Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You only trade Hall if he wont resign.

TRADING RULE #1: He who gets the best player usually wins the trade.

And the odds of either #1 pick turning out as good as Hall are infinitesimally low.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You only trade Hall if he wont resign.

TRADING RULE #1: He who gets the best player usually wins the trade.

And the odds of either #1 pick turning out as good as Hall are infinitesimally low.

not always true. Because contracts factor into it

like I've said a bunch of times, my #1 option is to re-sign him. But getting THREE assets that good back for him is something I would have to consider.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Watching the AHL highlights from last night and saw that Quenneville had a scrap and thought, "that's what he need's to do in NJ".

And I think that thought can go for a couple guys. It's out of his character, but I think Zacha could use a scrap, because he needs to get out of his character.

Remember how great it was last year when Zajac threw down? Certainly out of his character, and I feel he's embraced a grittier role ever since.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Another interesting thing...Damon's GA\60 5v5 has come down a lot recently...He was over 4 and the worst among the Defense...When you consider Severson plays significantly more than anyone else the on the team 5v5 this is pretty good in relationship to the team ...And it is even better when you realize it has come down a 1/2 goal per game.

Yakolev 4.4
Santini 3.8
Vatanen 3.7
Severson 3.6
Greeene 3.3
Mueller 2.9
Butcher 2.8
Lovejoy 2.4

That's all situations or EV only?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lest anyone think this is a "this year" phenomena, Severson had the worst even-strength GA/60 last year in 2017. Pucks fly into the Devils net when he's on the ice.

ES GA/60, 2017-2018
20172018.jpg

Again, as I often note, Santini was "banished" for playing fairly well, especially for a rookie.

Keep in mind, Vats & Greene often drew other team's #1 line, so you do expect a slightly higher GA/60 ding on them.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Believe it or not, yes.
I think it's a good little stat.

But I've always liked stats. I remember when I was about 11 I was big into reading box scores in the news paper, baseball, basketball. Not so much hockey, but I did listen to games on the radio a lot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lest anyone think this is a "this year" phenomena, Severson had the worst even-strength GA/60 last year in 2017. Pucks fly into the Devils net when he's on the ice.

ES GA/60, 2017-2018
20172018.jpg

Again, as I often note, Santini was "banished" for playing fairly well, especially for a rookie.

Keep in mind, Vats & Greene often drew other team's #1 line, so you do expect a slightly higher GA/60 ding on them.
Interesting thing is, the year before last, Sev's ga/60 was good, 2.2ish if I remember right. But his goals for/60 was lousy. Like 1.6 per 60. So his goals for % is consistently lousy.

Now is there a correlation between both his goals for and goals against going up so dramatically that speaks to Sev's the individual? Hard to say no.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

ES GA/60, 2017-2018
20172018.jpg

But Sanitini's corsi.........

Reactions: BenedictGomez

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Avs fan on the trade board just offered OTT 1st, COL 1st and Jost for Hall

I don't want to trade him either but I Don't know how you can pass that up

Excellent offer.

I hesitate because this would obviously have to happen before or at the draft in June. Will Shero have a good enough feel on Hall's inclination to stay or go? Can they even discuss that before July 1? I know they can't negotiate or sign anything, obviously, but can they discuss Hall's future?

The value is great, and the high picks are sexy, but I'm afraid a deal like this may be a bit premature. I'd imagine Shero would want a better handle on Hall's mindset, before making a reactionary trade based on the tenuous-at-best possibility of Hall leaving...

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Interesting thing is, the year before last, Sev's ga/60 was good, 2.2ish if I remember right. But his goals for/60 was lousy. Like 1.6 per 60. So his goals for % is consistently lousy.

Nope, Severson was 2.7 in 2016, second worst on the team to John Moore at 2.8.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Avs fan on the trade board just offered OTT 1st, COL 1st and Jost for Hall

I don't want to trade him either but I Don't know how you can pass that up
Should be noted that Jost is not exactly lighting it up. He's a little ahead of Zacha's career trajectory at similar points (Jost being a year younger).

Which is not to say that is still not a deal worth considering, but let's not think of Jost as the prospect this board was so hot for back before his draft day.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Should be noted that Jost is not exactly lighting it up. He's a little ahead of Zacha's career trajectory at similar points (Jost being a year younger).

Which is not to say that is still not a deal worth considering, but let's think of Jost as the prospect this board was so hot for back before his draft day.

I recall the Jost vs Keller debate pre-draft, I was in the Keller camp, and for good reason.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Nah, at 5v5 he was 2.22 per 60 ga/60. Which amongst regulars was only behind Lovejoy. You got something off.

You said, "the year before last", which is 2016-2017, in which Severson is 2.7, only better than John Moore.

You have to go all the way back to 2015-2016 for Severson to be 2.3, which was the median among the defense.

Not sure if he was truly more focused on defense that year, or if he was getting protected minutes because he was so young, I'd strongly suspect the latter.

EDIT: And if you want to go all the way back to his rookie year just for data completion, Severson was 2nd worst on the team to Peter Harrold.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Correct; I point this out all the time.

Hynes never benches Severson (not once this season), and frankly, if Severson isnt getting benched today after that last game, it's never going to happen.

Meanwhile, Santini or Mueller can misplay a 2 on 1 situation one time and they'll end up in the witness relocation program.
Hynes has definitely benched Sev's in previous seasons though.

But I don't think it was for mental lapses, or getting deked out of his jock, as much as it was for effort.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You said, "the year before last", which is 2016-2017, in which Severson is 2.7, only better than John Moore.

You have to go all the way back to 2015-2016 for Severson to be 2.3, which was the median among the defense.

Not sure if he was truly more focused on defense that year, or if he was getting protected minutes because he was so young, I'd strongly suspect the latter.

EDIT: And if you want to go all the way back to his rookie year just for data completion, Severson was 2nd worst on the team to Peter Harrold.
Not sure what you are doing wrong but:

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

ES GA/60, 2017-2018
20172018.jpg

Talk about Disingenuous....

The worst was .1 difference between the top 3 ---

Pucks fly into the net ...LOL

LAST YEAR
ES GA/60
Severson 3.1
Vatanen 3.0
Greene 2.9
Moore 2.6
Butcher 2.6
Lovejoy 2.0

Status