Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
^^^And when he played last year he was arguably our worst dman. Obviously the situation didn’t help him but last year he was horrible.

That said, I think he’s going to be OK. I mean the team brought him back on a deal so they like him enough to do that.

There is no argument

LJ is the worst , no debate

Reactions: Taylor Hall

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
... from watching him?

Santini had less then 50 games played when Hynes thought it was a good idea to put him on the first pairing, going against top competition.

I mean Greene was also his partner and he was getting demolished too. Severson stopped going against top competition for a reason, because he can't handle it and also did not look good at all doing it.

Don't get me wrong, Severson and Greene as a second pairing are doing well this year.

Bottom line is Santini was put in a spot that not many would succeed with so little experience.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Santini had less then 50 games played when Hynes thought it was a good idea to put him on the first pairing, going against top competition.

I mean Greene was also his partner and he was getting demolished too. Severson stopped going against top competition for a reason, because he can't handle it and also did not look good at all doing it.

Don't get me wrong, Severson and Greene as a second pairing are doing well this year.

Bottom line is Santini was put in a spot that not many would succeed with so little experience.

I agree he was thrown to the wolves, but what’s being suggested here is to similarly throw him into a second pairing role after moving Severson for Nylander.

It’s a ridiculous suggestion.

Not to mention - if Santini falters, we’d have only one legit defenseman for the right side. (Don’t say Lovejoy, and don’t say Butcher)

Reactions: Bleedred

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
With how shallow the Oilers are at wing (and it’s laughably bad - go look at their lineup in San Jose last night), I have a hard time seeing them trading Puljujärvi for cheap.

And that’s not really a guy I’d overpay for in a trade. I’d rather pay more and get a more established player.

Agreed. Only if the price is right. Oilers can also continue to screw up his career and see Pulju's value diminish. I dont really have a good grasp on what he would be worth tho. Defs not a 1st currently.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
a lot of my faith has been vacuumed from my soul this season. already.

i am so miserable.

watching the devils is back to feeling like work.

It's why I got so pissed off in the preseason

I saw the lack of compete and other concerns, I thought we would continue our trajectory and my hopes got squashed in September

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
By that logic nobody would want to trade for a pending UFA...
I am missing the point of your post. Teams do in fact trade for rentals/pending UFA's at the trade deadline. The "logic" was looking at it from Duchene's perspective. If he chooses to not sign the contract Ottawa is offering him, why would he want to give up his chance to test the free agent market to come to NJ? It is irrelevant to discuss NJ trading for an extended Duchene unless you can come up with a reason for him to come to NJ and give up his right to test the FA market if he chooses not to sign with Ottawa.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Interesting. Good work looking up the stats (I'm too lazy and my phone is a piece of ****). Who did he play with the most at 5v5 during that stretch?
Played about 3000 minutes of 5v5 overall.

Most common linemates.

Backstrom 1113 minutes.
Brouwer 950 minutes.
Ovechkin 922 minutes
Kuznetsov 718 minutes
Justin Williams 383 minutes.

So he was getting some very choice linemates.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Okay this is wacky. I had a chat recently with someone in the hockey media. Everyone here knows him. I can't say who it is but lets say everyone finds him annoying.
I joked saying "anything happening with the Devils you can tell me about?" He says a few times he shouldn't say anything. Finally I pry it out and he tells me that the Flyers and Devils are discussing Schneider for Simmonds.

Probably not one for one... but that is crazy.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If you have to make the team worse to get the player you want that in a year you need to trade more assets to fix it, then you made a bad trade.

Trading Severson creates a hole so big on D you could drive a semi through it. Any positives brought on by Nylander would be washed out by the overall net negative of that D.

Our forward situation is not so dire we need to blast holes in our thin D to bolster it. I get the trend lately is to dismiss certain guys as lesser trash to make it look more dire, but that doesn’t make it true.
Agreed. I would also mention that forwards tend to develop quicker than D. If we get a lottery pick it is much easier to draft a forward that can put up the 22 goals that Nylander put up last year than it would be to draft a DMan playing at Seversons level.

Bottom line, if we cannot start drafting forwards that can put up low 20's in goals we will never be good enough to compete for a Cup again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Okay this is wacky. I had a chat recently with someone in the hockey media. Everyone here knows him. I can't say who it is but lets say everyone finds him annoying.
I joked saying "anything happening with the Devils you can tell me about?" He says a few times he shouldn't say anything. Finally I pry it out and he tells me that the Flyers and Devils are discussing Schneider for Simmonds.

Why did you have to out Pierre lol

I don’t see the logic of that kind of trade for us other than saving money since Simmonds is a FA and unless the Flyers have completely soured on Hart as their future solution I don’t see why they would blow cap on a real question mark, or why we’d risk Cory coming back to haunt us if he did.

Reactions: Davegarri

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Hope you recorded the conversation

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

LivelyFrequentJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

I'm sure it's not him, I just needed an excuse to drop this gif in. :laugh:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

That would be pretty remarkable if it happened, for a number of reasons.

I don't see how that makes sense for the Flyers on any level.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mueller-Vatanen
Smith-Santini
Greene-Butcher

Could be the defense next year, and I like the look of it. I think Santini will end up a defensive rock, and hopefully can allow Smith to do what he does best. It balances the lines as well, as Severson isnt as defensive as Santini.

And no im not saying Santini is better as of now, I just think he could be and fits our needs better. Also prevents a logjam for as early as next season.

Penciling in a 19 year old undersized rookie onto the 2nd pairing is asking a lot. Partnering him with a guy who at this point has not proven he can play in the NHL makes it even sketchier.

Don't like Butcher on his offside either.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Did you sign a secrecy agreement or something.
I'm treading a fine line between not wanting to say who it is so I am not seen as a blabbermouth and I can get these people to come on my podcast..... and the fact that I pretty much told everyone who it is with my hint in my original post. Someone messaged me right away and guessed it. It's easy lol

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
For what it's worth, there is a Finnish hockey journalist that has been living in Edmonton from like late 70s and has seen Gretzky era etc. and writes a top quality NHL coverage blog (sadly in Finnish, well not sadly :laugh: ) Anyhoo the guy follows rest of the league and Oilers pretty much 50-50 and he says that of all the players he has ever met Taylor Hall is one of the top 10 best athletes he has ever seen up close.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I agree he was thrown to the wolves, but what’s being suggested here is to similarly throw him into a second pairing role after moving Severson for Nylander.

It’s a ridiculous suggestion.

Not to mention - if Santini falters, we’d have only one legit defenseman for the right side. (Don’t say Lovejoy, and don’t say Butcher)

I wasn't commenting about Severson traded ( which I truly believe would be stupid beyond belief unless the return is insane).

Bottom line is that Santini doesn't suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad