Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xll

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's you that's doing it wrong, you're not displaying it ES GA/60.

You need to weed out PP and SH from the data.

When you do that, you see John Moore is the worst in 2016, followed by Greene/Severson.

Greene was top-pairing. Was Moore? Dont remember.

GA2016.jpg
I was weeding more then you are weeding. Stat I referenced was 5v5.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
All it says is he got to play with a more stable partner for a period of time. The year before everyone Moore played played with their numbers got worse and away from him got better.
Moore did play with Vat's during that stretch, but was given tough minutes.

Sev's was with Butcher and they were awful. About the only guy Butcher has ever really been awful with.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Talk about Disingenuous....

The worst was .1 difference between the top 3 ---

Pucks fly into the net ...LOL

LAST YEAR
ES GA/60
Severson 3.1
Vatanen 3.0
Greene 2.9
Moore 2.6
Butcher 2.6
Lovejoy 2.0

Severson did not play vs top competition all season long. He played for a stretch and got abaolutely killed

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Well here is the thing..I know what I am seeing and I am not so sure you do...So how do we settle it? With some numbers is the only answer I know of.

For someone who loves old school hockey and talks about the 1980’s like it happened two weeks ago, I’m shocked that you think Severson is actually above average in his own zone :huh:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
The reason why Jim loves to defend Severson so much, and he displayed it with a lot of other players as well, is he got drafted by the old regime.

ISeverson would absolutely get benched on a consistent basis if we didn't have a coach with a huge bias towards offense

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The reason why Jim loves to defend Severson so much, and he displayed it with a lot of other players as well, is he got drafted by the old regime.

ISeverson would absolutely get benched on a consistent basis if we didn't have a coach with a huge bias towards offense
Jim has been high on Sev's since the beginning, and he didn't like Lars. So I don't know if that holds.

And Hynes has benched Sev's in the past. Whether or not his play warrants a benching this year(and there are some who would argue strongly it does not) there are very limited options to replace him. Do we want to go ?

Mueller Vats
Greene Santini
Butcher Lovejoy

I guess that's an option, though not a very enticing one.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
if this season is anything like the mets season which its mirrored so far then we should see a lot of positives in the second half.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Severson would absolutely get benched on a consistent basis if we didn't have a coach with a huge bias towards offense

That's the only logical conclusion I can draw.

I dont think Hynes cares for stay-at-home defensemen, the bigger worry is I'm not sure how much Hynes knows about defense in general.

Whenever you see one of those practice clips, he's always coaching the offense, powerplay, rushes, zone entry, etc... I have literally never seen him working on defensive hockey.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
That's the only logical conclusion I can draw.

I dont think Hynes cares for stay-at-home defensemen, the bigger worry is I'm not sure how much Hynes knows about defense in general.

Whenever you see one of those practice clips, he's always coaching the offense, powerplay, rushes, zone entry, etc... I have literally never seen him working on defensive hockey.

Then how does lovejoy consistently stay in the lineup?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Do we want to go ?

Mueller Vats
Greene Santini
Butcher Lovejoy

I guess that's an option, though not a very enticing one.

Yes.

I'd have both Mueller & Santini in the starting lineup.

Only person I'd considering benching to allow Severson to play would be Butcher, but I think Butcher's PP quarterbacking would garner his being in the lineup over Severson in the above example. Plus, I havent given-up on Butcher's ability (or desire) to learn yet, he's only had 120 NHL games to this point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes.

I'd have both Mueller & Santini in the starting lineup.

Only person I'd considering benching to allow Severson to play would be Butcher, but I think Butcher's PP quarterbacking would garner his being in the lineup over Severson in the above example. Plus, I havent given-up on Butcher's ability (or desire) to learn yet, he's only had 120 NHL games to this point.
I question Butcher's ability to play tougher minutes, he's definitely sheltered, but he's pretty dominant, in the minutes he plays.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In what way is will butcher dominant? corsi? guy has 3 even strength assists this year.
When he is on the ice the team scores 3.24 goals per 60. Which is the best on the team.

When he is on the ice the team allows 2.16 goals per 60. Which is the best on the team.

Goals for of 60%. +1.08 goals per 60. Obviously the best on the team in both categories.

You can argue sheltered minutes, but when he is on the ice the Devils far outplay their opponent.

Reactions: My3Sons

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
When he is on the ice the team scores 3.24 goals per 60. Which is the best on the team.

When he is on the ice the team allows 2.16 goals per 60. Which is the best on the team.

Goals for of 60%. +1.08 goals per 60. Obviously the best on the team in both categories.

You can argue sheltered minutes, but when he is on the ice the Devils far outplay their opponent.

I can argue circumstance on that because he does not have the statistics to back up that hes a huge part of that. 3 even strength assists from a pass first offensive D man through 41 games is not great.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can argue circumstance on that because he does not have the statistics to back up that hes a huge part of that. 3 even strength assists from a pass first offensive D man through 41 games is not great.
It's a little inflated, I won't argue, but he was 54% goals for last year as well.

What is definitely not happening is Butcher getting beat up at 5v5.

He does a very good job getting the puck where it needs to go.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
It's a little inflated, I won't argue, but he was 54% goals for last year as well.

What is definitely not happening is Butcher getting beat up at 5v5.

He does a very good job getting the puck where it needs to go.

I'm not saying he's bad, but to say he's dominating is insanity. He is playing well but needs to have more assists 5 on 5 for me to be happy with what he's individually doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad