story annex as well as professional-level dressing room and training room facilities.

"The first year was sick," one NHL player told ESPN. "We were all excited to check it out and honestly it was a cool place to play. Crowd was great, it got loud. But it was a novelty. When we went back this year, nobody was looking forward to the experience outside of a trip to Arizona. It's like, 'We have to do this s--- again?' I don't know how their players put up with it for so long."

The team's creative accounting was a constant source of concern around the league. There were incidents over the years of the Coyotes skimping on money. The Coyotes would try to stay at lesser hotels than the collective bargaining agreement stipulates. Ownership tried cutting corners when they could, like removing the printer and copying machine from the coaches' room.

Multiple sources told ESPN that the Coyotes were either late paying their hotel bills or sometimes just crossed out the total and paid a different amount. Other sources indicated local businesses would come to the team seeking payments, would be offered a fraction of what was owed and then would be negotiated down to take less than what was actually owed.

Doan worked for the Coyotes after his retirement as chief hockey development officer but had higher aspirations, eventually seeking to become their president of hockey operations in 2023. According to a source, he was told he "wasn't ready" for the position, a verdict handed down by the owner's son Alex Meruelo Jr., the team's chief brand officer who had taken a more active interest in the hockey operations department.

Meruelo said Bettman and Daly laid out the average career for an NHL player and compared that to the amount of years the Coyotes would have played in Mullett. They argued that it was possible, based on the new timeline, for a Coyotes player to never have a chance to call an actual NHL arena home.

Bettman said it became clear to him that "there was no way Alex Meruelo was going to agree to this if he wasn't going to have an opportunity to reactivate the franchise."

Satisfying Meruelo was the NHL's most challenging task in the transaction. Multiple sources told ESPN at the All-Star Game that there was concern Meruelo could get litigious if the league attempted to emancipate the franchise from him and force a relocation.

Meruelo will remain an "observer" at the board of governors, as the owner of a deactivated team.

One key aspect of the compromise: Meruelo would not need NHL board of governors' approval to restart the franchise, according to Daly. "He's already been approved as an NHL owner," he told ESPN.

According to sources, the Coyotes players who are signed through next season have "genuine excitement" about the move to Utah from a hockey perspective. They know that, as was the case with the Golden Knights and Kraken, the novelty of playing in a new market will immediately put them in the spotlight. Expect Utah's first home game to be on national television, for example. They anticipate Utah will be able to attract better free agents because they won't be concerned about the stability of the franchise.

The league as a whole has been a joke for a while now, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest anymore. Add it to the list of lockouts, gambling $$$, distracting ads during play, fanatics jerseys, handling of Blackhawks/Beach, joke of a player safety department, retroactively punishing teams for things that were legal, etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The league as a whole has been a joke for a while now, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest anymore. Add it to the list of lockouts, gambling $$$, distracting ads during play, fanatics jerseys, handling of Blackhawks/Beach, joke of a player safety department, retroactively punishing teams for things that were legal, etc.
You can't ever forget that the NHL BOG approves all owners. From Spanos, to Boots, to all of these Coyotes owners, not to mention Protecting their own for hiding a sexual assault.

Yes, those owners are bad, but the NHL let them into their little club.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

CsyP.gif

Reactions: Flik and I am toxic

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Leafs played pretty well, Bruins look slow and lethargic. The Bruins goal was a mixture of panic play and bad luck. Outside of the first rush to Leafs, the Bruins can't seem to get things going.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He has a no movement clause, he’s going nowhere

Takes a second to lift it.

Agent convinces him he can go to a new team and convinces him about the pros if that new city.

Leafs not afraid to sit their injured player (Mathew’s)

If petey is hurt it’s time to sit him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Pasta maybe injured, awkwardly kinda fell back over his left leg. Limping and wincing to the bench.

So far hasn't missed a shift.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
On brand for the type of owners the NHL has approved in the past. Shows badly on the NhL as well as AM. Should have just moved the team in 2019 instead of approving AM as new owner. But they wanted Sea in at $650 mill. And likely couldn’t show a lower price for AZ getting sold and moved.
I agree.
Speaking of Seattle, I think that has been a big hit. Living in Washington now I can see that the fans have embraced the team. Climate Pledge Arena is also such a f***ing good arena. The food is actually good, they have a huge moss wall on one side of the arena. Sitting on the BAR seats you really feel how open the arena feels. You can just get up and get a beer/food (and it's actually f***ing good) and sit back down without missing that much.

I can't say enough good things about Climate Pledge.

Reactions: vanuck and sting101

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
There's really no negative for the Leafs series. If they lose tonight, great; another first round exit by TLM. You love to see it.

If they come back and win the series, great; back to back first round choke jobs by Marchant and the Bruins. You love to see it.

Just happiness no matter what the result. 😀

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree.
Speaking of Seattle, I think that has been a big hit. Living in Washington now I can see that the fans have embraced the team. Climate Pledge Arena is also such a f***ing good arena. The food is actually good, they have a huge moss wall on one side of the arena. Sitting on the BAR seats you really feel how open the arena feels. You can just get up and get a beer/food (and it's actually f***ing good) and sit back down without missing that much.

How is it getting in/out of the area? That's the main negative I've heard when they decided to rebuild the Key Arena vs what Hansen wanted in the SoDo district for his NBA arena, which had to close off a street which didn't sit well with the neighbourhood.

One thing that I'm curious about is the return of the Sonics, which just seems like a when not an If. Is that OVG owns the building, city owns the land, so OVG has to make some money back as they see zero increase in the land value of the arena. Kraken take a share of revenue, then the Sonics will as well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I agree.

went this year its open and easy to get around. Opening act is outstanding

lots of good food and drink choices easy to get to bathrooms without long waits.

They dd a great job....not cheap though

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I cheered on the Raptors when they won the NBA championship, and (after finally getting over the death of the Expos) I have followed the Blue Jays here and there when they have their momentary periods of semi-competence, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for the Leafs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i dont get the distaste for fans from the other teams in Canada and mostly wish them well and would prefer to have a Canadian passionate fanbase get rewarded than an american city and team.

What i do not like is any team that is trying to beat or punk my Canucks and insufferable media and certain players.

The Leafs core is about as insufferable as it gets as is their media attention and how they thought they had a cup team before they won jack shit.

And i just cannot support the OIlers and their tanking for #1 overalls that led to rule changes just because they were so pathetic about it and then finally got rewarded with the best player since Gretzky probably when it's all said and done.

The fact they have added dueshy players like Kane and Perry just adds to my distaste for that franchise ......F them and the Leafs

Other Canadian cities if the Nucks are out i'm supporting as long as the players are not guys i don't like or i just like another team more.

Reactions: MS and quat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad