Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd suggest Holland trade his rights to Buffalo but he's the most passive GM in the NHL. I don't want to sign Gustavsson for one year, let alone multiple years. Let Mrazek compete with Howard for the #1 spot in Detroit and let McCollum and Paterson compete for the #1 spot in Grand Rapids.

Enough of signing every ****ing washed up player because it's the path of least resistance for Holland. For ****'s sake, I bet if Holland signs him to a new deal he even gives Gus a NMC and a NTC. :shakehead

What exactly is washed up about Gus? He's an NHL backup. No more, no less. That's all he has ever been. He is not a bad player.

I have no problem with the Wings getting a third viable NHL goalie to stick in the rotation. Especially for the 1.5M it will likely take. I'd rather have the insurance against a Howard being mediocre again and Mrazek slumping because he's a rookie.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Gus is not washed up at all he is just made of glass. He was one of the most sought after UFA players coming from Europe then he had that hart issue in Toronto and has never put together a healthy string since.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Personally, I don't get the debate. Gus is gone. After the year he had as a backup, he's at least going to get a 2 year deal. And, for more money than Detroit will offer.

Gustavsson is on record saying he likes it here. He wants to return if possible. Kind of debunks that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know his record shines like a diamond, but his save percentage was more like coal... .907. Which is actually higher than his career average.

Of the 51 goalies that played more than 25 games, that ranks him at 41st.

He played better in the playoffs, I'll give him that.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Alternatively, how do you guys feel about Brodeur?

"I've come to the conclusion that I'm definitely going to be available July 1 (when he becomes an unrestricted free agent),'' Brodeur told ESPN.com. "I want to play one more season, and I want to see what's out there."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721986

On a one year contract I wouldnt mind him as the backup. He would be a good mentor for Howard/Mrazek. Hell, Maybe he could teach Howard a thing or two about handling the puck.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

On a one year contract I wouldnt mind him as the backup. He would be a good mentor for Howard/Mrazek. Hell, Maybe he could teach Howard a thing or two about handling the puck.

My limited viewings of him this year, although a small sample size, did not leave me very impressed.

He's a legend but he's certainly not what he used to be. And if I understand correctly, the whole reason he'd leave NJ is because he still believes he can be a starter.

Reminds me of Brett Favre in a way.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

I don't see it, I think he wants at minimum to be in a true goalie tandem and he won't get that here. He has better options for more playing time elsewhere with teams that have similar cup chances as the Wings.

Plus, I may be wrong about this, but Broduer doesn't strike me as a guy who enjoys mentoring young players. He kinda seems full of himself. He wasn't very cordial with Schneider in New Jersey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@walsha
I spoke with Tomas Vokoun earlier today and he is 100% committed to playing in the NHL next season.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Didn't Mrazek recently express a lack of interest in playing in the A next season?

Zero interest in Brodeur regardless.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I've pretty much up given up hope on Jimmy. I guess I will give him one more season to prove himself. However, if he craps the bed and stinks it up again this season, then I say dump him.

Howard was pretty good the season before last. This was easily his worst season ever.

we like our team*

howard's had 3 great seasons and 2 subpar ones. he's shown before that he's capable of rebounding

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Dont know about this, I kinda would have liked to see more of Mrazek. I guess we might have to wait another year for that.

Gustavsson is a pretty good back up though, his biggest flaw is that he is injury prone. So it's not a big deal if its just a one year contract.

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
My limited viewings of him this year, although a small sample size, did not leave me very impressed.

He's a legend but he's certainly not what he used to be. And if I understand correctly, the whole reason he'd leave NJ is because he still believes he can be a starter.

Reminds me of Brett Favre in a way.

I don't see it, I think he wants at minimum to be in a true goalie tandem and he won't get that here. He has better options for more playing time elsewhere with teams that have similar cup chances as the Wings.

Plus, I may be wrong about this, but Broduer doesn't strike me as a guy who enjoys mentoring young players. He kinda seems full of himself. He wasn't very cordial with Schneider in New Jersey.

I agree with him not wanting to be a backup, but if he is ok with coming here to play ~30 behind Jimmy, there's nobody I'd rather have here with Mrazek if Howard gets hurt.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I know his record shines like a diamond, but his save percentage was more like coal... .907. Which is actually higher than his career average.

Of the 51 goalies that played more than 25 games, that ranks him at 41st.

He played better in the playoffs, I'll give him that.

Bingo. Sample size.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
i'd re-sign sammy before going after brodeur.

+1
I really think Brodeur is one of the worst goalies in the league. I doubt any team will sign him, though there Are some dumb GMs so he might get a deal. Anyhow, It will be a very bad deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad