Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Who was our most dynamic player in game 5 against Tampa in the playoffs? Jesper Bratt. He hit the rookie wall last year, but Hynes brought him back far too late.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I just think Bratt balances the line-up out because outside of Hall Palmieri MoJo and Nico he is the only other guy on the roster i would consider a top 6 forward right now. Zajac is a tweener in my eyes.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Bratt may be the third most offensively gifted player behind Hall and Hischier. And I'd say the dropoff is severe from him down.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think you are judging him in an unfair light...35 points from a 19 year old is very good regardless of the fact that he only had 4 points in his last 25 games. There was nothing overrated or overdone, he had an extremely good season. It is reasonable to be pleased and excited with Bratt and expect some progression and maturity for this season.

That has nothing to do with what anyone was talking about.

The topic was what a bump/boost/difference maker Bratt's return will make. And the reality is, offensively speaking, Bratt's season last year was not as statistically impressive as many Devils fans fantasize it being.

Bratt's return will clearly help, but it's not like adding a 30 goal scorer, which if I didnt know better and parachuted into the conversation, would be what I would expect.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This reminds me of Freshman year of football where the coaches promoted our freshman center to the varsity squad and the varsity center to the freshman squad (just for practice). It was quite the wake up call for the varsity player and a big embarrassment.

That’s reprehensible for adults to do that to a teenager. Bench him fine, have a closed door meeting where you tell him he isn’t playing well and will be a backup until he shows better in practice, fine, but if you think humiliating a child in front of his peers is an acceptable coaching tactic you are a bad coach and a bad adult.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
So who here has seen Seney play? Seems pint sized. I'm guessing he's pretty quick. Any comparisons? He certainly was scoring at a pretty fair clip in Binghampton though he doesn't seem to have much finish. Is he like Blandisi?
You will love Seney’s game. Seney will be a fan favourite. He plays and thinks the game at a high speed, high hockey IQ, great vision. He’s all over the puck and creates tons of high quality scoring chances. Great playmaker but has a trigger and can score. Off the charts compete level! He’s mid sized but a strong kid. The Devils will be a better team with Seney in the line up

Reactions: Japam and My3Sons

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You will love Seney’s game. Seney will be a fan favourite. He plays and thinks the game at a high speed, high hockey IQ, great vision. He’s all over the puck and creates tons of high quality scoring chances. Great playmaker but has a trigger and can score. Off the charts compete level! He’s mid sized but a strong kid. The Devils will be a better team with Seney in the line up

^ This guy's Seney posts crack me up. I love the excitement though.

2llylc.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That has nothing to do with what anyone was talking about. The topic was what a bump/boost/difference maker his return will make.
That fact that we haven't been able to fill that 2nd RW spot with anything reasonable tells me at the very least him missing is a problem.

Will he come in and light up the world? I'm not sure that is even needed for an impact to be made...just getting him in puts others back in their place and stabilizes the revolving 2RW that we've watched.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bratt only had 4 points in his last 25 games. At any rate, Bratt's 2017-2018 production is way overrated by most people here, it was barely higher than Brian Gibbons on a PPG basis.

Palmieri doesn't have the array of tools that Bratt does. He's more of a north-south volume shooter. Bratt is the better skater & puck handler and far more creative.

The prosecution would like to enter "Exhibit A" into the record.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
The prosecution would like to enter "Exhibit A" into the record.

I want to see Palmieri pull off a penalty shot like Bratt did to Condon last year. He had a handful of 'What did I just see' moments for a green 19 year old. While he's diminutive, his skill level is very high.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I want to see Palmieri pull off a penalty shot like Bratt did to Condon last year. He had a handful of 'What did I just see' moments for a green 19 year old. While he's diminutive, his skill level is very high.

Granted. Yes; I agree.

But still, 4 points in his last 25 games. Or 5 points in his last 30 games.

The legend of Jesper Bratt's Art Ross Trophy winning rookie campaign are way overdone is all I'm cautioning.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That’s reprehensible for adults to do that to a teenager. Bench him fine, have a closed door meeting where you tell him he isn’t playing well and will be a backup until he shows better in practice, fine, but if you think humiliating a child in front of his peers is an acceptable coaching tactic you are a bad coach and a bad adult.
Things must've change because when I played only Freshman were allowed to play Freshman football...State Rule. and everyone else could only play JV...and I am not sure if was just a coaches rule or a State rule but in 2 different HS I played at Seniors didn't play JV.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
And I want to see Bratt be a ppg player in '18-'19 and/or have a 30 goal campaign under his belt.

:huh:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
And I want to see Bratt be a ppg player in '18-'19 and/or have a 30 goal campaign under his belt.

:huh:
I don't think he'll score like Palmieri because he doesn't have his type of shot, but I think he has the makings of a 50/60 point player, assuming his body can hold up. He's very slight.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Things must've change because when I played only Freshman were allowed to play Freshman football...State Rule. and everyone else could only play JV...and I am not sure if was just a coaches rule or a State rule but in 2 different HS I played at Seniors didn't play JV.

Same.

A lot's different now though, so who knows. When I played youth football we did both Oklahoma & Circle Drills in practice, and both are now banned for being too dangerous. Disagree on the former, but the latter was terrifying and bat**** crazy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think the no seniors on JV is pretty universal in US HS. It seems to be the rule in football land (the gulf coast states).

Reactions: Aethon

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't think he'll score like Palmieri because he doesn't have his type of shot, but I think he has the makings of a 50/60 point player, assuming his body can hold up. He's very slight.
Alright homie, I'm with MadDevil on this one. Have a bean burrito and crash my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad