Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You are failing to take into account the contract status and age of the players involved.

Of course the Devils should not consider trading Vats, or any DMan under contract next year for that matter since our defense is playing so well. If the Devils traded one of them they may end up being tied for the least amount of points in the league at the Christmas break next year.
See this ignores my optimistic outlook, you assume we stink again next year, I think we can rebound, but we would need Vat's to do so (0r a reasonable replacement, but that is not an easy find).

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I think the Devils season is over, what do you think Boyle will get at the deadline?
I'm thinking he's going to be very sought after by a lot of teams. He's a leader, is versatile and is having a good season. His contract is cheap and he's a rental so playoff teams wont have any trouble fitting him in... I'm thinking he gets a 1st round pick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This started as a conversation about a poster considering Vats as "untouchable" and has somehow turned into me wanting to trade Vats. It is clear that I do not value 1.5 years of Vats as much as other posters. He only has 1.5 years left on his contract and I am not sure he will age well or if he would want to resign here.

I would not be opposed to playing Mueller and Yak for the rest of the year to see how they do. The Devils are tied for the least amount of points in the league at the moment. One of the last things I am worried about is distribution of minutes for our defense for the rest of this season.

A)My concern about trading Vat's, and the effect on wins and losses, is about next year, not this year.

B)Mueller and Yak are both lefties, playing guys on their off hand is not a great way to evaluate a gut.

C)It is also not a great way to evaluate a player by having them playing above their ability. We see it with an aging Greene. We have seen it with Santini last year on a top pairing, and we have even seen it with Vat's trying to carry a top pairing.

I mean if Vat's is not with the team while Mueller and Yak are both in the lineup, what are the pairings?

Greene Sevs
Yak Lovejoy
Mueller Butcher

Maybe

Greene Sevs
Butcher Lovejoy
Mueller Yak

Meanwhile are we trying to give Blackwood a look? Oi vey, can't do that.

This is just no way to evaluate talent.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the Devils season is over, what do you think Boyle will get at the deadline?
I'm thinking he's going to be very sought after by a lot of teams. He's a leader, is versatile and is having a good season. His contract is cheap and he's a rental so playoff teams wont have any trouble fitting him in... I'm thinking he gets a 1st round pick

Ha, if only.

A 3rd rounder would be nice though.

Reactions: glenwo2

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Throw that up on the main board and you probably get lots of snarky comments. I agree to a cup contending team he would be attractive as a depth center who can play on both the PK and the PP.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Boyle's leadership, experience and contract ride up his value
I would have no problem taking him on Montreal for this years 1st, I think he would be a great fit.
His cap hit his cheap, maybe Tampa would be interested. Toronto needs a 4th line C, they have a young team, Boyle would be perfect. I think there could be some bidding and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a 1st.

Greene is another attractive veteran player but I think the Devils would have to retain some of his cap hit.
Butcher, Vatanen, Kinkaid, Palmieri. The Devils will have some interesting players at the deadline and a lot of cap space to retain on contracts.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I would have no problem taking him on Montreal for this years 1st, I think he would be a great fit.
His cap hit his cheap, maybe Tampa would be interested. Toronto needs a 4th line C, they have a young team, Boyle would be perfect. I think there could be some bidding and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a 1st.

Greene is another attractive veteran player but I think the Devils would have to retain some of his cap hit.
Butcher, Vatanen, Kinkaid, Palmieri. The Devils will have some interesting players at the deadline and a lot of cap space to retain on contracts.
Palmieri is pretty much untouchable his production + salary an term left is some of the best in the league

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Palmieri is pretty much untouchable his production + salary an term left is some of the best in the league
I don't think there is a team more desperate for a sniper than Edmonton
if they offer a 1st and Bouchard (drafted 10th in 2018) for Palmieri, would you be tempted or no?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Trading Vatanen wouldn’t be a problem if Shero could get a top pairing RHD. Either Vatanen or Severson could serve as the RHD2. Thing is, I don’t see Shero getting a top pairing RHD any time soon.

As far as trading Palmieri, the Devils are in no position to move him. For a team to acquire him, the required return wouldn’t make sense for the team looking to pick him up...the Devils would need too much in return.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Boyle for MTL’s 1st? Done.

Greene? If the Devils could retain a bit and get a strong return they should move him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't that an expansion team?
Yeah.

Funny thing was the other goalie on that 74-75 team was Ron Low, who got all 8 of their wins that year. He had a worse save percentage and higher GAA and had 8 wins in 48 games, while Belhumeur had 0 wins in 35 games played that year. He only 27 decisions though, going 0-24-3 that year.

Clearly Ron Low just knew how to win better and his superior puck playing skills sure helped.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
While I often times don't understand why Boyle takes a lot of shit by a few on here, I really don't want him here past this year. I mean, I don't think he'll be Drew Stafford bad by next year, but he's also the type of player that can just completely fall off at any time right about now, so I'd rather not bring him back for another go-around.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
While I often times don't understand why Boyle takes a lot of **** by a few on here, I really don't want him here past this year. I mean, I don't think he'll be Drew Stafford bad by next year, but he's also the type of player that can just completely fall off at any time right about now, so I'd rather not bring him back for another go-around.

boyle has played awesome this season….he has the smarts and at the same time a strange deft touch …. i get it, he's not the future…..but, he cant be knocked

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
boyle has played awesome this season….he has the smarts and at the same time a strange deft touch …. i get it, he's not the future…..but, he cant be knocked
I agree with you. No knock on how he's played this year, just think we should preemptively cut bait before he winds up blowing a cylinder or two on us, which could happen next year.

I won't riot if we do re-sign him though, because it's not like he's as bad as Stafford. Not even close. He's better than Stafford ever was here.

I will be annoyed if Lovejoy is brought back though. We need to upgrade the defense and keeping him here doesn't allow us to do that, unless we keep him chained up until there's injuries. And he and Greene next year are way too redundant.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

The entire first line is as close to untouchable on this team as you can get.

Would say Vats and Severson are close to because the return will never be worth the cost of weakening the D with their lose.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we bought Cory out, a team would 100% take a chance on him.
I’ve said all along someone would, based on past success and reputation. If someone signed Cam Ward, I think someone would sign him up to a one year deal for a million or so.

I don’t think anyone is signing him to be their starter though. Maybe a rebuilding team that doesn’t expect to compete next year (think Vancouver if they don’t or Detroit if they aren’t bringing back Howard,) sign him to compete for the starting job/1b with someone else.

If he wasn’t signed by anybody (voluntary retirement and declining any deals aside) it might be because they saw something frightening on his medical report.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

None of them will be traded at the deadline. Boyle, Johansson (if they don't want to resign him), maybe Lovejoy if someone wants a depth guy who has won a cup, etc sure. There's no way they're trading Butcher and those other ones you listed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
None of them will be traded at the deadline. Boyle, Johansson (if they don't want to resign him), maybe Lovejoy if someone wants a depth guy who has won a cup, etc sure. There's no way they're trading Butcher and those other ones you listed.
I think Kinkaid could be available, but we haven’t seen goalies traded for in a while at the deadline.

The Sharks traded for Reimer a few years back at the deadline because Alex Stalock was a liability all year long and they couldn’t play Jones 75 games. So maybe a team that has a backup on par with that right now (can’t think of anyone other than us that fits that description:sarcasm:) would want him.

Ryan Miller went to St. Louis 5 years ago but that was because they didn’t even have a starter there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad