Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
how hilarious would it be if Schneider comes back and regains his elite form for the 2nd half of the season and we end up with like the 12th pick

it ain't never gonna happen, but still...could you imagine?

If Schneider came back and was elite again, that’d be well worth the shift in draft position for years going forward.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
how hilarious would it be if Schneider comes back and regains his elite form for the 2nd half of the season and we end up with like the 12th pick

it ain't never gonna happen, but still...could you imagine?
It'd be hilarious for the meltdowns and polarized opinions on the board, I'll give you that...

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
It'd be hilarious for the meltdowns and polarized opinions on the board, I'll give you that...

That one guy who says if Schneider posts a .920 the rest of the year he will still have a .905 for the year and we should release him does not care how well he plays

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nah. Winning cures all ills.

Unfortunately Cory is not a winner and never has been regardless of what falsehoods his SV% might have been telling.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
would love to see cory regain form. would like all 3 to play well and each get a period per game to stay fresh and why the hell not. need some entertainment this season

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
giphy.gif

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
This has been my gripe for a few years now. Even if we don't have multiple top tier defenseman, even one would go a looooong way towards helping this team. It would allow everyone to slot down a notch.

1LD-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy/Santini

I'm all for Hughes but we NEED to acquire a bonafide LD1 at some point.
I mean, it's premature to slot him at LD1, but Smith needs to factor into that left side in some capacity by next season.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I feel he definitely will. He had a great camp, he's having a good year with Spokane, and he looked really disappointed not to make the team this year. It was most definitely for the best as I wouldn't want him with this tire fire right now but I think he will be more than ready to step in next year.

If we can add Smith, jettison some chaff, and get stabilized in net then it should hopefully represent a positive step in the right direction from the current disaster we see out there. What worries me is the coaching side of things...

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
I feel he definitely will. He had a great camp, he's having a good year with Spokane, and he looked really disappointed not to make the team this year. It was most definitely for the best as I wouldn't want him with this tire fire right now but I think he will be more than ready to step in next year.

If we can add Smith, jettison some chaff, and get stabilized in net then it should hopefully represent a positive step in the right direction from the current disaster we see out there. What worries me is the coaching side of things...

You're definitely not alone there. The lack of adaptability is scary. That's such an important attribute as far as coaching goes. You'd hope it's something that Hynes and co. can learn as they gain experience, but I dunno ...

Reactions: mtnet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think part of the coaching issue is Hynes trying to realize Shero’s vision of the team and putting a bunch of square pegs in round holes. Some of that is also to appease the boss in my view. Shero’s UFAs at least at times play bigger roles than they should. The weird defensive punishment was doled out to Mueller but to Sevs and Santini before that who were old regime guys. I don’t think it drives Hynes’ thinking but it’s a subtle influence that I can see beongbat work to some extent and causing problems.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think part of the coaching issue is Hynes trying to realize Shero’s vision of the team and putting a bunch of square pegs in round holes. Some of that is also to appease the boss in my view. Shero’s UFAs at least at times play bigger roles than they should. The weird defensive punishment was doled out to Mueller but to Sevs and Santini before that who were old regime guys. I don’t think it drives Hynes’ thinking but it’s a subtle influence that I can see beongbat work to some extent and causing problems.

Severson and Santini were old-regime guys but they both received multi-year extensions to stay here. Hynes scratched Severson down the stretch and in a playoff game in year 1 of a 6 year extension, he's scratched Mueller for who knows how long - I just don't think this plays into his thinking much at all.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Cory is the biggest troll in the league and I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back, play well, screw us out of a pick, and then go back to playing like dogcrap next year. The only expectation I have of the ginger bum is to stay on IR. I don't want to see him on the ice in a Devils uniform ever again. Ray should do whatever it takes to trade him, bury him in the minors, or just launch him into the frigid depths of outer space, where his pathetic reflexes and speed would make him feel right at home.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Cory is the biggest troll in the league and I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back, play well, screw us out of a pick, and then go back to playing like dogcrap next year. The only expectation I have of the ginger bum is to stay on IR. I don't want to see him on the ice in a Devils uniform ever again. Ray should do whatever it takes to trade him, bury him in the minors, or just launch him into the frigid depths of outer space, where his pathetic reflexes and speed would make him feel right at home.

Hey pal, relax its friday

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Schneider came back and was elite again, that’d be well worth the shift in draft position for years going forward.
If he was elite for the rest of this season, that does not mean he'll be elite in the years going forward. The biggest mistake management can make is judging him on a hot 20 or however many games.
That one guy who says if Schneider posts a .920 the rest of the year he will still have a .905 for the year and we should release him does not care how well he plays
Damn right I don't. Because any goalie can be a .920% goalie over a short sample size. Cory was a .923% goalie for 29 games to start last year and even including that stretch and the playoffs, he's a .903% goalie over his last 100 appearances. Management should not be fooled over small sample sizes with him or any such player in a similar state of decline.

There's a very good chance that he's not as bad as his parts of 9 games this season, but having a .920% the rest of this year would just bring him out to his mean over the last 100 games, which is a lower .900's% goalie. Remember when Marty was a .920%-ish goalie for a 60+ game stretch from February 2012 through February of 2013? It was because he wasn't really as bad as the .885% (or whatever it was) goalie to start the 11-12 season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now these are biased posts. I use real facts to back up what I say, while people like this try to rewrite history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->