Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm going to look at this from another direction...

Mrazek has quite a bit of luster right now around the league. He's a highly regarded goaltending prospect and holds weight at the negotiation table.

If the Wings let him get shelled a few games with Lashoff and Kindl in front of him, you throw out years of good growth. Mrazek may be the Wings future goalie or he may be one of their better trade chips moving forward. Either way, it's in their best interest to bring him along at a pace that assures the highest likelihood of success.

crashman

I'm going to look at this from another direction...

Mrazek has quite a bit of luster right now around the league. He's a highly regarded goaltending prospect and holds weight at the negotiation table.

If the Wings let him get shelled a few games with Lashoff and Kindl in front of him, you throw out years of good growth. Mrazek may be the Wings future goalie or he may be one of their better trade chips moving forward. Either way, it's in their best interest to bring him along at a pace that assures the highest likelihood of success.

I don't really care what happens with Mrazek at this point. If he's the backup next year or if he spends another full season in GR, it doesn't matter to me.

Backup goaltender isn't something I worry too much about, but I don't understand why they want Gustavsson back. The guy was fine, the team played well in front of him, but he looks shaky ass hell in the net. Plus, he was injured quite a bit.

There's a few other UFAs that I think would be more reliable and just as good. If he does re-sign, I hope they don't give him a raise. He's a career backup.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Gustavsson coming back per HSJ

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Per #RedWings GM Ken Holland, "it appears we've agreed to a one-year deal" with G Jonas Gustavsson. Official announcement coming soon.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Great move, probably a slight raise over his last contract.

Depth is important. Having 3 goalies who can win in the NHL is huge. I for one, am very happy with the move

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I like it for the comfort level with the organization, the term, and the ability to give Mrazek one more year to play big minutes before trying to take Howard's job.

The only thing that really concerns me is how is his groin going to hold up? If he ends up getting hurt often and Mrazek ends up backing up quite a bit anyways, it will all seem like a lost cause.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Color me surprised they get him signed to a one year deal. Gus and his agent must've felt there was no sure thing out there in free agency, for the expected amount of money anyway(similar to last year).

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I don't mind Mrazek staying in the AHL for another year. But, Gus is such an injury risk that I'm not sure if he's the best option. We'll see how many UFA goalies sign for 1 year deals.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Not gonna get upset over a 1 year deal. This is a clear signal to everyone:

Howard: You had an off year, but you better pick it up this season.
Mrazek: We like you a ton, but 60 games in the AHL is better than 20 in the NHL. You'll be up competing for the #1 next year when we could potentially move Jimmy.
Gus: Play well this season and someone might throw a few years at you next season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
i prefer to have 3 goalies in the system who can play in NHL, in case of injuries. i don't trust enough in coreau or paterson.

i'd have been about 50/50 on this otherwise but lean on having mrazek in AHL.
The biggest problem with this signing is that this probably doesn't even allow for leaving Mrazek in the AHL. We've all had experience with Gustavsson now. He breaks his groin every third game. Mrazek's gonna spend a lot of time on a plane, in a bus, and on the bench, but not a lot on the ice. A regular backup can get a good spread of games. An injury backup called to replace Gus doesn't get that.

Here's to hoping Gus actually stays healthy, plays a solid role, and let's see Mrazek actually play those 60+ games in the AHL. I just checked his Wiki page and I guess he only played 32 last season. Hahahaha.

Oh well. I'll just stare at his 2 shut outs, 1.74 GAA, and .927 SV in 9 NHL games last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad