Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I felt a lot better with last year's team at this point.

I'm struggling to find optimism after a meager summer and punchless start to the preseason

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Over-under 2.5 regular season games before someone makes that point for real?

"I long for the days of the Moore-Merrill pairing. We were much better off back then."

But in all seriousness, anyone who says they felt better at this point last season is fooling themselves. Maybe it's because we had one of the worst seasons in franchise history the year before and so expectations were low compared to this summer where we're coming off a playoff appearance. Was anyone aside from Jim expecting Blake Coleman to have the season he had last year? Was anyone really believing Stefan Noesen would be a vital part of the team's success? Or that'd we'd manage to be fine without our big trade acquisition in Johansson missing almost 3/4s of the season? That Brian Gibbons would lead our team in goals until mid December? :laugh:

It's all so silly. We have a bunch of young forwards who could potentially grow and give us depth but people still focus on the shiny objects we could have had in UFA.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I wasn't making a declarative statement. I was questioning what someone else said.

Speed doesn't mean much if you can't put it together with hands and finish.

Exactly. Speed shouldn't equate to "out of control" which is what Wood still shows more often than not. I still believe Woods effectiveness is best utilized with minimal time touching the puck. Being a net front presence would suit both him and the team well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
"I long for the days of the Moore-Merrill pairing. We were much better off back then."

But in all seriousness, anyone who says they felt better at this point last season is fooling themselves. Maybe it's because we had one of the worst seasons in franchise history the year before and so expectations were low compared to this summer where we're coming off a playoff appearance. Was anyone aside from Jim expecting Blake Coleman to have the season he had last year? Was anyone really believing Stefan Noesen would be a vital part of the team's success? Or that'd we'd manage to be fine without our big trade acquisition in Johansson missing almost 3/4s of the season? That Brian Gibbons would lead our team in goals until mid December? :laugh:

It's all so silly. We have a bunch of young forwards who could potentially grow and give us depth but people still focus on the shiny objects we could have had in UFA.

We felt better last camp cause we had shiny new toys in Nico, Butcher and Bratt, who all had great camps. This year, not so much, Seney has fallen by the wayside after early camp hype. Joey Anderson could fit the new toy definition if he had a big camp. A guy like Quenneville is going to get looked at more skeptically with his good camp cause he failed before.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Miles Wood is the fastest guy in the league?
He's certainly in the discussion. If he's not the fastest, he's gotta be within just a hair of whoever is.

Is Boyle too slow for our lineup? He's a great guy and I can see his value as a veteran, but he might not be the best fit skill-wise with some of the younger players that could make the team. Perhaps he should be the 13th forward...
I'm beginning to wonder that myself. It all boils down to what you want the 4th line to be. If you want an "energy line" with goons, grit, and size, he's you're man. I personal think we're pretty close to the point where we have enough pieces to make another scoring line. Something like Coleman centering Wood and Bratt/Quenneville, Lappin, etc would have a chance at being awfully effective.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I felt a lot better with last year's team at this point.

I'm struggling to find optimism after a meager summer and punchless start to the preseason

yeah theres no way thats true.

last year at this time, we have no idea that Bratt, Butcher, and Nico would even be in the NHL let alone have the seasons they did.

re-freaking-lax. Your act is tired

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah last year set a pretty damn high standard for preseason excitment. This year we have fewer spots available, thus more bubble players/guys that are comfortably on the team in the lineup.

Reactions: NJDevs26

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
yeah theres no way thats true.

last year at this time, we have no idea that Bratt, Butcher, and Nico would even be in the NHL let alone have the seasons they did.

re-freaking-lax. Your act is tired

Not so sure about that. After three pre-season games last year Bratt had 2 goals and an assist, Nico had 2 goals and the team was 2-0-1.

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad