Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No one is finishing Johansson's setups. The Devils are shooting 5.86% with Johansson on the ice since he got here. Part of that is Johansson himself, to be sure, he needs to get better chances and finish them, but he is ranked 356th out of 408 qualifying forwards in on-ice shooting percentage and almost everyone else around him are 4th liners.

This can happen to anyone. Sidney Crosby had a 40 game stretch last season where his on-ice shooting percentage was awful. I do think it might be starting to affect Johansson's game, but he needs people to finish what he's starting, and it's not happening right now.

Reactions: R8NJ

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No one is finishing Johansson's setups. The Devils are shooting 5.86% with Johansson on the ice since he got here. Part of that is Johansson himself, to be sure, he needs to get better chances and finish them, but he is ranked 356th out of 408 qualifying forwards in on-ice shooting percentage and almost everyone else around him are 4th liners.

This can happen to anyone. Sidney Crosby had a 40 game stretch last season where his on-ice shooting percentage was awful. I do think it might be starting to affect Johansson's game, but he needs people to finish what he's starting, and it's not happening right now.
There are setups and then there are setups. Not saying that Mojo doesn't produce good chances, but just look at the level of chances Bratt has brought since his return. It doesn't compare.

Granted I think Bratt is a very good player. But I don't think Mojo is near his level.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There are setups and then there are setups. Not saying that Mojo doesn't produce good chances, but just look at the level of chances Bratt has brought since his return. It doesn't compare.

Granted I think Bratt is a very good player. But I don't think Mojo is near his level.

Bratt's setups are being finished. Johansson's are not. That's why you can't remember Johansson's and you can remember Bratt's.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I’m also thinking the theory that Marjo is playing shy after the concussion may have some legs. Because you do see him, more than anything, circling the perimeter and staying away from the dirty, high contact stuff in the crease. Which is a problem but could well be the result of not wanting a lot of major contact.

I don’t recall MoJo being a dirty area player in Washington. He was always a perimeter guy.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Some potential trade targets:
A Devils trade wish list: Examining the risks and rewards of potential options on the market (paywall)

Brandon Saad, Alexander Wennberg, Jesse Puljujärvi, Tyler Toffoli, Andreas Athanasiou, Charlie Coyle, Alex Goligoski, Brandon Montour, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, Julius Honka

Pending UFAs (closer to the deadline):
Jakob Silfverberg, Wayne Simmonds, Kevin Hayes, Gustav Nyquist, Matt Duchene

Bonus: Adam Henrique

I'd love Montour and Muzzin. I'd like Coyle, Goligoski, Silfverberg, Duchene, and Toffoli. I really believe if we got a legit LD like Muzzin we would be a much better team. Picture Muzzin-Vatanen, Greene-Severson, Butcher-Mueller/Santini/Lovejoy.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
want no part of that Henrique contract
I think Henrique contract is fine for what he brings to the team. Can score 20-30 goals, 50 points. Plays both PP and PK. Defensively responsible. Well like guy in locker room that was an alternate captain for many years.

We need a player like that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
MoJo is shooting at 6.7%, which is abnormally low for his career. We've seen talented players go through bad shooting stretches before. And he really is more of a setup guy than a shooter. Which was part of the problem when he was playing with Zacha, who would have missed an open net from 3 feet away the first 10 games of the year. That line has only been together for a few games, and I do think MoJo has looked better with them, so I'd keep them together a while and see what happens.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think Henrique contract is fine for what he brings to the team. Can score 20-30 goals, 50 points. Plays both PP and PK. Defensively responsible. Well like guy in locker room that was an alternate captain for many years.

He is going to make close to $6 million dollars for the next 5 year AFTER this one

I'm not paying that for a ~40 point player in his 30s

that is not how we should be allocated cap money

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

He's also guilty of disappearing for weeks at a time. I think he has like 1 goal in his last 15 games. Granted, he still usually ends up with 20 goals every season, but let's not forget that this board routinely called for his head, just like they are MoJo's.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Say Ottawa takes our first for an extended Duchene, do you do it? I'm not opposed to trading it IF it comes with a worthwhile player signed to a good deal.
I would have zero interest, but it is really irrelevant to discuss. Put yourself in the players mind for a minute. He has earned the right to test the free agent market. He is 27 years old and has had no say up to this point in what city he has worked. Apparently Ottawa has offered something in the neighborhood of $8 by 8. He is either going to accept an offer from Ottawa or test the free agent market. He may be traded as a rental if he chooses not to resign with Ottawa. Explain what the attraction would be to accept a sign and trade to NJ as opposed to testing the free agent market from his perspective.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So in 16-17 with Washington Mojo's most common 5v5 line mate was Kuznetsov. With Kuzetsov Mojo produced 1.99pts/60. Overall he produced at 1.75 pts/60.

On the PP that year, Mojo's most common line mate was Ovi. Mojo produced at rather impressive 5.35 pts/60. Which was actually better then Ovi's 5.06 pts/60 with Mojo. But you look deeper, and Ovi scored 3.66 goals per 60, 1.13 primary assists per 60, and .28 secondary assists per 60. Meanwhile Mojo scored 1.41 goals per 60, had 1.13 primary assists per 60 and 2.81 secondary assists per 60.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
MoJo is shooting at 6.7%, which is abnormally low for his career. We've seen talented players go through bad shooting stretches before. And he really is more of a setup guy than a shooter. Which was part of the problem when he was playing with Zacha, who would have missed an open net from 3 feet away the first 10 games of the year. That line has only been together for a few games, and I do think MoJo has looked better with them, so I'd keep them together a while and see what happens.
I'm for keeping them together too.

Mojo can play a skill game, which is what Zacha and Bratt want to do. I think both those guys will do most of the dirty work, I think if the line gets going it will be Bratt and Zacha who really produce the quality scoring chances, but Mojo is a fine in the role of skilled cog player, an in control skater with the puck, a guy who can catch passes and make clean passes, he can think the game in an offensive way, but I don't think he's a guy who is going to wow you by creating scoring chances.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I would have zero interest, but it is really irrelevant to discuss. Put yourself in the players mind for a minute. He has earned the right to test the free agent market. He is 27 years old and has had no say up to this point in what city he has worked. Apparently Ottawa has offered something in the neighborhood of $8 by 8. He is either going to accept an offer from Ottawa or test the free agent market. He may be traded as a rental if he chooses not to resign with Ottawa. Explain what the attraction would be to accept a sign and trade to NJ as opposed to testing the free agent market from his perspective.

By that logic nobody would want to trade for a pending UFA...

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Just do scoring from the RW over the last 3 years.... I haven't done that but I bet money he is in the top 15....when he scored 30 there were only a few RW in the league that scored more. He only play 60-something last year so it maybe skewed a little but there is no doubt that he is one of the best producing RW's in the league.

From a points perspective there is no opinion involved.
Points are not the only indicator. I think he is pretty clearly elevated playing with Hall.

I think he is a top 30 RWer, however top 15 is probably a stretch in my eyes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Points are not the only indicator. I think he is pretty clearly elevated playing with Hall.

I think he is a top 30 RWer, however top 15 is probably a stretch in my eyes.

His best career season came without Hall though. It's actually kind of remarkable how consistent he's been as a Devil. His shooting percentages have been 13.5, 13.5, 13.3, and then 19.3 so far this year.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Some potential trade targets:
A Devils trade wish list: Examining the risks and rewards of potential options on the market (paywall)

Brandon Saad, Alexander Wennberg, Jesse Puljujärvi, Tyler Toffoli, Andreas Athanasiou, Charlie Coyle, Alex Goligoski, Brandon Montour, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, Julius Honka

Pending UFAs (closer to the deadline):
Jakob Silfverberg, Wayne Simmonds, Kevin Hayes, Gustav Nyquist, Matt Duchene

Bonus: Adam Henrique
Can't see Wennberg or Poolparty coming here.
Don't really see Anthanasiou as being a large enough upgrade to give up assets for, same with Honka
I like Montour but don't see a fit. Montour is a marginal upgrade over Severson at best plus Sevs has been awesome this year.
Goigoski is 33 and making 5.5 mill the next 2 years after this one.
If we can move out MoJo Saad Toffoli and Coyle all fit into play 2LW or 2RW
Muzzin > Martinez but I think either would help.
One name I'd like is Niederrieter in Minnesota he falls under that same category as Saad and them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad