Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Johansson 2nd. Lost value due to injuries but if we retain salary and a team like Washington takes him a second isn't out of the question. Or an above average prospect.

I was thinking about Johansson back to Washington the other day, and it makes sense.

From what I've read, the Caps have used Vrana and Burakovsky interchangeably at 2/3LW, with neither player really sticking as they would like. I could see them wanting a veteran, "known quantity" type to provide a boost and some stability to their middle-6.

I'd be happy with a 2nd. In my dreams, I'd want Burakovsky.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Is this really the environment to subject MBW to a trial by ordeal? He’s just getting his game together. Hopefully the team can muster a decent effort in front of him.

this is the equivalent of giving a recent community college graduate a chief surgeon position

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The last time Boyle was deadline bait, he had 13 goals and 22 points through 54 games, and he returned a 2nd and a prospect.

Boyle currently has 9 goals and 13 points through 30 games. Come deadline time, his production should be fairly similar to what it was 2 years ago when he was traded to Toronto. Mix in the intangibles and the new "storyline" that has developed since his last 2016 trade, I would expect Boyle to return a 2nd round pick. Perhaps a prospect, too.

That's if he's moved, though.
Most teams are missing a reliable bottom 6 guy like this now anyways since in the cap era most teams fill their bottom 6 with ELCs. Boyle will return a decent pick.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Bummer.

That Noesen-Zacha-Wood line should be called the Lowered Expectations line, yeesh.

I think there were a couple games last year Wood & Zacha looked good together, however I wouldn't put Noesen with them. He's stunk this year. I would put Coleman on the line.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
What I expect to get..
Johansson 2nd. Lost value due to injuries but if we retain salary and a team like Washington takes him a second isn't out of the question. Or an above average prospect.
Boyle -4th. I would like a third, but it depnds on the demand for him at the deadline. He may bring a third.
Stafford-stays with team as he isn't even worth a 7th.
Lovejoy-I can see someone overpaying for this bag of garbage. I'd be happy with a 5th, but we might get a 3rd if lucky.
There really isn't much more to sell after that. If a team without a reliable backup loses a goalie to an injury then get rid of him for a 1st or 2nd prospects and try to resign him next year.
If he only brings in a 3rd then say forget it and try to re-sign him for fair value.
I would be happy if we got a second for MarJo and thirds for Boyle and Lovejoy. I don’t really see anyone other than those three being dealt.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I would be happy if we got a second for MarJo and thirds for Boyle and Lovejoy. I don’t really see anyone other than those three being dealt.
I think we could get more for MarJo than just a 2nd, I'd imagine scouts would realize he is still a very good player, just doesn't fit with our fast attacking...chaos... On a team that slowed up a bit and was more about actually developing plays and making strategic passes while retaining possession over anything else, he would do great.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I was thinking about Johansson back to Washington the other day, and it makes sense.

From what I've read, the Caps have used Vrana and Burakovsky interchangeably at 2/3LW, with neither player really sticking as they would like. I could see them wanting a veteran, "known quantity" type to provide a boost and some stability to their middle-6.

I'd be happy with a 2nd. In my dreams, I'd want Burakovsky.
Burakowsky will likely become an UFA in the offseason if not traded at the deadline. The capitals won’t qualify him at a $3m salary, he’s been a major disappointment

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think Kinkaid could be available, but we haven’t seen goalies traded for in a while at the deadline.

The Sharks traded for Reimer a few years back at the deadline because Alex Stalock was a liability all year long and they couldn’t play Jones 75 games. So maybe a team that has a backup on par with that right now (can’t think of anyone other than us that fits that description:sarcasm:) would want him.

Ryan Miller went to St. Louis 5 years ago but that was because they didn’t even have a starter there at all.
The only team that would fit your Jones description is Vegas with Marc Andre Fleury. Malcolm Subban has barely played and when he has, his stats aren’t great.

There are other teams that could use an upgrade at backup i.e Niemi at Montreal but there would be little value using assets to acquire Kinkaid, when the team lives and dies with their starter in net for the playoffs.

There would be no market for Kinkaid among playoff teams, unless an injury occurred.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is this really the environment to subject MBW to a trial by ordeal? He’s just getting his game together. Hopefully the team can muster a decent effort in front of him.
Yes.

At some point we need to use a goalie that isn’t Kinkaid, as Cory has been so completely unserviceable and it’s led to an overload of just using one goalie.

The team was awful in front of Blackwood against the Blue Jackets anyway. Worse than almost any other game in the last 2-3 weeks. People only think otherwise because they see the other team had only two goals.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes.

At some point we need to use a goalie that isn’t Kinkaid, as Cory has been so completely unserviceable and it’s led to an overload of just using one goalie.

The team was awful in front of Blackwood against the Blue Jackets anyway. Worse than almost any other game in the last 2-3 weeks. People only think otherwise because they see the other team had only two goals.

Unless the team has plans to bring back KK next season why can’t the organization just roll him out there for the next stretch of 20 games until either Lack returns or Cory returns or they get some waiver wire pickup? KK just sat around for three days and drank egg nog and avoided the overly spiced gingerbread cookies. He shouldn’t be tired right now. I know that the team is still trying to salvage the season but I’m not sure if risking MBW’s confidence on a pie in the sky idea is worth it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm actually for throwing Blackwood in the fire - for one game at least. If he does well, maybe they've got something that can last for a while. If not, then pull the plug before he starts getting rattled here.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless the team has plans to bring back KK next season why can’t the organization just roll him out there for the next stretch of 20 games until either Lack returns or Cory returns or they get some waiver wire pickup? KK just sat around for three days and drank egg nog and avoided the overly spiced gingerbread cookies. He shouldn’t be tired right now. I know that the team is still trying to salvage the season but I’m not sure if risking MBW’s confidence on a pie in the sky idea is worth it.
And it's because the season is over that I think we can afford to get more of a look at Blackwood.

Just continuing to roll Kinkaid would become insanity, it was already close to it.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only team that would fit your Jones description is Vegas with Marc Andre Fleury. Malcolm Subban has barely played and when he has, his stats aren’t great.

There are other teams that could use an upgrade at backup i.e Niemi at Montreal but there would be little value using assets to acquire Kinkaid, when the team lives and dies with their starter in net for the playoffs.

There would be no market for Kinkaid among playoff teams, unless an injury occurred.
I'm not sure what's up with Vegas and Subban. I've thought that Subban would not meet his ceiling (that of a goalie taken in the first round of the draft) for a while, but he's probably better than what he's shown this year, which may just be due to only playing a few games and a very small sample size. I expect those numbers to raise a bit if he played a little more, even if not even to quite league average.

It's also negatively affected Fleury, although Fleury hasn't played as poorly on my eye test as he has on paper. This is the year Vegas looks closer to an expansion team.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Time and time again we see what Coleman is capable of and even more so with open ice.

Why he is rarely used in a 3v3 situation when in OT boggles thy mind.

Coleman is turning into a seriously effective player, very very impressed with his game this sesason, but it stems from last season. Fanatical/tenaciousPK guy/forechecker, good on the boards/cycle game, good on breakaways, has some speed and bulk, can finish chances when he gets them, hits/chirps, good at drawing penalties (maybe a bit too much even with his sells)....

I wouldn't really put him as a 3rd liner anymore. Not sure how to classify him. We need more of players like him. Like the perfect middle 6 player right now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Wood was electric in Boston. Thats the kind of skill Shero was talking about a year ago when he hyped up Wood. Wood was dominating with his size, speed, and his puck handling was much better that game than Ive seen so far.

Hischier with a nice goal, kid has hands I hope he uses them more

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We were all hyping up Wood last year lol, and rightly so he had a nice year as a 3-4 wing, or at least he played well till his suspension then fell off a bit. This year he's gone down an elevator shaft but just from seeing the highlight package that looked more like Wood early last year than anything we've seen since.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->