Would the Wings have put up a better effort against NYR?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
16871241-1688-4add-982c-f597a933c0a6_text.gif

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Washington was a cupcake. The team got a little hot at the end and basically survived their way into the playoffs. That team was not as good as Detroit or Philadelphia. They had a -37 goal differential. Only 5 teams in the league were worse (the lottery crew of ANA, CHI, MTL, CLB, SJ). Even Ottawa was better at -26. Even with the 2 disastrous stretches the Wings had this season they were +4. Washington got a very lucky that Detroit imploded without Larkin and Philly just plain imploded period. They were always going to get exposed in the playoffs as a team who didn’t belong. I expect they will have massive regression next year to where they should have been and finish as a team in or near the bottom 5.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
The odd thing about this year's playoffs so far is the lack of a "Cinderella" team. The closest teams we had were Washington, Nashville, LA Kings and Vegas (but they are the defending champs). The Wings could have been the Cinderella team, but that would involve getting hot and confident in the last 10 regular season games or so (Like Florida did last year).

I hope we get two monster teams clubbing it out for the Cup in the finals.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Washington was a cupcake. The team got a little hot at the end and basically survived their way into the playoffs. That team was not as good as Detroit or Philadelphia. They had a -37 goal differential. Only 5 teams in the league were worse (the lottery crew of ANA, CHI, MTL, CLB, SJ). Even Ottawa was better at -26. Even with the 2 disastrous stretches the Wings had this season they were +4. Washington got a very lucky that Detroit imploded without Larkin and Philly just plain imploded period. They were always going to get exposed in the playoffs as a team who didn’t belong. I expect they will have massive regression next year to where they should have been and finish as a team in or near the bottom 5.

Ted isn't gonna go full tank until Ovechkin gets the record and retires. They will get a center in free agency. I would assume 2 yr with overpayment to someone like Monahan or Duchene. Of course, that's like collecting Copps, so they'll miss the playoffs anyways.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Is it better to make playoffs and got swept or not making playoffs? I d take not making

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Would we have done better than Washington against NYR? Maybe -- I'd assign these probabilities to these outcomes, pulling them from by sphincter:

NYR 4, DRW 0 games: 30%

NYR 4, DRW 1: 40%

NYR 4, DRW 2: 20%

NYR 4, DRW 3: 5%

DRW win series in any fashion: 5%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad