Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
So since we were talking about our prospects before the last thread closed, I personally think McLeod will spend a lot of the year in Binghamton before getting more of a chance next year. Boyle should be gone and Zajac will be in his last season. I think he’ll be a middle-six center, and long term he should be replacing Zajac in that role.

Ty Smith looks great so far. Assuming he goes straight back to Spokane (most likely, but who knows), he’ll be ready next year.

But to answer someone else’s question: we shouldn’t expect a prospect haul like last year every season, but we should expect a couple of good ones every year. There is plenty of preseason left but so far, the people making the best case have been with the team before. Ideally I’d like to see someone get their first shot.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I would rather McLeod start out in the AHL if it means he's going to get top minutes at center. If our one spot is going to be a bottom 6 wing role, give it to either JQ, Anderson or Lappin.

Truthfully, if Lappin shows he can produce, I'm fine with him being the 4th line winger/spare forward role. Lets our other guys develop and play more meaningful minutes in Binghamton.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah, I would rather McLeod start out in the AHL if it means he's going to get top minutes at center. If our one spot is going to be a bottom 6 wing role, give it to either JQ, Anderson or Lappin.

Truthfully, if Lappin shows he can produce, I'm fine with him being the 4th line winger/spare forward role. Lets our other guys develop and play more meaningful minutes in Binghamton.

Lappin is battling Stafford for the extra forward role right now, IMO. With a strong showing, he has a chance to earn his spot in the starting 12 on opening night, but I could see the Devils being content with carrying him around as the extra body too.

We still don't have any clear extra forwards after the main 11 -- Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Johansson, Zacha, Palmieri, Coleman, Zajac, Noesen, Wood, and Boyle. In all honesty, Zacha and Bratt's spots are hardly set in stone either as both can be moved down the line-up and in Bratt's case, technically sent to the AHL.

Quenneville, Anderson, McLeod, and Seney are all battling for that 12th spot. Speers and Lappin have a shot at squeezing their way in there as well but it would be because the first four are underwhelming or Speers/Lappin have the camps of their lives.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
for the sake of development, you have to think it's better for a guy like Lappin or JQ to be up as the 4th line winger or the 13th forward over guys like McLeod, Anderson, Speers, etc. No?

Reactions: devilsblood

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Amanda won’t be at the morning skate so unless Morales is there we won’t have any idea who is playing tomorrow since Ryan is slow to update and Abbey is useless.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Sounds like Lappin is having a good preseason so far - keep in mind he also needs to clear waivers to be sent to Binghamton. I think this gives him an edge in making the roster. If he doesn't, the Devils are basically giving up on him.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Wood wasn't in the opening night roster, opening up another forward spot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
for the sake of development, you have to think it's better for a guy like Lappin or JQ to be up as the 4th line winger or the 13th forward over guys like McLeod, Anderson, Speers, etc. No?

JQ, McLeod, and Anderson should all be top nine or AHL, IMO.

Seney and Speers should either be getting third line minutes or fourth line minutes with special teams time if they stay up. I don't think they will end up higher in the line-up than that.

Lappin can get 7 minutes of ice time on the fourth line. He's 26 so he pretty much is what he is at this point.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Would certainly have to think so. Have to believe Lappin and JQ have a slight edge over the rest of the guys at this point. Especially as it seems like they have both come into camp knowing this may be their last/best shot at being a full time NHLer and have worked hard this offseason getting in better shape.

Going to be some really tough decisions. Anderson, Seney, McLeod & Speers all in the conversation as well, plus could be another surprise or two. Not to mention Stafford, especially as a 13th/14th forward .

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Amanda won’t be at the morning skate so unless Morales is there we won’t have any idea who is playing tomorrow since Ryan is slow to update and Abbey is useless.

Masisak has been at pretty much everything since he started, and even so I suspect the social media people can get the lines out without Amanda.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
JQ, McLeod, and Anderson should all be top nine or AHL, IMO.

Seney and Speers should either be getting third line minutes or fourth line minutes with special teams time if they stay up. I don't think they will end up higher in the line-up than that.

Lappin can get 7 minutes of ice time on the fourth line. He's 26 so he pretty much is what he is at this point.

I was more talking about the Andersons, McLeods, etc developing. Lappin is what he is at this point. I'd rather him sit up here and have the rest of the kids play quality minutes and adjust to being a pro.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I wonder if Shero will grow impatient and just trade Wood's ass

Knowing Ray I can imagine him at least testing the waters making inquiries behind the scenes just to have options. It's anyone's guess what his perceived value might be to other clubs though.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Not taking anything away from Wood and the value he brings to this team...but he was a 4th line winger last year and only averaged 12:28 of ice time. Yeah, we all expect him to make another leap this season...but until that happens, he's still just a 4th line winger with tremendous upside. He can be replaced in the short term and has more to lose the longer this goes on.

He already made out well burning a year of his ELC in the 2015-2016 season. Hopefully the two sides reach a compromise soon. Shero seems to be rather fair when it comes to contracts, so I feel like Wood is probably asking too much, but who knows.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is there precedent for Shero dealing with holdouts in Pittsburgh? I don't remember too many nasty ones offhand.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
JQ looked noticeably quicker. He could be a guy who steals a top 6 spot away from someone like Bratt. I'm not sure if he can play RW, but that would significantly increase his chances.

Reactions: EdisonDevil

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Agree with this. JQ especially. He has nothing further to develop in AHL. His done his time, produced well (abit with some injury interupted times). His ready for a NHL chance to prove he can stick.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Shero does not seem impatient at all. He made no additions to this team in the offseason and decided to stay with the rebuild rather than doing what many would do and add free agents.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
JQ looked noticeably quicker. He could be a guy who steals a top 6 spot away from someone like Bratt. I'm not sure if he can play RW, but that would significantly increase his chances.

More likely going to steal a LW spot from Wood.

Bratt has displayed talent JQ has never at any point in his career and I like JQ.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I also wonder if JQ dropped the gloves to show he’s willing to provide the physical backup the Devils lose with Wood not currently in the fold. JQ just seems like he’ll do anything to get his shot this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That’s the conventional wisdom that most teams appear to subscribe to. I get it for a fourth line role that a guy who is marginally better than the much younger player is still marginally better. On a rebuilding team I’m not sure that margin is worth it if the younger player could slingshot past the vet by the end of the season. That was my thought on the Lovejoy v Santini as RD3 last season but the team made the playoffs so in hindsight the decision made short term sense.

I could see Lappin and JQ benefiting from that thinking if they are on par with the younger prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad