Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe bc the rest of the team has no jam OR balls. Gabriel might actually show them how to fight for each other. At least he'll be giving 110% effort

Pretty much the only reason he is here. Dude is awful, but he is a ball of energy.

You hope some of the jam rubs off and fired the guys up a bit.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Pretty much the only reason he is here. Dude is awful, but he is a ball of energy.

You hope some of the jam rubs off and fired the guys up a bit.
Or we use him as an example as what NOT to do to avoid penalties. Maybe the team gets sick of his useless penalties, smartens up, and says "hey... maybe *I* shouldn't be stupid things either".

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Put it this way if they do have to move Hall this offseason then they start the clock AGAIN for another 3-5 dark years. I don't think Shero has that in mind, as patient as he is and as unrealistically patient as some fans seem to be. But can we get through the season first before we debate the merits of moving Hall? If the team crashes and burns it becomes a topic until and if he signs a contract. If the team makes the playoffs again and shows they're a move or two away from being a contender it shouldn't be an issue.

Or we use him as an example as what NOT to do to avoid penalties. Maybe the team gets sick of his useless penalties, smartens up, and says "hey... maybe *I* shouldn't be stupid things either".

It is ironic the team was supposedly down on him for what he pulled in the Isles preseason game and yet they've been taking stupid penalties of their own, dying deaths by a thousand self-inflicted cuts.

Reactions: Darkauron

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If a team is getting bullied over a stretch, or in particular with a rival that is having its way with them then that's when you call up the goons. Ideally you probably will never have those absolute no skill Tony Twist type playing as many as 60 games a year, but the goon will never die off simply becomes sometime messages have to be sent. Plus these guys are usually seen as great teammates and are loved in the locker room. We're keeping Brandon Baddock around aren't' we

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hynes never had a problem with Gabriel. He flat out said in Behind the Glass he felt it was just a guy trying to get noticed in his role.

Gross might have just been stirring the pot

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Put it this way if they do have to move Hall this offseason then they start the clock AGAIN for another 3-5 dark years. I don't think Shero has that in mind, as patient as he is and as unrealistically patient as some fans seem to be. But can we get through the season first before we debate the merits of moving Hall? If the team crashes and burns it becomes a topic until and if he signs a contract. If the team makes the playoffs again and shows they're a move or two away from being a contender it shouldn't be an issue.

It is ironic the team was supposedly down on him for what he pulled in the Isles preseason game and yet they've been taking stupid penalties of their own, dying deaths by a thousand self-inflicted cuts.
The thought of moving Hall hasn’t even entered Shero’s dizziest day dreams.

Some of you are throwing anything at the wall with little thought.
I wouldn't want to trade Hall obviously, but it seems some fans here are willing to wait multiple seasons for young talent to develop and keep all our assets. If thats the case then why would you keep Hall, an elite talent in his prime who would be entering his 30s by the time we start competing for a Cup. Thats my only reasoning for moving Hall, and I dont think thats how management sees it

But if they let this season go without any acquisitions and they miss the playoffs by a small amount, it would look really bad on Shero's part.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't want to trade Hall obviously, but it seems some fans here are willing to wait multiple seasons for young talent to develop and keep all our assets. If thats the case then why would you keep Hall, an elite talent in his prime who would be entering his 30s by the time we start competing for a Cup. Thats my only reasoning for moving Hall, and I dont think thats how management sees it

But if they let this season go without any acquisitions and they miss the playoffs by a small amount, it would look really bad on Shero's part.

It’s called building. A team of 12 superstar prospects doesn’t just appear over night, and you don’t just flip the board over because things aren’t going your way for a stretch.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It’s called building. A team of 12 superstar prospects doesn’t just appear over night, and you don’t just flip the board over because things aren’t going your way for a stretch.
So were betting on next years draft to land us some superstars?

We have a superstar in Hall essentially yet some want to let him wither away while we sit on prospects and a whim

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think Bratt being out is giving a lot of people the false sense of security thats tied to his return. I dont think Bratt moves the needle as much as folks are expecting him to

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think Bratt being out is giving a lot of people the false sense of security thats tied to his return. I dont think Bratt moves the needle as much as folks are expecting him to

hes a ~40 point player (at least) that can play on the 2nd line and secondary scoring is our biggest need

so yeah he isn't going to turn us into the #1 team in the league but he will absolutely help

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
hes a ~40 point player (at least) that can play on the 2nd line and secondary scoring is our biggest need

so yeah he isn't going to turn us into the #1 team in the league but he will absolutely help
He was a 40pt players on Hall and Hischiers line, i sure hope he plays as well as yall are hyping him up for.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How many years do yall think until were contending? End of this season? Next? 3, 4, 5 years?
It might not be too long, but we definitely need one more top-6 center on this team and it looks like we need a goalie that's better than the current two on the roster, although you don't need an elite goalie to contend anymore, like back in the decade long stretch where at least one of Brodeur, Roy, Hasek and Belfour winning or playing in the SCF for most years. The only years one of those guys didn't play in/win in the the SCF between 95-03 was when the Red Wings did with Vernon one year and Osgood the other in 97 and 98.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with our defense this year. It hasn't been all that bad, outside of Lovejoy and Gryba, who isn't even a full time roster guy. I'm skeptical Greene will look this good all year though, but Severson, Greene, Vatanen,,Mueller and Butcher have all been solid.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Did you not watch him at all last year? This post makes it seem like you didn’t.
I definitely watched him last year...

I saw a kid with some talent who shined while he had the energy to do so. I also saw someone who then struggled to produce much of anything for 3/4 of the season.

Im all hopeful for Bratt to become great but Im not going to pencil him in for 40+ like its a given, especially when he was on the first line and now will be on the second (granted this could change)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
People bagged on me last year for not being a fan of the Henrique trade...well who exactly is our 2C now? Just a giant gaping hole at a highly valuable position. I like Vatenan but all we did was create a giant hole in the top 6 in exchange for a slight upgrade on D.

You are correct but isn’t the bigger picture that the team lacks talent? Bring back Rico and who is RD last season during the playoff run and then again this season? Having Vats has allowed Sevs to play easier matchups and he now looks to be taking he next step in his development. I see this as a team in progress and there just isn’t enough top six and top four NHL talent to go around. At least they are moving in the right direction compared to where they were two seasons ago.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would tend to agree with the idea that Bratt probably won't fix the crappy play we have witnessed...but
I think there is a pretty obvious and big hole on our right side now.

We have watched Quenneville, Dea, Anderson, Stafford and Coleman all trying to fill that gap...so I think that hole is a little bit bigger than initially thought.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Yeah, I said the same thing about a week ago. Especially given the glory of Bratt's season was greatly overdone due to an insanely hot start.

Bratt only had 4 points in his last 25 games. At any rate, Bratt's 2017-2018 production is way overrated by most people here, it was barely higher than Brian Gibbons on a PPG basis.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah, I said the same thing about a week ago. Especially given the glory of Bratt's season was greatly overdone due to an insanely hot start.

Bratt only had 3 points in his last 20 games. At any rate, Bratt's 2017-2018 production is way overrated by most people here, it was barely higher than Brian Gibbons on a PPG basis.
He was 19 years old.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly don't know what to expect from Bratt, but last year he was better than Zacha has ever been, he's better than Dea, he's better than Noesen (who is good, but is having a poor start) and every other guy that's been playing in his absence. Johansson is at least heading toward career norms after his 2 point game last night. I'm reasonably certain he can manage to do better than most of these guys have since he's been gone.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And? He's 20 now.
I think you are judging him in an unfair light...35 points from a 19 year old is very good regardless of the fact that he only had 4 points in his last 25 games. There was nothing overrated or overdone, he had an extremely good season. It is reasonable to be pleased and excited with Bratt and expect some progression and maturity for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad