Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We were all hyping up Wood last year lol, and rightly so he had a nice year as a 3-4 wing, or at least he played well till his suspension then fell off a bit. This year he's gone down an elevator shaft but just from seeing the highlight package that looked more like Wood early last year than anything we've seen since.

Last night was the Woodest night Wood has had since he went too Wood and got suspended last year.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Idk why but the team seems to play better when halls not in the lineup... its like they say we need to step it up. Both goalies also step it up.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This team makes zero sense. Last year, when playing really well and having a full lineup, we couldn't beat the Bruins. Now without Mojo and Hall... having a goalie make his second career start, we beat the Bruins up haha.

Reactions: glenwo2

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We were all hyping up Wood last year lol, and rightly so he had a nice year as a 3-4 wing, or at least he played well till his suspension then fell off a bit. This year he's gone down an elevator shaft but just from seeing the highlight package that looked more like Wood early last year than anything we've seen since.
I think the talk of Wood's poor play this year is way overstated.

I don't think he's been quite as aggressive, but for the most part he still attacks the play and uses his speed and physicality. I think he's been trying to diversify his game in finding open space along the boards and looking for cutting team mates, which has had some mixed results, but I think that is growing pains and will come eventually.

Like with Zacha(or the reverse with Sev's) when you don't put up points fans get critical.

Edit:I also think defenses are more aware of his speed and make sure he doesn't get behind them, thus opening those plays where he curls back along the boards.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is PZ's ceiling Joakim Nordstrom?
Zacha has a very high ceiling. Much higher then what Nordstrom is. The question is, will Zacha reach his ceiling, or better yet, how close to his ceiling does he get.

Edit: Interestingly Zacha and Nordstrom both have exactly 56 career points.

Granted Nordstrom is 5 years older and has played 150 more games, but going off career points I could see why someone would think a Nordstrom like career is Zacha's ceiling.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I think Johnson will be good for us... obviously he's got a long ways to go, but does have the basics and a decent skillset. I like his style of play as hes more of a hybrid goalie.

Reactions: nugg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zacha has a very high ceiling. Much higher then what Nordstrom is. The question is, will Zacha reach his ceiling, or better yet, how close to his ceiling does he get.

Based on production PZ needs to step it up.

Granted, he should have at least 10 assists this season but he plays with linemates that cant finish

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Blackwood plays small for somebody that is 6'4, which is not a knock on him, rather something that is impressive because of how efficiently he is able to move around side to side and up and down. A lot of other goalies around his size aren't able to move nearly as well.

The first bits of seeing him, it was concerning how much net can be open at times when he goes down, but so far he has shown that he is capable of being quick enough to cover the ground needed.

Also seems very comfortable with the puck which is another positive trait to see.

So far so good.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not going to start a poll but who do you want to start tomorrow afternoons game?

Kink

Or

Big Mac
I think it’s less about specifically tomorrow’s game, because either way doesn’t matter. But I just hope we don’t overuse Blackwood even if he keeps up with these strong performances. I prefer a 1a 1b set up for now, and we’re not fighting for a playoff spot with the roster we have right now.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it’s less about specifically tomorrow’s game, because either way doesn’t matter. But I just hope we don’t overuse Blackwood even if he keeps up with these strong performances. I prefer a 1a 1b set up for now, and we’re not fighting for a playoff spot with the roster we have right now.

My question is for tomorrows game though

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think the roster is the issue per se, it's the start to the season we had.

But I agree on working Mac in slowly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Time and time again we see what Coleman is capable of and even more so with open ice.

Why he is rarely used in a 3v3 situation when in OT boggles thy mind.

With open ice? He outraced the defenseman to a loose puck. How often does this sort of thing happen in 3v3 OT?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With open ice? He outraced the defenseman to a loose puck. How often does this sort of thing happen in 3v3 OT?
That specifically? Maybe not that often, but using his speed to get to spots, either with or without the puck, offensively or defensively, I would think would be beneficial in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->