Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
As far as our forwards go, here's what im seeing.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson - Zacha - Palmieri
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood(when signed) - Boyle - X
X

Any of the following players I believe are still in contention for the last 2 spots available

X = Anderson, Seney, Quenneville, Lappin, Mcleod, Speers and to my surprise Studenic (liked him a lot)

Inside advantage to Anderson, Mcleod, Speers and Lappin because they shoot right and I would think they would prefer a right handed shot on the right side

Not going to make it = Stafford(released), Tangradi, Bastian, Sharangovich, Gignac (liked his game though), Gabriel, Baddock, Rooney, Pietela

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ray signed Gruba and Gabriel this summer.

Both trash players who don't belong anywhere near a NHL jersey

Who else did Ray sign into the organization this summer that were not our own draft picks?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
quenneville and lappin should be on the team out of camp this year. they stick out the most to me as players that are fighting for their careers and it seems to be making a difference in their play

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
quenneville and lappin should be on the team out of camp this year. they stick out the most to me as players that are fighting for their careers and it seems to be making a difference in their play
If that's the case, there may not even be a spot for Wood.

Hall-Hischier-Lappin
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Quenneville-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

Hall-Hischier-Lappin
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Quenneville-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

i don’t know if lappin has a starting spot but he should be on the team

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Gryba, Gabriel and Tangradi were all signed for depth in Bingo, who sucked last year.

All 3 are fine if for Bingo only.

I feel this team lost a lot in the offseason and Ray didn't do anything to fill the gaps.
The pups are not ready yet.

What scares me is that younger vets that we need to step up will not, Sevs, Santini, PZ.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Hall-Hischier-Lappin
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Quenneville-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen
Right. Fastest guy in the league, 3rd leading goalscorer, net front presence and just about the only size and grit we've got.

No place for that on the team.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Right. Fastest guy in the league, 3rd leading goalscorer, net front presence and just about the only size and grit we've got.

No place for that on the team.

I obviously want Wood on this team as the third line LW. He needs to sign a contract like now. He's missed 2/3 games and every practice. He's not even around the team. What I'm just trying to highlight is the fact that there may only be one forward spot open right now. With Lappin, Q, and even Speers, McLeod, and others fighting for that spot, Wood has less and less leverage every day and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up traded.

Reactions: johnny pierogi

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I feel this team lost a lot in the offseason and Ray didn't do anything to fill the gaps.

What scares me is that younger vets that we need to step up will not, Sevs, Santini, PZ.

We didn't lose as much as you think.

And I think it's too soon to say the younger guys aren't ready yet after 3 preseason games.

No one expected guys like Bratt and Butcher to be as vital to the team's success last September, either. It's too soon to tell.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Not sure there was much available for Ray to do. I'm also a little worried about Santini, less so Severson and very hopeful about Zacha. Pavs was the best player on the ice last night.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah...and why would he try it if he didn't think it could work?

He is trying it to see if it works. Also just to see what Lappin can really do. If Lappin is playing with those two then linemates can't be an excuse. But the chances of him looking better than either Bratt or Palms is pretty slim. He won't stick there.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Is Boyle too slow for our lineup? He's a great guy and I can see his value as a veteran, but he might not be the best fit skill-wise with some of the younger players that could make the team. Perhaps he should be the 13th forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln