Confirmed with Link: Detroit trades 2020 4th round pick to Tampa for Adam Erne

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
A lot if industry insiders have pointed out that since Ryan Miller's ill-fated St. Louis Blues trade people have not wanted to do goalie trades at the deadline.

A part of that is Miller's admission that he struggled to pick up with their systems and where shots were designed to yield from quick. That most goalies are going to take a couple months to get used to how your team plays and the kind of chances you give up.

I bet Mrazek's tenure in Philly put the final nail in the coffin for deadline goalie trades. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Helm for sure will have a market, theres been a bit of buzz about him the last couple deadlines. Now that he only has one year left he'll get some interest from a playoff team. Green and Glendening are obvious. Howards market will depend, its hard to predict with goalies but a playoff team could for sure use a back up with his experience. I think Ericsson could be a wild card as well. Teams are going to see a 6'5 dman with a history of being fairly tough going into the playoffs. Getting him as their 6th D could be enticing depending who the teams in the playoffs are. This is a league that has seen Roman Polak traded a decent amount and hes very similar to Ericsson except with a history of being worse as a player

Fair enough.
I 100 percent disagree.
Roman Polak is a beast of a man who plays like a beast of man.
There has been no serious talk about Helm, either, that I recall.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Glendening plays more minutes than Erne because Glendening PKs and Erne doesn't. And Glendening can take key faceoffs.
50n5
Glendening 996 minutes 9-11-20
Erne 629 minutes 5-12-17 (only 5 primary assists)

The other thing about Glendening, is somehow he turns some of the Red Wings hardest minutes into being a plus player on a minus squad.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I didn't equate anything. I just found it ironic given the subject of this thread and the fact that 2 of Yzermans 3 additions to the team can easily be painted as motivated by some loyalty. And before I get another "yEaH bUt NoT fOr 5 YeArS NTC BLAH BLAH"... Mikael Samuelsson for 2 years, traded with a former associate to get a former playing in Kyle Quincey, brought Jurco to Edmonton now. Similar crap.

If you think the "trolling" is tiresome now... Just wait till Yzerman starts sending young guys to GR and Abdelkader and Helm are still everyday fixtures in the line-up. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not disagreeing with it at all. Just predicting that doing something Holland got eviscerated for will instead earn Yzerman praise.

Oh no, I know. You know that you and I agree on a lot of things... and even stuff I don't agree with you on, I see your point of view. I was just backing you up that a lot of what Yzerman's doing now IS prudent and also is identical to what Holland has been doing for a little while here (Tyler Wright's just terrible 2017 draft nonwithstanding)

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Didn't go through the whole thread, but by reading comments on the last couple pages, I feel there's gonna be some disappointed Red Wings fans in terms of where they think Erne slots in and where he eventually will end up.

I'd be really surprised to see him get regular 3rd line minutes.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn't go through the whole thread, but by reading comments on the last couple pages, I feel there's gonna be some disappointed Red Wings fans in terms of where they think Erne slots in and where he eventually will end up.

I'd be really surprised to see him get regular 3rd line minutes.
Lack of secondary scoring is a major problem on this team, there are only 5 returning players with more than 10 goals last season (if you include Flip). If he pots 10 goals, he's a 3rd liner on this team.

I will not be disappointed as long as he skates better than Abby, and hits more than Ehn, and scores more than DLR. It's an upgrade, however small it may be, even if he plays on the 4th line.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lack of secondary scoring is a major problem on this team, there are only 5 returning players with more than 10 goals last season (if you include Flip). If he pots 10 goals, he's a 3rd liner on this team.

I will not be disappointed as long as he skates better than Abby, and hits more than Ehn, and scores more than DLR. It's an upgrade, however small it may be, even if he plays on the 4th line.

A lot depends on where the Wings slot kids out of camp. I think we're looking at these as locks for the top9:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-Athanasiou-Filppula
-Nielsen-

Gator, Glendening, Helm, Ehn, DLR, Erne could fill those last five spots. But Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Veleno could push for those third line spots, too. And if someone gets hurt for any length of time out of that top9, do you bump one of those first five up, or does a kid from GR get a cup of coffee knowing there is a spot with good minutes open?

I think the Wings are going to bury a bunch (all?) of that second group in GR for at least a few months. But once those kids start coming up that top9 gets crowded in a hurry.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm fine with taking a chance on him with a 4th round pick. The odds of that pick turning into an NHL'er are pretty long. Erne is a legit NHL'er and still has a small amount of upside. It's interesting that he said he was used as more of a physical presence in Tampa and that he sees himself having the ability to play up the lineup in Detroit and score a bit more. It's a good opportunity for both him and Detroit, it probably doesn't amount to much but at the cost of a 4th rounder and with him being a guy Yzerman knows very well I'm on board.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
When has Luke Glendening scored 15 goals? Also, I was talking about 4th liners playing 15+ minutes a night, not 3rd liners. I also wasn't complaining about Erne scoring 10-15 goals for a 4th round pick, in fact I never said it was bad value. My comment was based on so much ice time going to depth players. If Adam Erne plays 10-12 minutes a night and scores like he did this season, that will be good for us. Not sure why you bring up Lars Eller or Derek Ryan, as they are both higher scoring and more valuable than Luke Glendening or Adam Erne. Those 2 put up more points, play 2 way hockey and PK, and either have less ice time or only a little more in Eller's case.

The reason Luke plays so much is we have a phenomenally stupid hockey iq team that takes way too many incessant avoidable penalties. Also pretty sure he is the only center over 55% on draws so any important face off he will probably be out there for.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
This quote stood out to me from the Athletic article

“I think in the beginning it’s easy to not play the way that got you there,” Erne said. “Sometimes you get caught up in just trying to play a certain role that the team might see you in or have you play, and that gets you away from what makes you yourself. I think, in Tampa, they didn’t have many big bodies, and I think there was a lot of emphasis on me just going out there and hitting guys and (bringing) that physical aspect, but I don’t think that’s what my value is. It definitely is a part of it, that’s part of my game, but I think I’m able to score goals and make plays and play with good players. I’m just looking to prove that with the opportunity. I’m excited to try and prove that to everyone.”

Seems like he feels he’s best suited for a top 9 role

Reactions: LazyT

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
A lot depends on where the Wings slot kids out of camp. I think we're looking at these as locks for the top9:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-Athanasiou-Filppula
-Nielsen-

Gator, Glendening, Helm, Ehn, DLR, Erne could fill those last five spots. But Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Veleno could push for those third line spots, too. And if someone gets hurt for any length of time out of that top9, do you bump one of those first five up, or does a kid from GR get a cup of coffee knowing there is a spot with good minutes open?

I think the Wings are going to bury a bunch (all?) of that second group in GR for at least a few months. But once those kids start coming up that top9 gets crowded in a hurry.

I don;t like that idea.
We've got four wingers knocking on the doorstep in Hirose, Svech, Zadina and Rasmussen.
Two start this year.
All four next year. Plus, hopefully, Veleno next year.
That's A LOT of youth to add over two seasons. And if you stick all those kids in GR, now you have 5 kids coming into Detroit next year.
Svech will be 23 Oct. 31. Hirose is 23. All things being equal, give them a shot.
We let Rasmussen sputter all last year in the NHL for reasons beyond my comprehension.
Let Ras and Zadina tear it up in the AHL.

That said, if Ras and Zadina beast mode in the exhibition season and Svech looks weak, well, you can't ignore that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This quote stood out to me from the Athletic article

“I think in the beginning it’s easy to not play the way that got you there,” Erne said. “Sometimes you get caught up in just trying to play a certain role that the team might see you in or have you play, and that gets you away from what makes you yourself. I think, in Tampa, they didn’t have many big bodies, and I think there was a lot of emphasis on me just going out there and hitting guys and (bringing) that physical aspect, but I don’t think that’s what my value is. It definitely is a part of it, that’s part of my game, but I think I’m able to score goals and make plays and play with good players. I’m just looking to prove that with the opportunity. I’m excited to try and prove that to everyone.”

Seems like he feels he’s best suited for a top 9 role

As long as he doesn't forget the bolded, because the rest of it sounds a lot like Jurco when he decided to not be an effective NHLer any more.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don;t like that idea.
We've got four wingers knocking on the doorstep in Hirose, Svech, Zadina and Rasmussen.
Two start this year.
All four next year. Plus, hopefully, Veleno next year.
That's A LOT of youth to add over two seasons. And if you stick all those kids in GR, now you have 5 kids coming into Detroit next year.
Svech will be 23 Oct. 31. Hirose is 23. All things being equal, give them a shot.
We let Rasmussen sputter all last year in the NHL for reasons beyond my comprehension.
Let Ras and Zadina tear it up in the AHL.

That said, if Ras and Zadina beast mode in the exhibition season and Svech looks weak, well, you can't ignore that.

Hey, I have Hirose in my lineup to start the year :eviltongu

I look at Svech as a bit of a wild card because of the injury. Maybe he impresses in camp and is kept up. I think it's more likely he comes in, looks on the border, and they send him to GR just to get his legs under him again and play some big minutes for awhile.

As I said, though. I think it'd be for a few months. Guys will get hurt. I have to believe (hope) Yzerman makes a deal or two. Then a couple of guys can come up after getting on a roll in GR, play ~40 games this season, and go into next season with a bit more experience and ready to go.

And I think we know why Rasmussen was kept up and it had little to do with him being NHL ready and a lot to do with him just being too big to get anything out of a junior league. The AHL would have been perfect for him last season. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Detroit to start this year, but I wouldn't complain if they put him in GR and want him centering his own line in all situations before getting a look there in the NHL.

Reactions: martinez

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
As long as he doesn't forget the bolded, because the rest of it sounds a lot like Jurco when he decided to not be an effective NHLer any more.
Yeah he’ll have to earn it. And he could just be a placeholder yzerman trusts until a kid takes his spot.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hey, I have Hirose in my lineup to start the year :eviltongu

I look at Svech as a bit of a wild card because of the injury. Maybe he impresses in camp and is kept up. I think it's more likely he comes in, looks on the border, and they send him to GR just to get his legs under him again and play some big minutes for awhile.

As I said, though. I think it'd be for a few months. Guys will get hurt. I have to believe (hope) Yzerman makes a deal or two. Then a couple of guys can come up after getting on a roll in GR, play ~40 games this season, and go into next season with a bit more experience and ready to go.

And I think we know why Rasmussen was kept up and it had little to do with him being NHL ready and a lot to do with him just being too big to get anything out of a junior league. The AHL would have been perfect for him last season. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Detroit to start this year, but I wouldn't complain if they put him in GR and want him centering his own line in all situations before getting a look there in the NHL.

I just worry if we don't give these 23 year olds an opportunity this year... man... that's getting pretty long in the tooth. With guys potentially zooming past him.
Hate to toss away a first round pick. Especially one with his size and skill.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Jurco got f***ed by a coach who has no idea how to run lines. Plus injuries.
But Babcock started the shit, and Blashill just kept it going.

Kid plays 13:28 a night at 20-21. Was actually pretty productive. And then he never sees the light of day again in Detroit.

Probably more than any other Detroit prospect, he got screwed by inept management.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Jurco got ****ed by a coach who has no idea how to run lines. Plus injuries.
But Babcock started the ****, and Blashill just kept it going.

Kid plays 13:28 a night at 20-21. Was actually pretty productive. And then he never sees the light of day again in Detroit.

Probably more than any other Detroit prospect, he got screwed by inept management.

PUHLEASE! What about Chicago, he didn't exactly light it up there? Jurco simply isn't that good, had nothing to do with "bad coaching".

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just worry if we don't give these 23 year olds an opportunity this year... man... that's getting pretty long in the tooth. With guys potentially zooming past him.
Hate to toss away a first round pick. Especially one with his size and skill.
Jurco got ****ed by a coach who has no idea how to run lines. Plus injuries.
But Babcock started the ****, and Blashill just kept it going.

I get the concern, but with Svech I think it's mostly a question of where he's at returning from injury. Physically, I'm sure he's fine, but he missed a whole year of hockey. Maybe he'll show up in camp and be up to speed and ready, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he needs some time this year just to get going again. That would be easier in GR. Then the Wings can call him up when the rust is knocked off.

With Jurco, I think he stopped playing the game that was making him successful. The first 20 or so games of his career, he was a force. He was fast, he was physical, he made things happen going to the net. He goes into Boston, tweaks his back a bit, gets some push back from the Bruins, and he just isn't the same afterwards.

Maybe he just didn't feel physically able to play that way any more, maybe he was a bit gun shy from the combination of injury and the Bruins pushing back, I don't know. But if Jurco would have kept playing that game I think he's still playing for the Wings and he's putting up some points.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree Glendening is not a 15 goal 15 minute a night guy. He is a 10 goal 15 minute a night guy. So worse and not pointless at all.

2018-1929DETNHL78101323215901111021029.8169123115:4765852455.71021982325
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The last sentence was mentioned because Eller and Ryan are better than Glendening, and played similar ice time. Also to date, Glendening is a better player than Erne. Erne has potential to be much better, but currently he isn't. My comparison is fair , because we were talking about guys who play 15 minutes a night, which Glendening does, and not providing a lot of offence which to me is too much ice time for low production, unless that player can play in all situations, PP, PK etc, which LGD doesn't. Also want to make it clear, I am not running down Erne as I think he is a great pickup and will fill a bottom 6 role nicely. He scored 7 goals in 65 games at 10 minutes a night, and adding 5 minutes a night, doesn't suddenly double his production somehow.

Your post didnt make sense in the context of the thread than I guess. You were saying it would be brutal for a 15 goal scorer to play almost 16 mins a night. You didnt specify Glendening so I assumed you were talking about Ernes potential. I gave examples of 15 minute-ish a night guy who score around 15 goals and are solid players. Mostly just a miscommunication I think

But for your second part, its also unclear whether or not Erne is better than Glendening right now. You have one guy who just played his first season and played very limited mins vs an established guy who plays 15 mins a night and has proven he cant do anything offensively with those mins. For this season, Erne could absolutely be better than Glendening and I dont think it would surprise many people if he is. Last year their roles were too different to really draw any conclusions

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
PUHLEASE! What about Chicago, he didn't exactly light it up there? Jurco simply isn't that good, had nothing to do with "bad coaching".

Jurco was promising, but after his back problems (after some dirty hit?), he was a different player after that.

Back problems change a player. Imo, injuries affected heavily on Jurco.

Red Wings never reported much about these problems, maybe to hide it, to maintain his trade value, but it was reported on his home-country media.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Jurco was promising, but after his back problems (after some dirty hit?) were reported on his home-country media, he was a different player after that.

Back problems change a player. Imo, injuries affected heavily on Jurco.

Not saying that didn't affect him, but blaming Babcock for him not making it seems ridiculous when he has been through 3 NHL coaches now, and is the same player he was with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad