Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Whether we are at the cap or not, he is a guy who you go into a season and say, he is our #1. Going fwd we will have to change up the plan, but this year you had to see if he could still play, and the answer, at least in the few games he did play, was a resounding no.

I really appreciate that you are an optimistic person and that good. I feel I am a realist. IMO you are looking at the tree (Schneider) instead of the forest (the overall team). I respect your opinion however.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
While I am not "looking" to trade Vats, the Devils play the likes of Drew Stafford, JQ, and Stefan Noesen as 3rd line wings.

So we should trade a top 4 defenseman for one? I'm genuinely confused as to your line of thinking here. Are you just trying to get something for him assuming he'll be gone after next season? If we trade him, who is replacing his minutes? Severson?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't mind JQ back up.

I want see Bratt-Seney-Quenneville line again.

They need to be given more than 1 game.

Keep Zacha on the 4th line where he belongs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Did JQ even play a game in Bingo? What was the point of sending him down if they were just going to bring him back after the holiday?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While I am not "looking" to trade Vats, the Devils play the likes of Drew Stafford, JQ, and Stefan Noesen as 3rd line wings.

You're the one that's making the devils' advocate arguments for it and your offers just keep getting worse. If they were going to trade Vat and a pick for some third-line wing and cash out on UFA then they would/should have just kept Henrique in the first place since he was a top six forward and an almost certain re-sign.

And if the Devils continue to tread water playing the long game without any sign of improvement eventually Hall's going to get tired of it and refuse to sign an extension. I'm not saying you're advocating a trade directly but your philosophy of sit back and wait another few years wouldn't appeal to him. Even if it did and he somehow still signed an extension, you're wasting his prime years.

Last edited:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Did JQ even play a game in Bingo? What was the point of sending him down if they were just going to bring him back after the holiday?
No, they haven't played since Saturday but they are playing tonight. I figured he'd play in tonights game, kinda weird unless he is playing and this is some preemtive Twitter thing. Maybe they want to get ahead of all the salty JQ fans that were freaking out sunday night lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Remember 3 days ago when I thought JQ was done here for good? Man, we must really stink if JQ keeps playing all these games. :laugh:

Reactions: JK3

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Rico is a guy who can play top 6 center. That is much more valuable then a 3rd line winger.

Throwing the 2nd rounder in made sense if it was coming back to us, but you have us giving it up which is crazy.

But the question was, would trading Vat's make us worse next year? If the return is a 3rd line winger I'd say the answer is clearly yes, that would make us worse.
You are failing to take into account the contract status and age of the players involved.

Of course the Devils should not consider trading Vats, or any DMan under contract next year for that matter since our defense is playing so well. If the Devils traded one of them they may end up being tied for the least amount of points in the league at the Christmas break next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm open to trading Vatanen is we trade him in a deal that we CLEARLY win.

He's the best defenseman on the team.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm open to trading Vatanen is we trade him in a deal that we CLEARLY win.

He's the best defenseman on the team.

Eventually we have to start improving. It would be nice if we added and made Vat a second-pairing defenseman as opposed to subtracting another top four defenseman and make the D even worse with no sign of improvement anytime soon other than Ty Smith, who can't carry the whole thing.

Reactions: Bleedred

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
So we should trade a top 4 defenseman for one? I'm genuinely confused as to your line of thinking here. Are you just trying to get something for him assuming he'll be gone after next season? If we trade him, who is replacing his minutes? Severson?
This started as a conversation about a poster considering Vats as "untouchable" and has somehow turned into me wanting to trade Vats. It is clear that I do not value 1.5 years of Vats as much as other posters. He only has 1.5 years left on his contract and I am not sure he will age well or if he would want to resign here.

I would not be opposed to playing Mueller and Yak for the rest of the year to see how they do. The Devils are tied for the least amount of points in the league at the moment. One of the last things I am worried about is distribution of minutes for our defense for the rest of this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyOwns

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Is there some timeframe for the AHL all star game or playoffs (probably too soon for that) that would explain the JQ demotion and promotion where he’d have to be on the Binghamton roster on a certain date? Otherwise Noesen must not be ready to go or someone else got sick/hurt over the holidays and it hasn’t been announced. I’m confused.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If you trade Vatanen you make an already horrendous defense worse. You keep him. He is the best out of a bad bunch. He can be a good second pairing dman for this team for the forseeable future. It is Rays job to improve the defense and Vatanen is part of the solution.

Vatanen Severson Butcher are good guys to keep. Add the potential in Smith and things are not looking too bad if Ray aquires adequate shutdown defensemen to compliment our offensive minded bunch. How will he do that is the issue.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly wonder if this has ever happened to a starting goalie who wasn't injured the whole time.
I doubt it.

It's extremely difficult to accomplish
It was posted in that main board thread a while ago that a Caps goalie (some German last name, I forgot what it even was, I should know that) from the 80's has the record for most consecutive losses. It was a bit more than Cory.

Not sure if his wins went more than a calendar year apart though.

It's Michel Belhumeur. That might be a French name, not a German one. And it was back in the 70's.

Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Holy shit, he went 0-29-4 over a 2 season span. He had to have went longer than a calendar year.

Michel Belhumeur Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It was posted in that main board thread a while ago that a Caps goalie (some German last name, I forgot what it even was, I should know that) from the 80's has the record for most consecutive losses. It was a bit more than Cory.

Not sure if his wins went more than a calendar year apart though.

It's Michel Belhumeur. That might be a French name, not a German one. And it was back in the 70's.

Cory Schneider looking for first win since 2017.

Holy ****, he went 0-29-4 over a 2 season span. He had to have went longer than a calendar year.

Michel Belhumeur Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Wasn't that an expansion team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad