Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Discussing moving a 6m goaltender for a UFA to a team with multiple good goaltending prospects is seen as somewhat realistic

But moving Severson for Nylander isnt

Gotta love the logic

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Discussing moving a 6m goaltender for a UFA to a team with multiple good goaltending prospects is seen as somewhat realistic

Gotta love the logic

Losing Severson creates a hole that right now, no one can fill.

Moving Cory doesn’t create the hole.

Meaning having a convo about moving Cory makes more sense team wise.

I agree both are highly unlikely.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hey guys, just wanted to get some thoughts on Schneider here...

I scrolled back a few pages and see some stuff on him, but can anyone really chime in here and say what is going on with him??

is it mental issues?? physical issues from his injuries?? do you guys think he plays again soon and will get more time in net to see what he has left??

I watched this guy carry this team for years and to now seeing him barely getting mentioned as a NHL goalie is pretty sad to see...is there hope here with him, or just another player whose body couldn't keep up anymore???

thanks all!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I scrolled back a few pages and see some stuff on him, but can anyone really chime in here and say what is going on with him??

is it mental issues?? physical issues from his injuries?? do you guys think he plays again soon and will get more time in net to see what he has left??

I watched this guy carry this team for years and to now seeing him barely getting mentioned as a NHL goalie is pretty sad to see...is there hope here with him, or just another player whose body couldn't keep up anymore???

thanks all!

sorry, nobody here really has an opinion on that

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

thanks all!

I truly think it's a combination of both. He clearly was fighting some injuries over the last 2 years and it likely hasn't helped him at all health wise. As a butterfly goalie, I imagine trying to fight off one nagging injury can lead to you hurting another part of your body based on how you're playing the position.

People will forget (some by choice) that he was very good through the first 3 months of last season. He was 17-6-4 with a .923% save percentage in late December and rode a 6-0-1 record through that month at a .937% clip.

Then around January, we went on a losing streak and he got injured. When he came back Kinkaid was rolling and we were in the thick of a playoff race. In the meantime, during Schneider's 2 or 3 starts he got, you could tell he was stuck in his own head. He looked uncomfortable and awkward, and wound up getting shellacked. Kinkaid rode his hot streak into the playoffs, but after 2 poor outings that weren't necessarily all his fault, Schneider took over in Game 3 and played really well again the rest of the series.

Now that he had offseason hip surgery, his timing to come back wasn't necessarily the greatest because we started to play porous defense as well. Not to defend him at all, because he still doesn't look himself out there in the games I've seen, but you get a sense that the team is fighting it collectively when Cory is in net.

I love the guy to death, I've followed him since he was a freshman at BC and was overjoyed when we acquired him. His best years here will go unappreciated by many because the team around him couldn't score for their lives and we never made the playoffs. But coming off of major surgery for a butterfly goalie in his 30s, it's going to be extremely tough for him to regain his form. I sincerely hope he does for the team's sake and his. He's a class act and hell of a teammate, he deserves better than for his career to start turning downward in this way.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

To me, he seems to be extremely pass happy so far this season. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him shoot more. I can't point to anything specific but I feel like we pass up good chances to look for the perfect pass more than we should.

Have no real complaints about Hallsy though. He can certainly be playing better, but I'm not worried about him finding his game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I truly think it's a combination of both. He clearly was fighting some injuries over the last 2 years and it likely hasn't helped him at all health wise. As a butterfly goalie, I imagine trying to fight off one nagging injury can lead to you hurting another part of your body based on how you're playing the position.

People will forget (some by choice) that he was very good through the first 3 months of last season. He was 17-6-4 with a .923% save percentage in late December and rode a 6-0-1 record through that month at a .937% clip.

Then around January, we went on a losing streak and he got injured. When he came back Kinkaid was rolling and we were in the thick of a playoff race. In the meantime, during Schneider's 2 or 3 starts he got, you could tell he was stuck in his own head. He looked uncomfortable and awkward, and wound up getting shellacked. Kinkaid rode his hot streak into the playoffs, but after 2 poor outings that weren't necessarily all his fault, Schneider took over in Game 3 and played really well again the rest of the series.

Now that he had offseason hip surgery, his timing to come back wasn't necessarily the greatest because we started to play porous defense as well. Not to defend him at all, because he still doesn't look himself out there in the games I've seen, but you get a sense that the team is fighting it collectively when Cory is in net.

I love the guy to death, I've followed him since he was a freshman at BC and was overjoyed when we acquired him. His best years here will go unappreciated by many because the team around him couldn't score for their lives and we never made the playoffs. But coming off of major surgery for a butterfly goalie in his 30s, it's going to be extremely tough for him to regain his form. I sincerely hope he does for the team's sake and his. He's a class act and hell of a teammate, he deserves better than for his career to start turning downward in this way.
yeah it is a shame..he looked decent from what I saw of his last game, I think he gave up 2 goals, so was just curious if they start at least getting him in a few more games or at least a rotation with him and Kinkaid...all the things you said are reasons why I pull for the guy...I remember what he had to go through to even get to this stage with the Devils...he was a NHL starting goalie for years buried behind Luongo...

hopefully he at least bounces back to be a solid 20-30 game a year guy who can handle a stretch or two when needed...he deserves better than that, but I hope he at least gets to that point.

thanks for the post, much appreciated!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
From Masisak’s article. Interesting.

”Despite being below-average in most puck possession categories last season, the Devils were sixth in the league in high-danger chance percentage. They were in the middle of the pack in creating them, but seventh in the NHL at preventing them.

This season, they’re dominating the high-danger area even more. New Jersey is fourth in the league in high-danger chances per 60 minutes at even strength and against.

That’s where the conversion rate comes in. Nico Hischier is fifth in the NHL in individual high-danger chances per 60 minutes played. Miles Wood is in the top 50. The two of them have combined for 40 high-danger chances, but also only two even-strength goals. The Devils have six players in the top 100 of that list, including Stefan Noesen at No. 99. He doesn’t have a goal this season, despite 11 high-danger chances and 20 shots on goal.”

'We don't feel like a team under .500': Why the Devils believe the results will come if they keep playing their way

My first thought: I love how Nico plays but he needs to practise his shot.
Ya, Nico's all around game is very good, but his shot is not.

Great at deflections though.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Gotta love the logic
Severson simply isn’t expendable. He’s a great young player on a good contract at one of the most valuable positions in the sport. He just isn’t expendable.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Severson simply isn’t expendable. He’s a great young player on a good contract at one of the most valuable positions in the sport. He just isn’t expendable.
Im fine with keeping him too!

But what happens when Smith comes up? Which one of Butcher and Mueller get the short end of the stick? Because I think we all know Greene will finish his contract on the third pair

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Schneider is an albatross contract, i doubt any team wants him even for a 7th

i don’t think it’s that dire, but there’s some truth in that. this is why i’m advocating giving cory 3-4 games in a row. best case scenario, he thrives as a starter with rhythm, we win games, his trade value goes up...and suddenly we have options. worst case scenario...we go from tied for last in the conference to last in the conference.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Im fine with keeping him too!

But what happens when Smith comes up? Which one of Butcher and Mueller get the short end of the stick? Because I think we all know Greene will finish his contract on the third pair

Lovejoy will be gone. We can move Butcher to the right side, or we trade him for that forward you want since Smith may make him redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->