Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Good signing. We now have 3 NHL-caliber goalies in the system, which is always the goal.

Gus's injury proneness is overblown. And Mrazek getting 60 games in the A vs 20 in the bigs.... doesn't matter. This is strictly asset management. Mrazek can go to GR so that's where he goes. That maximizes the organization's depth at goaltender. Next year Mrazek will come up and the organizational depth will likely be weakened, but at least the prospect hounds will be happy :nod:

he didnt get 60 last year. In fact he plyed less than TMC. You want to lose McCollum for no reason, I guess?

We couldve had
Howard, Mrazek
McCollum, Paterson/Coreau

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
he didnt get 60 last year. In fact he plyed less than TMC. You want to lose McCollum for no reason, I guess?

We couldve had
Howard, Mrazek

Exactly what has McCollum proven, other than that he's younger than Howard and Gustavsson?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

We couldve had
Howard, Mrazek

How can we lose someone we don't own?

McCollum is not property of the Red Wings nor was he last season, he was signed to the Griffins but was a Free Agent to any NHL team. He's a free agent to all AHL and NHL teams right now too.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I'm not concerned with how many games Mrazek played last season. I was pointing out that the difference between Mrazek getting 20 NHL games or 60 AHL games (or some combo of the two) next season is negligible in terms of Mrazek's development. He's NHL-ready and he'll be NHL-ready come 2015-16 as well.

As mentioned, McCollum is not in the Red Wings organization and hasn't been for some time. He's not relevant. But even if he were....

We couldve had
Howard, Mrazek

....that is scary, and I'm glad that's not what the Wings are rolling with. 3 NHL-caliber goalies > 2 NHL-caliber goalies. Organizational depth is the most important factor in all of this.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
I'm not concerned with how many games Mrazek played last season. I was pointing out that the difference between Mrazek getting 20 NHL games or 60 AHL games (or some combo of the two) next season is negligible in terms of Mrazek's development. He's NHL-ready and he'll be NHL-ready come 2015-16 as well.

As mentioned, McCollum is not in the Red Wings organization and hasn't been for some time. He's not relevant. But even if he were....

....that is scary, and I'm glad that's not what the Wings are rolling with. 3 NHL-caliber goalies > 2 NHL-caliber goalies. Organizational depth is the most important factor in all of this.

Gus isn't NHL calibre. 900 career save%. If hockey had WAR, he would be negative.

McCollum is in the Wings pipeline. What are you talking about? He just had a stellar year on the Griffins last year and will likely sign a 2-way NHL deal again this summer. Maybe here, maybe not now. He's only 24.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Gus isn't NHL calibre. 900 career save%. If hockey had WAR, he would be negative.

McCollum is in the Wings pipeline. What are you talking about? He just had a stellar year on the Griffins last year and will likely sign a 2-way NHL deal again this summer. Maybe here, maybe not now. He's only 24.

If he chooses to be in our organization, he can probably re-sign here, but he's a free agent and can go anywhere. He's as much in our pipeline right now as Al Montoya.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
How can we lose someone we don't own?

McCollum is not property of the Red Wings nor was he last season, he was signed to the Griffins but was a Free Agent to any NHL team. He's a free agent to all AHL and NHL teams right now too.

We dont have his rights but he would lean towards signing with us because we gave him a chance last year. He looks promising again. I'd sacrifice 20 games of Mrazek's precious development to keep a guy like McCollum in the pipeline for 2 more years.

He's going to sign a NHL contract somewhere. The question is now does he want to be the guy either behind Mrazek or sharing time with Mrazek (again), or does he want to go somewhere he's the first call-up?

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
What's so great about McCollum?

If you were asking this in 2013, I would answer not much. But you have a whole year of new data. Maybe he's figured it out now.

He deserves some respect now. He'll get a two year deal somewhere for AHL starter duty.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Jimmy is going to have a bounce back year, and play a lot of games, and put up good numbers. So I'm not that worried about our backup.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Point is, we came to a fork in the road. The fork is to keep McCollum or Gustavsson, I believe. We chose the wrong direction, if that's the case. I think signing Gustavsson, and being stubborn about Mrazek, cost us one or two years of a second chance for TMC.

I thought last year the Wings were awesome for grabbing McCollum on a AHL deal. Then when he started coming around, I thought they were even smarter for perhaps scaring him into playing better. They denied him a NHL deal and gave him a kick in the pants. Now they might have given that all up for a year of Gustavsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Point is, we came to a fork in the road. The fork is to keep McCollum or Gustavsson, I believe. We chose the wrong direction, if that's the case. I think signing Gustavsson, and being stubborn about Mrazek, cost us one or two years of a second chance for TMC.

I thought last year the Wings were awesome for grabbing McCollum on a AHL deal. Then when he started coming around, I thought they were even smarter for perhaps scaring him into playing better. They denied him a NHL deal and gave him a kick in the pants. Now they might have given that all up for a year of Gustavsson.

Gustavsson is sketchy, but I'd take him as a backup goalie over McCollum any day.

McCollum is the epitome of sketchy. He let's in 1 bad goal, and 3 more are coming in no time.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Gustavsson is sketchy, but I'd take him as a backup goalie over McCollum any day.

It wouldnt be Gus or McCollum as back up. Gus as a backup here cost us McCollum as a starter in the AHL. Because now, Mrazek is the starter in the AHL when he could be the backup in the NHL.

It's either
Howard-Mrazek with TMC starting most AHL games and getting some call-ups (not happening now)
--or--
Howard-Gus with Mrazek getting callups, McCollum getting no (1?) call-ups
--or--
McCollum leaves for a starting AHL job and gets lots of call-ups.

Which one would you choose if you were Thomas McCollum?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
If you were asking this in 2013, I would answer not much. But you have a whole year of new data. Maybe he's figured it out now.

He deserves some respect now. He'll get a two year deal somewhere for AHL starter duty.

Do you have any proof moreso than a "maybe he's figured it out now?" Because frankly, one good season doesn't offset a bunch of bad ones.

He'll spend his career as an AHL journeyman. There are a bunch of reasons not to have wanted to see Gustavsson re-signed. Losing McCollum isn't one that's worth getting worked up over.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Again...the contract McCollum is on is not from the Wings in any way...NHL teams don't sign players to "AHL deals", just one way and 2 way contracts. McCollum got neither from Detroit, who already moved on from him.

With Paterson coming in to join Coreau there is no place for McCollum with the Griffins either now...if he's going to continue playing hockey he'll have to find a new home.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did anyone notice how horrible Jared Coreau was at last season? I'd rather dump him than McCollum.

Coreau had 4 AHL games and lost them all, with abysmal 87.3 save percentage

Coreau had 20 ECHL games and won only 1 game (!), with abysmal 87.9 save percentage.

There's nothing special in this guy. He just sucks.

I'd keep McCollum as Griffins backup and put Paterson to starting role at Toledo to maximize starter ice-time for all of our most important goalies, Howard, Mrazek and Paterson.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I think Jimmy is going to have a bounce back year, and play a lot of games, and put up good numbers. So I'm not that worried about our backup.

This.

I categorically don't like goaltenders, and I've never been a big fan of Howard, but I'll never understand why people decide that after one down (or up) season with a goaltender, their performance season-to-season will mirror that trend. Almost all NHL starters are consistently inconsistent.

Howard has had a rough season before (when Lidstrom and Raffi were still a power couple no less) and he managed to rebound in a year where Lidstrom was actually a source of frustration, Stuart was terrible, and we had lost Raffi.

There's actually more reason to think Howard will be better next year than not.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Did anyone notice how horrible Jared Coreau was at last season? I'd rather dump him than McCollum.

Coreau had 4 AHL games and lost them all, with abysmal 87.3 save percentage

Coreau had 20 ECHL games and won only 1 game (!), with abysmal 87.9 save percentage.

There's nothing special in this guy. He just sucks.

I'd keep McCollum as Griffins backup and put Paterson to starting role at Toledo to maximize starter ice-time for all of our most important goalies, Howard, Mrazek and Paterson.

Coreau's terrible play was well noted. I don't think there's a "rather dump Coreau" scenario - I think its a foregone conclusion that he's "gone" no matter what happens with the goaltending depth, even if it means backing up at the ECHL level.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Again...the contract McCollum is on is not from the Wings in any way...NHL teams don't sign players to "AHL deals", just one way and 2 way contracts. McCollum got neither from Detroit, who already moved on from him.

A player drafted by Detroit, playing for the Griffins still has connections to the big team. They did not move on from him completely. I cant believe that. There's a reason he was on the Griffins and not somewhere else.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Do you have any proof moreso than a "maybe he's figured it out now?" Because frankly, one good season doesn't offset a bunch of bad ones.

Proof that he's figured it out? I only have the one season. But to say Id rather have Gustavsson in the ranks over him is a lie. Ill take the 24 year old draftee with new promise over the 30 year old with a career .900 save%. Neither of them are NHL goalies, to me, right now. Gus gets the credit for having experience, of course. Experience that only shows how bad he is.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014

as would I. But that's not really realistic. McCollum will get a real deal somewhere like he deserves. Not playing 4th string again. He's 24 and coming off a good year so he'll go where he can get some nhl games. Which is not here. It couldve been here which would have been cool to see.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Proof that he's figured it out? I only have the one season. But to say Id rather have Gustavsson in the ranks over him is a lie. Ill take the 24 year old draftee with new promise over the 30 year old with a career .900 save%. Neither of them are NHL goalies, to me, right now. Gus gets the credit for having experience, of course. Experience that only shows how bad he is.

McCollum has a ton of that, too. I looked at his stats earlier and short of last year, and the year before when Grand Rapids won the Calder Cup with a STACKED team, he's nothing short of bad. Difference between he and Gustavsson is that Gus is an NHL goaltender. I realize there is sentimentality involved because McCollum is our first round pick the year we last won the Cup, but let him go. He's just not as good as you think.

as would I. But that's not really realistic. McCollum will get a real deal somewhere like he deserves. Not playing 4th string again. He's 24 and coming off a good year so he'll go where he can get some nhl games. Which is not here. It couldve been here which would have been cool to see.

I doubt McCollum gets anything but a fourth string deal. Again.

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Gustavsson's performance last season, and maybe only last season, probably should have earned him another look. Albeit, a short-term deal is smart, because Mrazek's last call up was really exciting. I think when Mrazek earns another opportunity in 2014/15, he will make it impossible to send him back down again, he will just prove too valuable. And it probably doesn't hurt to bring Mrazek up sort of ultra ripe; Howard isn't going anywhere for a while.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I'm not much of a Gustavsson fan, but he's at least an average NHL backup. At the very worst, he's the 3rd best goalie in the system, and most certainly better than McCollum.

I don't understand the McCollum hang-up here. That ship sailed long ago. He's been written off, and rightfully so. I wouldn't be shocked to see him appear in an NHL game next season for another club, but I would bet he never gets past the AHL.

In the end, Gustavsson is relevant to the Wings and McCollum is not. They have nothing to do with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad