Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
When your team is dumping pucks and giving possession over to the other team down a goal with three minutes and theyre not pressuring you - your team has mailed it in

Im tryyyyyying to give Hynes the benefit of the doubt on the moral being generally low this season but shit like that is just amateur, both for players and coaches. Even kids know better than to just give away possession when your team has the puck and the opposition is playing passive.

Stuff like this, shooting wide on purpose, and allowing guys to skate towards the net free of charge is just sad and pathetic. They must have sent in their efforts along with their Christmas lists to Santa because that performance made me realize Im so glad I dont go to 41 games anymore

Reactions: Billdo

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Can we offer up our entire roster to Seattle for the rights to all their expansion picks? I’d do it in a heartbeat

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i’ll just say it, we won’t be doing ourselves any favors by beating philly

Eh I don't know, everyone went ape**** over John Moore's late-season OT goal against the Flyers a couple years back that bumped us from 3 to 5, and boom we win the lottery out of the 5 hole. I'd rather not completely suck for months and months, not gonna do any good for the players that are supposed to be part of the solution...if we're in March that's one thing, then it's only a few games. But there's too much time left to keep playing like a MacLean team. 2012 doesn't happen without Lemaire straightening them out in 2011.

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Eh I don't know, everyone went ape**** over John Moore's late-season OT goal against the Flyers a couple years back that bumped us from 3 to 5, and boom we win the lottery out of the 5 hole. I'd rather not completely suck for months and months, not gonna do any good for the players that are supposed to be part of the solution...if we're in March that's one thing, then it's only a few games. But there's too much time left to keep playing like a MacLean team. 2012 doesn't happen without Lemaire straightening them out in 2011.

I don't want to lose, i'd still rather see this team fight it out. not good for retaining players if you are a bottom barrel mentality. How long did it take the leafs to get out of it.... even with all that losing. Shit EDM has barely gotten out of that (although now maybe they turned a corner... Carolina still there. Buffalo also barely out.

Once you get in that loser mentality, very hard to break out of it each season the "vets" expect to have a losing season based on experience.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I completely decided to not watch today's game after seeing we were down 3-0. I went ahead and watched some 2003 Stanley Cup Finals highlights.

Have we had a night honoring that team recently? I feel like no one talks about Jeff Friesen and I've never heard of him do anything with the Devils. Guy was huge in that playoff run.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There is a chance we can win on Saturday , if Big Mac starts
I think there's a chance we can win on Saturday with Cam Janssen in net.

Philly blows.

Yes, that's Cam JANSSEN, not Cam Johnson. Who we also would have a chance to win with against Philly.

Reactions: nugg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol I really could care less about Devils-Flyers Saturday, other than hoping nobody gets hurt when they go all goon squad on us. It'd be one thing if we were trying to knock them out of the playoffs but it's not like beating them would really play spoiler since they're even further out of it than we are.

I completely decided to not watch today's game after seeing we were down 3-0. I went ahead and watched some 2003 Stanley Cup Finals highlights.

Have we had a night honoring that team recently? I feel like no one talks about Jeff Friesen and I've never heard of him do anything with the Devils. Guy was huge in that playoff run.

Why would we have a night honoring the team yet other than maybe the 10th anniversary? I know there've been some commemoration nights like the last year at the Meadowlands when they were giving out team pictures every year or one of the first seasons at the Rock when they did a thing for all the championship teams. But usually the big anniversaries are the 20th/25th/50th. 10th maybe if you're desperate to live in the past. For a while when we first moved to the Rock we were bordering on that.

And Friesen was a great player for a month, mediocre-meh the rest of his two years here and then flamed out. He was the definition of a one-hit wonder.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It is Vatanen, unless Wood or Severson passed him tonight.

The worst on this team (before tonight) was only a -13.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I should've accounted for Vats knack for scoring on us too, forgot about that

And yeah he gets leaned on heavily with minutes

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vats is now at a -16.
I was using hockey reference, which doesn't update tonight's results until tomorrow morning.

One random thing I just now noticed on hockey reference, the top 12 players on the team all time based on point shares are Brodeur, Elias, Niedermayer, Stevens, Rafalski, MacLean, Daneyko, Driver, Greene, Parise, Holik and Schneider. In that order.

I don't even see where it lists point shares on individual players stat pages, outside of goalies, but I'm surprised Zajac is not in the top 12 on that.

Never mind. I found it! Zajac currently has 48 point shares, while Schneider and Holik both have 49. He should pass them both pretty soon. He should at least tie them by the end of the year, if not pass them and have 50 by the end of this year, at this current pace. Gomez has 48.6 as a Devil, so Zajac is about ready to pass him and just passed him in points as a Devil recently. I expect he'll pass Parise who has 52 before his career is over and maybe even Greene, who is currently at 53. Probably doesn't pass Driver at 57, unless he plays beyond his current contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->