Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm sorry but i dont believe a team can play like they did last year and just take a huge step back this year without any roster changes. it just doesn't make sense! i know that they aren't the greatest skilled group of players but they worked last year and played for one another. heck even the first three weeks of the season it was the same! i think a coaching change will do wonders hopefully they hit on this top pick this year and blackwood is the real deal.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
One of those ‘wasted’ years was a lockout, in which they lucked into Crosby after a one-shot lottery. If you want to promise me a single horrible year can get me Malkin and Crosby fine by me but it won't work that way ever again.

You can get away with a few bankruptcy years in Pittsburgh, it’s practically in the hockey fan DNA and they’re not going to lose fans to other in-market teams. We’re talking about going on 10-12 years if there’s another rebuild with so far little to show for the first 7, if they do what you seem to want them to do and trade Hall, Vat, etc for three-five more crap years.

You and others act as if the ONLY way to have a contender is multiple top three picks. Which aren’t as sure a thing to procure now as they were ten years ago. We could have all of Pittsburgh’s bad seasons and draft maybe 2, 3, 3 and 4 instead of 1, 1, 2 and 2.

Can you guarantee us that if we trade our first for an older player it will not turn out like the Cory trade did? Can you promise me if we sign a high priced free agent the contract will not be an albatross in 3 years or so? I did not think so.

Way to gloss right over the point that teams that have sustained periods of being a cup contender tend to have 2 high picks within a couple of years of each other that contribute to cup runs/championships. Pittsburgh, Chicago - Toews (3 OA 2006) - Kane (1 OA 2007) Washington - Ovechkin (1 OA 2004) Backstrom (4 OA 2006). They are all not as obvious as those - Doughty (2) and Kopitar (11) are 2005 and 2008. The higher you pick the more likely you are to get an impact player.

Please point to the posts where I stated I wanted the Devils to trade Hall and Vats.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It is possible to trade someone like Vats for another roster player, add a 2nd or something else to Vats to get a better player, etc. as long as the player the Devils get back is younger and on a good contract.

That means the Devils are trading Vats plus the Devils high 2nd for a younger player on a good contract. That is not realistic?

It's not impossible, but it's not very likely.

Reactions: devilsblood

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
nobody has been more disappointed in vats than me, but we won’t and shouldn’t trade him

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Vats is simply overexposed in a bad defensive system more then anything else.

Him and Severson are the only guys worth anything on this D.
I think he's exposed as a guy who might be a good top pairing guy if he was with a legit #1 as his partner, but Vat's trying to carry along a hodge podge of at best mid pairing d-men is above his abilities.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he's exposed as a guy who might be a good top pairing guy if he was with a legit #1 as his partner, but Vat's trying to carry along a hodge podge of at best mid pairing d-men is above his abilities.

I very much agree though even a solid mid pairing guy would help. Mueller isn’t there IMO and Greene continues to go backwards as Father Time takes him.

Our left side is a tire fire and it badly causes balance issues for the guys who aren’t total disasters talent wise, but being asked to do too much, or fill roles outside their abilities.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sure at that point he'd be dirt cheap. But a team is not trading for that contract or picking him up off waivers.

Oh certainly not. Maybe...maybe if he had a strong second half someone would take a chance with retention, though we honestly would have better luck in a year or two IF he bounced back.

Right now he is impossible to move.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Vat's AND a 2nd rnd pick for a 3rd line winger? What the heck? I thought we were getting the 2nd rounder back.

But such a trade no doubt makes us worse next year.
Two and a half years of Vats basically returned one and a half years of Rico. How much do you think 1.5 years of Vats is worth? He does not appear to be playing better this year than last and he is coming up to the age players decline.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The money that is assigned to Schneider is already covered and not an anchor with the Cap. The Devils have plenty of cap. As for a rebuild young talent is great but look at last season's young talent that is still with us, have they improved? I say for the most part no. My point is the Devils have crossed the line with little or no improvement with the rebuild. Big decision for Hall to waste more years on promise or move on. If I were him I would move on unless I am only playing for big money and no Cup chance. Now if the team does what Lou used to do, spot players in hoping with FA, then the rebuild has stopped all for the sake of Hall. This team is between a rock and a hard place IMO.
Whether we are at the cap or not, he is a guy who you go into a season and say, he is our #1. Going fwd we will have to change up the plan, but this year you had to see if he could still play, and the answer, at least in the few games he did play, was a resounding no.

Reactions: Maine Fan

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Two and a half years of Vats basically returned one and a half years of Rico. How much do you think 1.5 years of Vats is worth? He does not appear to be playing better this year than last and he is coming up to the age players decline.
Rico is a guy who can play top 6 center. That is much more valuable then a 3rd line winger.

Throwing the 2nd rounder in made sense if it was coming back to us, but you have us giving it up which is crazy.

But the question was, would trading Vat's make us worse next year? If the return is a 3rd line winger I'd say the answer is clearly yes, that would make us worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad