Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The biggest problem with this signing is that this probably doesn't even allow for leaving Mrazek in the AHL. We've all had experience with Gustavsson now. He breaks his groin every third game. Mrazek's gonna spend a lot of time on a plane, in a bus, and on the bench, but not a lot on the ice. A regular backup can get a good spread of games. An injury backup called to replace Gus doesn't get that.

Here's to hoping Gus actually stays healthy, plays a solid role, and let's see Mrazek actually play those 60+ games in the AHL. I just checked his Wiki page and I guess he only played 32 last season. Hahahaha.

Oh well. I'll just stare at his 2 shut outs, 1.74 GAA, and .927 SV in 9 NHL games last season.

yeah, that's my concern, too. I have no problem with the idea of wanting Mrazek to get a full season with a heavy work load in GR, but Monster has shown zero ability to stay healthy. Not thrilled with the idea of seeing Mrazek up just to sit on the bench while Monster sits in the trainer's room.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The biggest problem with this signing is that this probably doesn't even allow for leaving Mrazek in the AHL. We've all had experience with Gustavsson now. He breaks his groin every third game. Mrazek's gonna spend a lot of time on a plane, in a bus, and on the bench, but not a lot on the ice. A regular backup can get a good spread of games. An injury backup called to replace Gus doesn't get that.

Here's to hoping Gus actually stays healthy, plays a solid role, and let's see Mrazek actually play those 60+ games in the AHL. I just checked his Wiki page and I guess he only played 32 last season. Hahahaha.

Oh well. I'll just stare at his 2 shut outs, 1.74 GAA, and .927 SV in 9 NHL games last season.

I think what you'll see happen in the case of an injury to Gustavsson is Paterson being called up to ride the pine while Mrazek continues to start in GR. If Howard goes down I think you'll see Mrazek called up with him competing with Gus for starts.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Maybe they call up Coreau this year when they need a backup for Howard when Gus can't play and allow Mrazek to start as scheduled in GR? If so, then it could make more sense.

If you need to put a backup goalie in, you probably lost the game anyway. Any long-term injury to Howard would see Mrazek called up to start or split starts with Gus regardless.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
nothing against Gustavsson as far as ability goes really,he's a decent enough backup

but I just don't trust him to stay healthy

the Wings need to either bring Mrazek up as the backup or sign someone more durable or it's gonna be last year all over again with him

That actually isn't such a bad thing. It allows Mrazek to get more time in the NHL while still being the #1 in GR. It's a process for a goaltender and Mrazek is right where everyone should want him to be. Another year in GR and 7-10 NHL games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yes, my BOY!

I like Gus a lot. Last season I was awestruck at how he battled, I think he wants to make a real push toward becoming an elite goalie. Good for us. May be he's pumped up by the script of the new movie arriving soon, "Henrik", his countryman and goalie hero.

Most importantly he hates the Maple Leafs and wants to rub their nose in it.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This is fine for another year.

Howard was slow-walked to the NHL...wasn't until he was 25 when they gave him the reigns. I hope Mrazek doesn't have to wait 3 more years. Howard spent 3 years in Grand Rapids after leaving Maine. This coming year is Mrazek's third year in Grand Rapids. It smells like he'll be up next year to compete for the starting job or at least be the primary backup.

crashman

For that reason alone he never wouldh ave been the Wings' backup.

I would have been happy with Montoya, Bryzgalov or even Nabokov. Thomas is still a good goalie but he does seem like a bit of a drama queen.

Gus is fine if they're not going to let Mrazek be the backup, I just don't think he's as good as his stats indicated last season, and he's constantly injured.

But like I've said before, I don't stress too much over the back up goalie situation. Howard is a good goalie that can start a lot of games, plus we have Mrazek as insurance.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Perfect. Gustavsson got us into the playoffs with his stellar play in many of his starts. People complain about his health but he still played 27 games. If Howard bounces back to playing the way he's capable of, Gus should only see 20-25 starts.

Leaving Mrazek in GR another year is the best thing for his development and for the long-term future of the team.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Cant stay healthy while he is better than Howard when healthy the injury thing makes him a bad deal. :shakehead

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Good signing. We now have 3 NHL-caliber goalies in the system, which is always the goal.

Gus's injury proneness is overblown. And Mrazek getting 60 games in the A vs 20 in the bigs.... doesn't matter. This is strictly asset management. Mrazek can go to GR so that's where he goes. That maximizes the organization's depth at goaltender. Next year Mrazek will come up and the organizational depth will likely be weakened, but at least the prospect hounds will be happy :nod:

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
I am ok with this... though he really needs to find a way to stay healthy.

It seemed like any game he played, the game after he went back on IR.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I won't lie: when Howard was too ill to play in game 3, I was half-hoping that Monster would go down too; should both a team's goalies be felled, literally anybody can take up the slack, and that would have meant Osgood in net.

The sheer entertainment and nostalgia value would've been worth a sure defeat.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I am ok with this... though he really needs to find a way to stay healthy.

It seemed like any game he played, the game after he went back on IR.

That's the downside of being a backup. You play so infrequently that you're more prone to pull something if you don't correctly train to only play 20 games a season. He probably needs to work on that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For that reason alone he never would have been the Wings' backup.

I don't think that is really the reason. We have employed a guy that was on the commissioner **** list. Shanahan was often outspoken across the board. One of our franchise players came out with an interesting comment last year while the other one said the exact opposite. Dom assaulted a guy in the Czech Republic and we took him back, plus he was a strange interview. The Wings in my opinion are much better at the screening of local media than the team message. They have a pretty boring culture but like I said I think a part of that is they have their thumb impressively over who they give access to in my opinion.

Thomas would have been an outspoken advocate of getting more PT. That probably does him in more than his curious political ideas.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I won't lie: when Howard was too ill to play in game 3, I was half-hoping that Monster would go down too; should both a team's goalies be felled, literally anybody can take up the slack, and that would have meant Osgood in net.

The sheer entertainment and nostalgia value would've been worth a sure defeat.

They would have called up Mrazek and sent Red Bird one to pick him up. Manny seemed closer to playing than Osgood who has basically spent all year on air talking about how much his back hurts whenever they put him on air.

By the way would love to see Manny Legacy become the between the benches guy, I think he is Panger esk there and has a real future with the microphone.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
terrible signing. career .900 save%. Gus sucks. You MOD to think he can not only repeat his career best .907 save% but also get the same goal support to have a 720 win%.

Gustavsson next year - .901 save %, 9-10-3 record.

another Ken Holland nightmare. on to Quincey and Cleary

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad