Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
1. Do you want me to put together a list of guys who are a s***load better than Mueller that have been drafted in the second round the past few years? Especially with Castron at the helm, it's even more valuable than other teams with below average scouting departments. It is different when you are trading a 2nd to add a player at the trade deadline.

2. Its pretty slim I agree, but I still wouldn't give up that chance so that we can acquire a guy like Mueller who seems destined to be a career bottom pairing D. You could sign those every single summer for nothing but cap space. Or draft them in the 4th and 5th rounds.

3. No, its not a win. Because I think it is better to have the chance at drafting a player who has a 5% chance to turn out to be elite or a superstar in the 2nd round, than getting a bottom pairing D. Bottom pairing D are so easy to sign in offseason. With a 2nd round pick, sure if you get a bottom pairing D its okay, but thats not what you're hoping for when you draft a player.

Stop defending every single move Shero has ever made. He has literally made unbelievablely great trades as Devils GM. However the Mueller deal was not a good trade. At least for now...

You are absolutely correct about their success. But, 2nd round picks aren't "traded like candy". 2nd round picks generally bring back value. Because some of those 2nd rounders end up being Patrice Bergeron or Shea Weber. Mueller isn't going to be Weber. I'll be thrilled if he's a serviceable bottom 4 defensive defenseman. If you want to trade for one of those at the trade deadline, those guys generally don't go for more than a 2nd round pick.

Whatever. The deal is done. I'm rooting for Mueller to add value.

I was just reacting to the notion that it's somehow too early to judge the trade.

there are good players selected in every round going back through history....getting an elite player in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th is an outlier, not something that even remotely is likely.

Like I said, my point was lets relax with the "WE 100% LOST THE TRADE!" crap. Its too early for that. Lets see what Mueller brings this year and if he can stay healthy before we make that call definitively either way.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
We overpaid for Mueller because Pete Chiarelli traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.

The price for defensemen seemed to go up after that, for at least a little while.

I'm still surprised we only had to give up Henrique and Blandisi (and a 3rd or something?) for Vatanen.
Like when the Flames overpaid the Brooklanders for Hamonic, who isn’t even as good as Larsson.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My problem with the Mueller trade wasn't even over-payment. It's that we traded for a 3rd pairing defenseman who had 2nd pairing upside when we were already stocked with such players. I would rather have used the 2nd and taken a shot at someone with a higher ceiling.

The Devils weren't stacked with such players, and they definitely didn't have any that are Mueller's age, which was somewhat critical here. Mueller's 3 years younger than Merrill and 4 years younger than Moore. The Devils were lucky enough to sign Butcher, but the organization was pretty short on D his age up until that point.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Some of you folks kvetch just to kvetch. “Why don’t we spend to the cap just to spend? Why don’t we take cap dumps? Why don’t we re-sign John Moore? We’re even worse now because of it, bruh!”. Take a breath, peoples.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
meh... pretty even trade there helping both teams, don't you think? Henrique would have been 2nd in most of our offensive categories last year.
It was a pretty even trade, that's what I'm saying.

My point was that with how much other defensemen were going for (way overpayment), I'm surprised it didn't cost us more than that.

Reactions: Maine Fan

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Wow... 2 pages of bickering over a guy saying "seems like, maybe."

Please can we start this season so we can argue about shit that doesn't matter in the present instead of shit that doesn't matter from the past?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wow... 2 pages of bickering over a guy saying "seems like, maybe."

Please can we start this season so we can argue about **** that doesn't matter in the present instead of **** that doesn't matter from the past?

Is this where I start the "our PP looks like shit in meaningless preseason games" argument?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

looks like hynes like gryba

i don't see space for him though. prob a call-up
---
Nice to know that hynes also recognized bratt's lack of shooting last game

Why did those reporters ask four separate questions about Eric f***ing Gryba? I'm getting flashbacks to 2014-15 when all the coverage was on Jordin Tootoo's book. Like dear lord, ask about someone significant, not some scrub who shouldn't come anywhere near the NHL roster.

Reactions: Bleedred

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why aren’t we taking a cap dump for some draft picks? We have a ridiculous amount of cap space.

Depends on the cap dump. Hossa's got three more years left on his, so perhaps you don't want to have that albatross around for too long. Didn't matter as much for Arizona, but Hall/Nico/Vatanen might be looking at some big pay raises soon.

I'll have to look up the timing of LTIR, but Detroit might look into Franzen and/or Zetterberg as they're currently a few million over the cap. The situation has to make sense. Allegedly we were the fall back option to take Pavel Datsyuk's cap hit, so it's not like Ray hasn't dabbled in those sort of trades like we did with Marc Savard.

Not sure how many cap dump trade opportunities there are right now outside of Detroit. Sure there are active guys like Milan Lucic, but now you start wondering if that's a deal you want and whether the player has a NTC/NMC to block.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Is this where I start the "our PP looks like **** in meaningless preseason games" argument?

You can if you want, but be prepared for people to get meaninglessly upset at you for it. At least it's recent arguing, which is nice.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hynes is going to be spitting fire st them. They took the foot off the gas in the third and just way way too many penalties.

You aren’t going to score if you are on the PK for half the game.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The Devils weren't stacked with such players, and they definitely didn't have any that are Mueller's age, which was somewhat critical here. Mueller's 3 years younger than Merrill and 4 years younger than Moore. The Devils were lucky enough to sign Butcher, but the organization was pretty short on D his age up until that point.

Butcher also signed two months after NJ acquired Mueller. If Butcher was in the organization at the time, who knows if Shero still makes the trade with SJ.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like one thing that Ty really has going against him is the overload on defense/waiver eligible guys under contract.

As it is, Vatanen, Greene, Severson, Butcher, Mueller, Lovejoy and Santini will all be on the team. Then Yakovlev (did I spell it right?) is a wild card. I can see him making the team and us carrying 8D, but I don't think we're carry 8D if Smith is one of them. Maybe we will though. I'd rather see Smith than Santini and Lovejoy, that's for sure. Although I do think Santini can be alright to decent with sheltered, bottom pairing minutes/competition.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If one of MJ or JQ can move to RW I can see JQ being in the top 6. He looks great so far. Looks like a definite NHLer.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
My problem with the Mueller trade wasn't even over-payment. It's that we traded for a 3rd pairing defenseman who had 2nd pairing upside when we were already stocked with such players. I would rather have used the 2nd and taken a shot at someone with a higher ceiling.

Like who? Merrill? Mueller is better than Merrill.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I feel like one thing that Ty really has going against him is the overload on defense/waiver eligible guys under contract.

As it is, Vatanen, Greene, Severson, Butcher, Mueller, Lovejoy and Santini will all be on the team. Then Yakovlev (did I spell it right?) is a wild card. I can see him making the team and us carrying 8D, but I don't think we're carry 8D if Smith is one of them. Maybe we will though. I'd rather see Smith than Santini and Lovejoy, that's for sure. Although I do think Santini can be alright to decent with sheltered, bottom pairing minutes/competition.

Santini hasn't shown any reason why he should stay up on the NHL team. He's not a shoe in right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Santini hasn't shown any reason why he should stay up on the NHL team. He's not a shoe in right now.
I think he's now waiver eligible, so he'll be on the roster.

As I predicted a while back though, I think he'll start on the main roster, but be a healthy scratch on opening night, unless we have some injuries. Though I did make that prediction before Santini was (surprisingly) given that extension, which I thought was more term and dollars than he'd receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad