Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Greene is actually at an even rating after tonight. Butcher is a +1. So if you're using +/- as proof of defensive ability our three best defenders are Lovejoy, Butcher, and Greene.:sarcasm:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Greene is actually at an even rating after tonight. Butcher is a +1. So if you're using +/- as proof of defensive ability our three best defenders are Lovejoy, Butcher, and Greene.:sarcasm:

It's a fine metric for within the same team (INTRA-team) comparisons. As soon as you start comparing player A from team A, with player B from team B, it has a lot less relevance (well you can draw some generalizations)... IMO. But if you compare within the same team, it is pretty clear what it indicates.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a fine metric for within the same team (INTRA-team) comparisons. As soon as you start comparing player A from team A, with player B from team B, it has a lot less relevance (well you can draw some generalizations)... IMO. But if you compare within the same team, it is pretty clear what it indicates.
It's hard to tell with this team due to that dreaded G word.

Which once again, was not a problem in the slightest in tonight's game.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It's hard to tell with this team due to that dreaded G word.

Which once again, was not a problem in the slightest in tonight's game.

I guess to be more specific, I should add to my prior post, that you should also consider TOI, quality of opponent lines, and goaltending... :) But even if you take out the other context, within team it has some merit..

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Gotta say I really appreciate a player like Coleman all the more amid a dismal season. The guy comes to play every night and tries to drive positive impact on every shift...and usually succeeds in some way. Despite whatever his limitations may be offensively he plays a complete game and minds the details.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
A legit top d man over vatanen would improve this team more than a top 10 goalie. Not sure what’s easier to come by.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Read an interesting article once explaining how +/- is useless in every manner, even same team. Something about play outside of 5v5 and so on, cant remember off the top of my head.

Interesting the league still uses it though so they must find it somewhat useful...or do they?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’ve never seen a team give up so many soft goals in the 1st half of a season before. Between lost coverage tap ins and goalies swimming out of position, this team is sunk.

I can’t wait for the Purge. Actually that’s a good theme for a pre trade deadline GDT. (@JK3) Trade off all the pieces that don’t fit for next year and hope we can build up some collateral for the upcoming draft.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Eh I don't know, everyone went ape**** over John Moore's late-season OT goal against the Flyers a couple years back that bumped us from 3 to 5, and boom we win the lottery out of the 5 hole. I'd rather not completely suck for months and months, not gonna do any good for the players that are supposed to be part of the solution...if we're in March that's one thing, then it's only a few games. But there's too much time left to keep playing like a MacLean team. 2012 doesn't happen without Lemaire straightening them out in 2011.

the lower we finish, the better our odds. it’s that simple. i’d rather not suck for months and months either, but we’re already doing that

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
the lower we finish, the better our odds. it’s that simple. i’d rather not suck for months and months either, but we’re already doing that

Marginally better, not enough to really stress over especially months before the event. And the odds are still better we drop back than win a lottery in the new system.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Big Mac vs Hart gives the game at least some juice

A lot of tickets have been already sold for this game, so unless there are tons of no shows the atmosphere can be decent if the Devils actually try to play a good game

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Big Mac vs Hart gives the game at least some juice

A lot of tickets have been already sold for this game, so unless there are tons of no shows the atmosphere fan be decent if the Devils actually try to play a good game
what makes you think Blackwood is playing when he was placed on IR, albeit retroactively?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They were also the one who traded us a 4th for Vernon Fiddler a bit before the deadline. I realize Fiddler used to play there before for quite a few years, but he wasn’t nearly as good as Boyle anymore by that time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A legit top d man over vatanen would improve this team more than a top 10 goalie. Not sure what’s easier to come by.
Adding good players to a shitty system does nothing...

if anyone is old enough to remember the 1992-93 and 1993-94 teams or even the 2010-11 team that is the two most glaring examples in Devils history...

93 to 94 was largely the same team personnel-wise(yeah I know... Brodeur) At least from a core perspective...but the difference between a Herb Brooks coached team and a Jaques Lemaire coached team were so night and day it was like they were completely different teams with completely different abilities.

Same for the Maclean coached team.

A well coached team makes a difference.., a poorly coached team can make good players look terrible and make mediocre players look like minor leaguers.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This has been my gripe for a few years now. Even if we don't have multiple top tier defenseman, even one would go a looooong way towards helping this team. It would allow everyone to slot down a notch.

1LD-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy/Santini

I'm all for Hughes but we NEED to acquire a bonafide LD1 at some point.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
This has been my gripe for a few years now. Even if we don't have multiple top tier defenseman, even one would go a looooong way towards helping this team. It would allow everyone to slot down a notch.

1LD-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy/Santini

I'm all for Hughes but we NEED to acquire a bonafide LD1 at some point.

Byrammmmmmm

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pros for tomorrow

*Possibility of Big Mac starting
*Large 50/50

Cons for tomorrow

*Facing Carter Hart
*a few busses chartered from South Jersey for firefighters, most of them Philly fans
*hearing that nauseating eagles chant

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Adding good players to a ****ty system does nothing...

if anyone is old enough to remember the 1992-93 and 1993-94 teams or even the 2010-11 team that is the two most glaring examples in Devils history...

93 to 94 was largely the same team personnel-wise(yeah I know... Brodeur) At least from a core perspective...but the difference between a Herb Brooks coached team and a Jaques Lemaire coached team were so night and day it was like they were completely different teams with completely different abilities.

Same for the Maclean coached team.

A well coached team makes a difference.., a poorly coached team can make good players look terrible and make mediocre players look like minor leaguers.

Which is why this year vs last season is even more perplexing to me. There are definitely differences between this year's team and last year, like Hall's MVP season and some of the worst goaltending in the league this year. But for the most part, this team is largely the same as the year prior.

Did the coaches/new assistants change things that much between seasons? Were we really just over-achieving that much last year, or are we really under-achieving that much this season? Is there a middle ground where we "should" be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad