Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i don’t think it’s that dire, but there’s some truth in that. this is why i’m advocating giving cory 3-4 games in a row. best case scenario, he thrives as a starter with rhythm, we win games, his trade value goes up...and suddenly we have options. worst case scenario...we go from tied for last in the conference to last in the conference.
While I see your point, what kind of message does that send playing Cory over Kinkaid when we know whos been vastly better?

Plus like Ive hinted to a few times, this management team will sooner ruin our draft position than tank for a pick. Either this team makes the playoffs or just misses - this idea that we will play bottom 5-7 is silly to me (unless the team genuinely is that bad which I cant get behind)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
While I see your point, what kind of message does that send playing Cory over Kinkaid when we know whos been vastly better?

Plus like Ive hinted to a few times, this management team will sooner ruin our draft position than tank for a pick. Either this team makes the playoffs or just misses - this idea that we will play bottom 5-7 is silly to me (unless the team genuinely is that bad which I cant get behind)

whats the message now? “hey we’ll play keith until he loses, then we’ll throw cory in there and when he loses that game we’ll go back to keith”. is that any better?

isn’t the risk of possibly sucking more worth the gamble if the payoff is schneider playing well with regular time? how many problems would that solve?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Already talking about next seasons D 20 games into this season. Awesome! Smith is a non factor at the moment. People need to earn spots, who knows what will happen between now and camp next year. It’s a silly convo to have. You don’t trade away a defenseman this season to hopefully open up a spot for someone next Season when we still have 62 games to go.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay this is wacky. I had a chat recently with someone in the hockey media. Everyone here knows him. I can't say who it is but lets say everyone finds him annoying.
I joked saying "anything happening with the Devils you can tell me about?" He says a few times he shouldn't say anything. Finally I pry it out and he tells me that the Flyers and Devils are discussing Schneider for Simmonds.

Probably not one for one... but that is crazy.
Let me guess. He’s from the Philly area, he plays in a really crappy band, and he’s wrong about 99% of the time?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If Mueller isn't playing above his head and just fooling us all ATM and Smith joins the team this off-season, I'm leaning into the "trade Butch" territory. It would be nice to see what could be done to piece him together to get more help up front. He is a great player and it would sting to see him excel somewhere else, but I'd rather that, then bury him until Greene is gone and/or shove him on the right side.

I'm not fully there yet, but if everything continues the way it looks until the off-season, I think I will be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Already talking about next seasons D 20 games into this season. Awesome! Smith is a non factor at the moment. People need to earn spots, who knows what will happen between now and camp next year. It’s a silly convo to have. You don’t trade away a defenseman this season to hopefully open up a spot for someone next Season when we still have 62 games to go.

Well part of the reason is discussing how expendable Severson is both this year and next year in a trade for a forward.

I said no because it creates a literal black hole in the lineup this year, and Smith making the team next year won’t fix it.

I believe someone like Butcher is far more expendable in a trade for a forward both now and in the offseason. I would prefer a trade for D this season though.

I don’t think the forward situation is nearly as dire as some believe. We do need to tweak it over time. Especially if Mojo remains a black hole (I have more faith in Zacha to be quite honest), but we have a lot of talent. D is still quite shakey. Mueller is playing well, but we are still asking too much of him. We won’t become a threat until that is rectified.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Already talking about next seasons D 20 games into this season. Awesome! Smith is a non factor at the moment. People need to earn spots, who knows what will happen between now and camp next year.
Agree with this. We shouldn't rush Smith. It is not going to hurt him if he spends next season in AHL.

The logical replacement for Lovejoy at the end of the season is Santini. And then Smith in comes for Andy Greene in 18 or so months time, after Greene's contract is expired.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Agree with this. We shouldn't rush Smith. It is not going to hurt him if he spends next season in AHL.

The logical replacement for Lovejoy at the end of the season is Santini. And then Smith in comes for Andy Greene in 18 or so months time, after Greene's contract is expired.

To be fair for Smith it's either the NHL or Junors. He is not eligible to go to the AHL next season.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Uh, no lmao. You dont send Smith to the AHL unless he is terrible in camp. He was literally told he was good enough to play but they want him to have a big year and big minutes down...

Thatd be a major slap in the face and he was noticeably pissed the first time

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Uh, no lmao. You dont send Smith to the AHL unless he is terrible in camp. He was literally told he was good enough to play but they want him to have a big year and big minutes down...

Thatd be a major slap in the face and he was noticeably pissed the first time
It's not allowed anyways. Juniors or NHL for Smith next year. And I just don't see how it's not the NHL.

Reactions: Nok Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad