Confirmed with Link: Detroit trades 2020 4th round pick to Tampa for Adam Erne

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not saying that didn't affect him, but blaming Babcock for him not making it seems ridiculous when he has been through 3 NHL coaches now, and is the same player he was with us.

Yeah, I'm not blaming Babcock. Jurco got a fair chance and also was put on the team still as waiver-eligible player. It was the first move for many seasons that wasn't a "tie goes to veteran" as a default.

So more of, both Babcock and Holland did give a chance for him.

Oct 18, 2006
Not saying that didn't affect him, but blaming Babcock for him not making it seems ridiculous when he has been through 3 NHL coaches now, and is the same player he was with us.
I do blame Babcock for emphasising heaviness too much though. I remember one season Jurco came back after the summer and he’d put on too much weight in order to play this role. Killed his speed. Add that in to his back injuries, and his potential wasn’t realised.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I just worry if we don't give these 23 year olds an opportunity this year... man... that's getting pretty long in the tooth. With guys potentially zooming past him.
Hate to toss away a first round pick. Especially one with his size and skill.
I'm really not that big of a Svechnikov fan at this point so if he's unlikely to make the team it's not such a bad thing to have guy like Erne who could at least play in a bottom 6 role. And if Svech somehow makes the team and this pushes Abby or Helm out of the lineup that's a win. We have a lot of bottom 6 guys but most of them are marginal NHL'ers at this point. Erne gives us quality depth and it wouldn't shock to see him earn a spot on opening night. That's how bad our roster is right now. That's not a criticism of Erne, I think he can be a solid bottom 6 guy. Maybe pair him up with Veleno and see how that works out.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I know it won't happen, but I still think McIlrath makes more sense than Hicketts, at least the team will have one guy who can fight. And quite frankly, McIlrath lined up as a winger will more than likely outscore Witter anyways. Though out of the D lineup, Bowey probably would make the best forward.

This. I liked what I saw from McIlrath at the end last year. Slower than a 3 toed sloth, but looks like all the other skills are NHL ready. Hickets is fun, but McIlrath is the kind of guy that is more suited for NHL work.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I get the concern, but with Svech I think it's mostly a question of where he's at returning from injury. Physically, I'm sure he's fine, but he missed a whole year of hockey. Maybe he'll show up in camp and be up to speed and ready, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he needs some time this year just to get going again. That would be easier in GR. Then the Wings can call him up when the rust is knocked off.

With Jurco, I think he stopped playing the game that was making him successful. The first 20 or so games of his career, he was a force. He was fast, he was physical, he made things happen going to the net. He goes into Boston, tweaks his back a bit, gets some push back from the Bruins, and he just isn't the same afterwards.

Maybe he just didn't feel physically able to play that way any more, maybe he was a bit gun shy from the combination of injury and the Bruins pushing back, I don't know. But if Jurco would have kept playing that game I think he's still playing for the Wings and he's putting up some points.

Physically, I think Svech will be fine.
After a training camp, he should be at game speed.

Jurco was not physical in junior. In Detroit, I never saw him as physical. He was a guy with some size, intelligence and good hands.
Then Babcock stuck him on Line 4 in his sophomore year. Wanted him to be a big-body, crasher.

Ruined him.
"The biggest difference is that here we're told to make plays instead of just making safe plays and chipping it in and playing safely," Jurco said. "Here you actually should create something if you want to stick in this lineup because there's so many creative players."

"I try to play it safe and it doesn't work here. You obviously can't be risking it at certain times of the game or situation, but most of the time you should try to create something, hold onto pucks and don't just chip it in and go for it."

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
PUHLEASE! What about Chicago, he didn't exactly light it up there? Jurco simply isn't that good, had nothing to do with "bad coaching".

Jurco was pretty decent in Chicago. And once he got his icetime bumped a bit, he was good.
I'm not going to respond to anymore jurco posts this thread, though.

He had major back surgery. Apparently he feels good. He played very well for Charlotte and helped them win.
And now he's trying to make it in Edmonton.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This. I liked what I saw from McIlrath at the end last year. Slower than a 3 toed sloth, but looks like all the other skills are NHL ready. Hickets is fun, but McIlrath is the kind of guy that is more suited for NHL work.

I doubt it happens but I kinda wondered when they let Witkowski go if they thought highly enough of McILrath in his couples games to end the year that they might keep him as the press box/30 games a year player. Hes tougher than Witkowski and while he definitely sucks, so do the wings and it wouldnt hurt the young guys development to have him in the press box and in the line up against tougher teams for limited minutes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt it happens but I kinda wondered when they let Witkowski go if they thought highly enough of McILrath in his couples games to end the year that they might keep him as the press box/30 games a year player. Hes tougher than Witkowski and while he definitely sucks, so do the wings and it wouldnt hurt the young guys development to have him in the press box and in the line up against tougher teams for limited minutes.

I think he is protecting the guys we keep down in the AHL which frankly at this point is a tougher league physically and fighting wise especially.

The Wings are not a small team at the nhl level. We will have to see how the roster shakes out but we should probably be in the top 15 size wise and I don't think we will lack for bite even if Ras and Svech are down to start.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think the Wings are going to bury a bunch (all?) of that second group in GR for at least a few months. But once those kids start coming up that top9 gets crowded in a hurry.
That's not a bad problem to have.

And if Svech somehow makes the team and this pushes Abby or Helm out of the lineup that's a win.
Huge win. The biggest. The best. And I don't care if it's Svech or Raz or whoever.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Now that I'm good and drunk, can I say this was a player I wanted? Because I did 2-3 years ago.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Now that I'm good and drunk, can I say this was a player I wanted? Because I did 2-3 years ago.

Sure, why not!

It's not a flashy trade like Trouba would have been but the guy improves our bottom 6. Every upgrade we make to the line up gets us 1 step close to contention.

Personally, I like the trade. We upgraded the roster and gave up only a 4th rounder.

Reactions: Marky9er

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Fun fact:

Erne had 7 goals and 20 points in 65 games.

Abdelkader had 6 goals and 19 points in 71 games (and average 5 more mins TOI per game than Erne).

Not that Abdlekader is good (or even better than Erne), but Erne was playing with an elite supporting cast and Abdelkader was playing on a bottom 5 team.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Glad to see Yzerman finally making deals like this. This is what I expected him to do.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Didn't go through the whole thread, but by reading comments on the last couple pages, I feel there's gonna be some disappointed Red Wings fans in terms of where they think Erne slots in and where he eventually will end up.

I'd be really surprised to see him get regular 3rd line minutes.

Would you say he’s likely to be more a Dallas Drake like 4th liner? I’m happy either way, just curious

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Looking back at his stats, his AHL numbers are more pedestrian than I thought. But still he was a playoff MVP in the Q, and I hold out hope he could be another Tyler Bertuzzi. Obviously that'd be best case scenario, and anything modestly approaching that would be terrific. Not expecting a whole lot, but I think bottom 6 role player with ability to move up and down the lineup in event of injuries. I don't think he's going to get to play with Larkin obviously, but he could fill in for Bertuzzi etc. Will have to earn the opportunity and the competition should really push ALL these guys.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Not that Abdlekader is good (or even better than Erne), but Erne was playing with an elite supporting cast and Abdelkader was playing on a bottom 5 team.
Erne played on the 4th line with Cedric Paquette as the elite cast sat and watched. I can't imagine he was seeing any PP time, either. He was buried by them, not benefiting from them.

Maybe I am being too optimistic, but that's how I see it.

Maybe, Erne is a cheaper Abdelkader, and that's ok if you don't already have an expensive Abdelkader...I can appreciate that perspective as well I guess.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sure, why not!

It's not a flashy trade like Trouba would have been but the guy improves our bottom 6. Every upgrade we make to the line up gets us 1 step close to contention.

Personally, I like the trade. We upgraded the roster and gave up only a 4th rounder.

Do we really upgrade the roster?
That would seem to depend entirely on who he replaces.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Sure, why not!

Very true. While elite talent is ultimately what we need, these types of moves matter as well and sometimes get overlooked.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do we really upgrade the roster?
That would seem to depend entirely on who he replaces.
I assume Ehn because he doesn't have to go through waivers. Could be DLR I suppose, but either way he's a clear upgrade.

Every forward on the team but Glendening is a right-hand shot, eh?
Everyone is LEFTY except LGD. The other was Vanek.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Bowey can do as a winger, he likes to cycle the puck and shoot. Decent speed skating forward.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Very true. While elite talent is ultimately what we need, these types of moves matter as well and sometimes get overlooked.

I agree.

Another thing to think about with Erne is if he has a really good year we could flip him at the TDL or package him up for a bigger trade, he's on a 1 year deal and still a RFA when it expires.

If we flipped him for a 3rd at the TDL it's better than what we gave up for him. Just a thought anyways.

Reactions: kliq

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Glad to see Yzerman finally making deals like this. This is what I expected him to do.

My suspicion is that Yzerman will be more active when he has a better handle on the roster. I think that's why he was comfortable making the trade for Erne: he knows him very well and as a result was comfortable acquiring him. I'd be shocked if he didn't make trades throughout the season, and not just the TDL ones when you are officially out of the playoffs, which were the only trades Holland would ever make.

I'm legitimately curious to see how he reshapes the roster. I do expect him to be active on the trade front. This is a good, low-key start to acquire a player he knows very well.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
okay with this trade adds a little more on the gritty depth side future grind line stuff. Low risk if it doesn't work out. I remember him having some pretty high potential so maybe there is some more room for him to grow in the future.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
What a disappointment guy has been. Guy's been given a golden opportunity and even some completely undeserved Power Play time, and still has nothing to show for it. What a joke, we have enough players as it is that can't score or get points (Nielsen, Abdelkader, Ehn, Perlini) and Erne does shit all. He doesn't even throw checks out there, waive this guy along with Nielsen ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad