Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/detroit_red_wings_hoping_to_si.html

Not what I wanted to see

UPDATE 6/19/14:

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Per #RedWings GM Ken Holland, "it appears we've agreed to a one-year deal" with G Jonas Gustavsson. Official announcement coming soon.

UPDATE 6/25/14:

Ansar Khan *@AnsarKhanMLive *
Jonas Gustavsson officially signed his one-year contract with Wings today. Slight bump from $1.5 million to $1.85 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
nothing against Gustavsson as far as ability goes really,he's a decent enough backup

but I just don't trust him to stay healthy

the Wings need to either bring Mrazek up as the backup or sign someone more durable or it's gonna be last year all over again with him

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Would rather see Mrazek backing-up next season. But if it's not gonna happen and thereby between
extending Gus for 1 year or signing another backup goalie, i'd most definitely go for the first one.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
the Wings need to either bring Mrazek up as the backup or sign someone more durable or it's gonna be last year all over again with him

Eh, whatever, if Gus gets hurt, Mrazek gets the call up. The Red Wings clearly want Mrazek to start a lot of games in the AHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd rather see Mrazek playing more games at next season. AHL is the place to get most of them.

Many in here hate that overripening system, but with goalies, it really works it's best. There is only one spot to get good ice-time and other has to sit mostly.

Veteran like Gustavsson is ideal to sign for "sitting on the bench".

After next season starts the battle, when Mrazek is promoted and Howard doesn't have his NMC anymore.

The kid will push Howard out from Detroit and we will Luongo-Schneider style of "problem". Thank god Howard's contract is quite tradeable then, I think.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Like I've said before, it's either this or it's signing a veteran to play in GR. Howard and Mrazek with nothing behind in case of injuries is not enough.

That said, I can see Gustavsson walk away from a one year offer. He knows he's battling with health and every year of term he can get is huge. Some team out there can probably give him two years I think. On the other hand if he's healthy this year he could have a good season with a team on the rise and cash in next summer.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
would rather have someone with the upside of stealing howards job. that would be mrazek. give me a vet for GR to play with patterson

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i prefer to have 3 goalies in the system who can play in NHL, in case of injuries. i don't trust enough in coreau or paterson.

i'd have been about 50/50 on this otherwise but lean on having mrazek in AHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like the job he did last year. But I don't have a lot of faith in him staying healthy. So I see Mrazek being called up quite a bit again to be a placeholder for the backup while Jimmy starts.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I like the job he did last year. But I don't have a lot of faith in him staying healthy. So I see Mrazek being called up quite a bit again to be a placeholder for the backup while Jimmy starts.

Yeah, I agree. I'd rather see just about anyone who could stay healthy sign a one-year deal to back Jimmy up.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Why was last year's goaltending situation viewed as such a bad thing? Disregarding Howard's sub-par play for most of the season because that's not what this is about.

Howard got the vast majority of starts.
Gustavsson played well in his starts and found a way to win a lot of those games. (16 out of 27)
Mrazek filled in when needed and was good as well. Allowed 13 goals in 9 games.

Clearly the Wings organization thinks Mrazek needs more starts in the AHL before becoming a full time NHLer. So if we're going the free agent route with a backup next season, what's so bad about keeping Gustavsson then?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Why was last year's goaltending situation viewed as such a bad thing? Disregarding Howard's sub-par play for most of the season because that's not what this is about.

Gustavsson played well in his starts and found a way to win a lot of those games. (16 out of 27)

Clearly the Wings organization thinks Mrazek needs more starts in the AHL before becoming a full time NHLer. So if we're going the free agent route with a backup next season, what's so bad about keeping Gustavsson then?

I think there are better backups on the market and I'd rather try to get one of them. However, if Holland feels that none of the other backups are willing to take a 1 year deal than Gus is fine.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think there are better backups on the market and I'd rather try to get one of them. However, if Holland feels that none of the other backups are willing to take a 1 year deal than Gus is fine.

Even if there are better backups... the Wings have much bigger needs on the team than improving on Monster. If they can sign him for a year at the same money, I'm all for bringing him back.

I want Mrazek to continue to play in the role of a #1 goalie for as long as he can cap wise.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
nothing against Gustavsson as far as ability goes really,he's a decent enough backup

but I just don't trust him to stay healthy

I guess if Gus is injured every other start, Mrazek will get some callups. I just pray to god those callups turn into playing time and not just bench sitting.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

the problem was that Gustavsson would continually end up injured and then Mrazek would come up and sit on the bench, not playing in Detroit or in GR. If the plan is to get Mrazek consistent starts in GR, we need a back-up we can depend on to stay healthy.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
it seems like even with his record last year. The health concerns which should be very obvious because he just can't keep healthy.I just don't understand what the Red Wings fascination with old broken-down players are. Cleary Bert sammy now Gus. I mean there has to be healthy alternatives that are free agents. Even if you don't use the stud named mzrak.

Johnz96*

it seems like even with his record last year. The health concerns which should be very obvious because he just can't keep healthy.I just don't understand what the Red Wings fascination with old broken-down players are. Cleary Bert sammy now Gus. I mean there has to be healthy alternatives that are free agents. Even if you don't use the stud named mzrak.

Pure stupidity

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

29 is old and broken down?

Aug 6, 2012
Don't mind Mrazek in the minors, but Gustavsson is WAY too injury prone to be a reliable backup. Would rather go for a different backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad