Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'd rather have Breezy purely for entertainment purposes. Fine with this. I'm sure Pete Rock will get 5+ NHL and 40+ AHL games easily.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm a fan of gus, I would have liked to see Mrazek but whatevs. I have always routed for Gus to have a full healthy season I think he could do some damage and be one of the best backups in the leauge if healthy and even push Howard out of the net if he struggled. But I don't think a sane person can expect Gus to stay healthy.

Maybe Holland figures Gus or Howard will eventually be injured and Mrazek can come in then.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'd rather have Breezy purely for entertainment purposes. Fine with this. I'm sure Pete Rock will get 5+ NHL and 40+ AHL games easily.

For development sake, that sounds Perfect. Mrazek gets the ice time of being a starter while gaining more experience against the best of the best.

Gus as a 1 yr stop gap is perfect for Mrazek and this team, IMO

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For development sake, that sounds Perfect. Mrazek gets the ice time of being a starter while gaining more experience against the best of the best.

Gus as a 1 yr stop gap is perfect for Mrazek and this team, IMO

+1. This is perfect for the Wings and all 3 goalies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't know who 1 person in this post is.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'm fine with this. Mrazek wouldn't start enough next year in the NHL anyways. I'd rather see him be the full time starter in the AHL than play sparingly in the NHL. Bring him up to the NHL in 2015.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Mrazek has a year of waiver eligibility left. I'd rather have him playing every night in GR then sitting behind Jimmy and playing ~20 games.

But he might be ready to make a move. Always hate when a contract rule comes into play. Bottom line - if he is ready to take the #1, which he may be coming into camp, then let him win games for the Wings. I think its obvious that everyone knows Howards days are not eternal in Detroit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
At this point in his development 20 NHL games + NHL practices > 76 AHL games. He has nothing left to learn or proove in the AHL just like the time wasted with Nyquist. Going with Gus is acceptable but not ideal IMO although if Gus can be healthy it could be big for the team. It will be a really season in net.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
At this point in his development 20 NHL games + NHL practices > 76 AHL games. He has nothing left to learn or proove in the AHL just like the time wasted with Nyquist.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Goalies require more seasoning and experience to establish themselves than forwards (or even defense men need).

In fact, Monster battling injuries will help Mrazek gain experience in the NHL. a few games against the best, will improve his game. While starting regularly in the AHL will build confidence and help develop his mental game. Its honestly the best case scenario for all parties (save for Gustavsson lol).

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
At this point in his development 20 NHL games + NHL practices > 76 AHL games.

Mrazek is only 22. Goalies take way longer to develop. The Red Wings are probably hoping he can be a full-time starter by the age of 25. He's had a lot of success early in his career, but that doesn't mean he's NHL ready yet.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
At this point in his development 20 NHL games + NHL practices > 76 AHL games. He has nothing left to learn or proove in the AHL just like the time wasted with Nyquist. Going with Gus is acceptable but not ideal IMO although if Gus can be healthy it could be big for the team. It will be a really season in net.

Practice??? Where talking about practice... Not a game... But practice???:sarcasm:
sorry had too

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mrazek is only 22. Goalies take way longer to develop. The Red Wings are probably hoping he can be a full-time starter by the age of 25. He's had a lot of success early in his career, but that doesn't mean he's NHL ready yet.

It's because more than other positions, goaltending is between the ears. Lundqvist doesn't have any special physical features other NHL goalies don't have (which is why he was drafted so late), but his composure, attitude, and ability to bounce back are all tremendous. Hard to measure those things in an 18-year-old.

When you hear goalies "take a longer to hit their peak" I think it means kids have to grow up. The body is ready, but the mind has to be sharpened to handle the rigors of every shot being dangerous, which it can be at the NHL level.

There's also fine tweaking the positioning to adjust for the better shooters and faster game. That's a part defensive players and goaltenders share in common.

Now as an aside, to inject a little extra discussion into this, the brain doesn't really develop fully until age 25.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

So the changes that happen between 18 and 25 are a continuation of the process that starts around puberty, and 18 year olds are about halfway through that process. Their prefrontal cortex is not yet fully developed. That's the part of the brain that helps you to inhibit impulses and to plan and organize your behavior to reach a goal.

And the other part of the brain that is different in adolescence is that the brain's reward system becomes highly active right around the time of puberty and then gradually goes back to an adult level, which it reaches around age 25 and that makes adolescents and young adults more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations.

Could this a partial explanation why it seems so many goalies, in such a metal game position, bloom later? Food for thought!

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Interesting post, sounds reasonable. Individual differences between the goalies' development aside.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Interesting post, sounds reasonable. Individual differences between the goalies' development aside.

I'm just spitballing. I have no idea if there's a connection. But when folks kept saying young goalies like Mrazek needs time to develop it made me think... maybe it's his brain, not his muscles, they are waiting on. ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@NicholsOnHockey
Martin Brodeur tells LeBrun today mentally he's ready to leave #NJDevils. Will go to July 1. Hasn't closed door on Devils totally though.

Howard-Brodeur tandem?? :sarcasm:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
@NicholsOnHockey
Martin Brodeur tells LeBrun today mentally he's ready to leave #NJDevils. Will go to July 1. Hasn't closed door on Devils totally though.

I think it's time for Marty to retire.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
@ Bench,

as I said, individual differences between goalies aside. But for some, that might indeed be an explanation that they rather profit by overriping.

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
@NicholsOnHockey

As awesome as it would be to have seen Hasek and Brodeur in the Winged Wheel, he's just going to be too pricey for a backup. That money is needed elsewhere.

Detroit Sports*

I rather promote Mrazek to back up. But I hope we address our main problem in net this off-season via trade.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
the problem was that Gustavsson would continually end up injured and then Mrazek would come up and sit on the bench, not playing in Detroit or in GR. If the plan is to get Mrazek consistent starts in GR, we need a back-up we can depend on to stay healthy.

I see what you're saying.

If Howard stays healthy, he should see 60 starts next season though. That's only 22 or less games remaining for the backup. I think Gustavsson will be able to handle that.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
1 year isn't a big deal. I think he's perfectly serviceable to play 20-25 games. I'd rather Mrazek get another season in of playing a bunch of games, and then make the leap the following season.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can see Gustavsson walk away from a one year offer. He knows he's battling with health and every year of term he can get is huge. Some team out there can probably give him two years I think.

I'd suggest Holland trade his rights to Buffalo but he's the most passive GM in the NHL. I don't want to sign Gustavsson for one year, let alone multiple years. Let Mrazek compete with Howard for the #1 spot in Detroit and let McCollum and Paterson compete for the #1 spot in Grand Rapids.

Enough of signing every ****ing washed up player because it's the path of least resistance for Holland. For ****'s sake, I bet if Holland signs him to a new deal he even gives Gus a NMC and a NTC. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad