Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I love Simmonds, but I'm scared of the contract he'll want this summer.
turns 31 this summer. He might not get as much as you think, but I agree, that is probably one we'd want to avoid.

It would only benefit us if we think Schneids is shot, and thus we get rid of his contract.

Reactions: MichaelJ

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
turns 31 this summer. He might not get as much as you think, but I agree, that is probably one we'd want to avoid.

It would only benefit us if we think Schneids is shot, and thus we get rid of his contract.
We might retain salary. 50% being the maximum allowed, it's anyone's guess as to how much Rejean would offer.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

First, I think whoever started this rumor did it as a joke.

Simmonds would be a nice get and could provide exactly what this team is missing. I don't believe for a second that the Flyers would consider this.

If the question is, should the Devils trade Cory for a bag of pucks (vs an actual good player in Simmonds), I think the answer is no.

I'd much rather get Cory some playing time somewhere so he can at least become a replacement level back-up. I still think he can at least be that. I wish they'd send him back to Bingo for a few games. I know Blackwood is playing well and needs development, but having Schneider work through his issues in the NHL is not working.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Okay this is wacky. I had a chat recently with someone in the hockey media. Everyone here knows him. I can't say who it is but lets say everyone finds him annoying.
I joked saying "anything happening with the Devils you can tell me about?" He says a few times he shouldn't say anything. Finally I pry it out and he tells me that the Flyers and Devils are discussing Schneider for Simmonds.

Probably not one for one... but that is crazy.

I'm down.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
From Masisak’s article. Interesting.

”Despite being below-average in most puck possession categories last season, the Devils were sixth in the league in high-danger chance percentage. They were in the middle of the pack in creating them, but seventh in the NHL at preventing them.

This season, they’re dominating the high-danger area even more. New Jersey is fourth in the league in high-danger chances per 60 minutes at even strength and against.

That’s where the conversion rate comes in. Nico Hischier is fifth in the NHL in individual high-danger chances per 60 minutes played. Miles Wood is in the top 50. The two of them have combined for 40 high-danger chances, but also only two even-strength goals. The Devils have six players in the top 100 of that list, including Stefan Noesen at No. 99. He doesn’t have a goal this season, despite 11 high-danger chances and 20 shots on goal.”

'We don't feel like a team under .500': Why the Devils believe the results will come if they keep playing their way

My first thought: I love how Nico plays but he needs to practise his shot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
First, I think whoever started this rumor did it as a joke.

Simmonds would be a nice get and could provide exactly what this team is missing. I don't believe for a second that the Flyers would consider this.

I don’t actually think it’s completely implausible which worries me, Shero has already had a couple of division trades backfire - I’d rather not keep going down that road. Ostensibly they wouldn’t be the whole deal so we’d be giving more too.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
The clue was “people find him annoying”. Is that true for EJ? He seems like such a friendly guy.

Was a couple seats from him at a game last season, the row in front of the broadcast booth. He definitely seems friendly, had to pass by us to get to his seats and we had a short exchange.

I had to laugh though at his disapproving expression and head shake to the folks next to him during one of our rangers/flyers chants. I mean yeah I get it, it's low class but I think being in the public eye induces more virtue signaling in mixed company than one might otherwise be bothered with.

I barely even notice the chant myself anymore and participate only if flyers or rangers are in the house.

Reactions: Colin226

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From Masisak’s article. Interesting.

”Despite being below-average in most puck possession categories last season, the Devils were sixth in the league in high-danger chance percentage. They were in the middle of the pack in creating them, but seventh in the NHL at preventing them.

This season, they’re dominating the high-danger area even more. New Jersey is fourth in the league in high-danger chances per 60 minutes at even strength and against.

That’s where the conversion rate comes in. Nico Hischier is fifth in the NHL in individual high-danger chances per 60 minutes played. Miles Wood is in the top 50. The two of them have combined for 40 high-danger chances, but also only two even-strength goals. The Devils have six players in the top 100 of that list, including Stefan Noesen at No. 99. He doesn’t have a goal this season, despite 11 high-danger chances and 20 shots on goal.”

'We don't feel like a team under .500': Why the Devils believe the results will come if they keep playing their way

My first thought: I love how Nico plays but he needs to practise his shot.

Why I think the forward group and offense is in a good spot. Still we could use another sniper or even just a good garbageman to clean up.

An Eberle type player might fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino