Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well in going over last night again:

-Really disappointed in the first line's inability to get anything going. Seemed like they were knocked off the puck a bit easier than you'd expect, and they had a tough time setting up in the zone all night.

-Wood-Zajac-Coleman is a line I can definitely get behind. They were our most dangerous trio of the night, had a few really solid looks that they couldn't connect on before Coleman potted his goal. I think they're a perfect combination of a responsible center in Zajac, a tenacious forechecker in Coleman and a wild man in Wood who can break free at any moment. Not much more can be said about these guys. Wood has definitely been much better over the last few weeks, Zajac as tradition is having a solid year and going largely unnoticed, and Coleman has arguably been our most consistent player all year long.

-I know it would go against logic, however if we have a way to keep Boyle somehow, I'd prefer to see it.

-Our defense has severe issues tracking the puck once it's on net. They all appear to instinctively crowd the crease in hopes of containing the situation, yet pucks squirt free constantly and our goalie has no ability to make an additional save through the maze. Along with that, we get spun around when the team has possession so frequently and it leads to what Greene said, looking like headless chickens.

-Kinkaid had a strong game, and clearly kept the team in it in the 2nd. We could have easily had a repeat of the last game against Toronto if it weren't for some key stops.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
A comment on the Philly board regarding tomorrow's contest

"I can smell their lineup from here"

And yet, there they are, at the bottom of the standings right with us.

This isn't the pot calling the kettle black, it's diarrhea calling the turd a piece of shit.

(I edited my insult, it makes more sense this way :laugh: )

Last edited:

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Well in going over last night again:

-Really disappointed in the first line's inability to get anything going. Seemed like they were knocked off the puck a bit easier than you'd expect, and they had a tough time setting up in the zone all night.

-Wood-Zajac-Coleman is a line I can definitely get behind. They were our most dangerous trio of the night, had a few really solid looks that they couldn't connect on before Coleman potted his goal. I think they're a perfect combination of a responsible center in Zajac, a tenacious forechecker in Coleman and a wild man in Wood who can break free at any moment. Not much more can be said about these guys. Wood has definitely been much better over the last few weeks, Zajac as tradition is having a solid year and going largely unnoticed, and Coleman has arguably been our most consistent player all year long.

-I know it would go against logic, however if we have a way to keep Boyle somehow, I'd prefer to see it.

-Our defense has severe issues tracking the puck once it's on net. They all appear to instinctively crowd the crease in hopes of containing the situation, yet pucks squirt free constantly and our goalie has no ability to make an additional save through the maze. Along with that, we get spun around when the team has possession so frequently and it leads to what Greene said, looking like headless chickens.

-Kinkaid had a strong game, and clearly kept the team in it in the 2nd. We could have easily had a repeat of the last game against Toronto if it weren't for some key stops.

I feel like the first line was up against matthews or tavares all night which did not help at all.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The only thing more feeble than our lineup last night is the Flyers' goaltending situation.

Like I said, they're right with us towards the bottom. Neither team has much shade they can throw at the other.

That's not true.

Hart has been very good for a young rookie.

With Hall and our full lineup we are right there with them but the point being made is our lineup last night is bottom feeding.

If we had that lineup all season we would be comfortably holding last place of the league by a lot

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I agree. But what does that middle ground really look like, not just results wise but also performance wise?
If you are looking for a comparable team, Florida had 1 less point than the Devils last year and they have 3 more this year. Over a year and a half there is a 2 point difference.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think its hilarious how much DD loves to pump up other teams and tear down our team

Keep on doing you friend

I'm doing neither.

Just stating facts and my opinions.

Nothing I've said today can be disputed.

Our lineup last night was absolutely trash, worse than any in the league on paper

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think its hilarious how much DD loves to pump up other teams and tear down our team

Keep on doing you friend

Can't say he's wrong... Our lineup last night was horrible.

The more I think about it, the more I think that there's no way in hell that Taylor Hall stays here unless Shero can make some amazing acquisitions during the offseason.

Those acquisitions will be close to impossible to get because I'm talking about a #2 center and a #1 LHD.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Who said our lineup was great last night? Not one person.

Are we going to be honest though and remember that the league MVP is injured as is another of our top 6 forwards? How about our young goaltender who has been a stud so far?

Honesty.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Any thoughts on what Nico’s next contract will look like? Nylander/Eichel type money or shorter show-me bridge deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad