Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Who said our lineup was great last night? Not one person.

Are we going to be honest though and remember that the league MVP is injured as is another of our top 6 forwards? How about our young goaltender who has been a stud so far?

Honesty.

We're hot garbage with Hall so far this year and Mojo has been crapped on since he got here but yes, we are missing two solid players but unfortunately for us... it doesn't change much to our current team.

I got to say that I'm really impressed by Blackwood's play so far and let's hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Any thoughts on what Nico’s next contract will look like? Nylander/Eichel type money or shorter show-me bridge deal?

no way he gets Eichel money

I think the Nylander deal is a fair comparison if he gets a longterm deal. He had 61 points 2 years in a row. Something like $7 million/year

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I can see something like 7M$ per for the next 8 years.

If Shero can get a deal like that one done, Nico would be a steal 4 years down the line.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I agree. But what does that middle ground really look like, not just results wise but also performance wise?

It's being within a few games of .500. It's Schneider and Kinkaid both being .902-.908 goalies. It is what it is. We aren't this bad but we're not a "good team".

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
such bad hockey; so many games left.

kR0wWHn.gif

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The current roster is not good and not playing well this season overall, especially with the injured players

That does not mean that there is no future for this team or that there is no hope.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
does his contract take him into ufa? it so i’d like to see him extended this offseason. assuming hall gets the C after greene i expect coleman to take zajac’s A

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
does his contract take him into ufa? it so i’d like to see him extended this offseason. assuming hall gets the C after greene i expect coleman to take zajac’s A

yes

he can't be extended this offseason as he signed a 3 year deal. The earliest he could be extended would be July 1, 2020.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
At this point, all I want out of this season is for us to at least get back to playing competitive hockey. I need more and more reassurance by the day that we're not as bad as our record is, for my sake and for Hall's sake.

I'm still not worrying necessarily because he seems to genuinely like management, Hynes and being here. But with how bad we've been, the optimism can waver.

I don't fear that Shero will make the mistake of waiting on Hall, though. If he gives any inclination other than he wants to stay, I have to imagine he deals him.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... I think I semi-confirmed what I said about Cory being coached to stay deeper in the net. It seems Mac Black has been given the same advice from Rollie:

From - Behind the save: How Mackenzie Blackwood's technique and... (paywall)

“I’ve worked on managing my depth, that’s huge,” he said, referring to shifting his game so that he stays in the blue paint as much as possible.

That doesn’t mean he avoids the white altogether. When there’s an offensive rush and he’s looking to take away corners as an opposing skater approaches, he may edge his way out of the crease and start at the top before working his way back into position.

Once the play is in his zone, though, Blackwood prefers to stay in a more conservative position. To him, there should never be a point where he faces a redirection, unexpected pass, or second shot attempt off of a rebound where he’s too far out to get across to a new position for the next save.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
how hilarious would it be if Schneider comes back and regains his elite form for the 2nd half of the season and we end up with like the 12th pick

it ain't never gonna happen, but still...could you imagine?

Reactions: Billdo

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So... I think I semi-confirmed what I said about Cory being coached to stay deeper in the net. It seems Mac Black has been given the same advice from Rollie:

From - Behind the save: How Mackenzie Blackwood's technique and... (paywall)

I don't know if it's necessarily just playing deeper. If I'm remembering correctly, a criticism of his play in prior years was that he was all over the place and tried to rely way too much on his athleticism to bail him out. Staying in the crease and a more controlled game seems to be working a lot better for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad