Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Gustavsson (1 year, $1.85 million)

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
I'm not much of a Gustavsson fan, but he's at least an average NHL backup. At the very worst, he's the 3rd best goalie in the system, and most certainly better than McCollum.

Nothing points to him being an average backup. He was average last season. One time. Hell be back down to .900 or worse again by December.

His 16-5-4 record was a total fluke. repeat the same games with the same save% applied and you could get anything from 7-16 wins. It all had to do with goal support. Factor in that his save% was his best ever and is also not likely to be repeated.

Best Im hoping for for him next year is 9 wins in 25 starts. 9-12-4

Mrazek, on the other hand. Well, you know how good he is. He had 2 shutouts in 1/3 the amount of games that Gustavsson had 0.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
A player drafted by Detroit, playing for the Griffins still has connections to the big team. They did not move on from him completely. I cant believe that. There's a reason he was on the Griffins and not somewhere else.

Because they were the best team willing to have him, it had nothing to do with the Wings choosing for him to play there.

At any point last season another NHL team could have signed him to a 2 way contract and moved him to their AHL club.

The odds of him catching on elsewhere is pretty slim, he'll likely be forced to look for a job in a lesser league or if he's lucky Europe.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nothing points to him being an average backup. He was average last season. One time. Hell be back down to .900 or worse again by December.

His 16-5-4 record was a total fluke. repeat the same games with the same save% applied and you could get anything from 7-16 wins. It all had to do with goal support. Factor in that his save% was his best ever and is also not likely to be repeated.

Best Im hoping for for him next year is 9 wins in 25 starts. 9-12-4

Mrazek, on the other hand. Well, you know how good he is. He had 2 shutouts in 1/3 the amount of games that Gustavsson had 0.

Everything points to him being an average backup. Play every once in a while behind an established starter and simply play well enough to keep your team in the game.

He came in against a vastly superior opponent in the playoffs and kept the Wings within striking distance in both games 4 and 5. Yeah, 16-5-4 was a fluke, but if that weren't the case, we wouldn't be talking about him as our backup, we'd be looking at him as a starter.

Jonas Gustavsson is an average goalie that plays well enough to keep the guys in front of him working hard. That's what I care about in my back up goalie. Can he come in and play well enough to give me a chance to win in those games where my starter needs a breather. Gus can do that.

Neither I nor the Red Wings believe that Thomas McCollum would if he were on the big club.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
I guess I have higher expectations for backups. .900 save% and 0-1 shutouts isnt going to cut it for me over 25 games and that's what Gustavsson averages in his career.

Chance to win? the chance to win only comes if gets 3 or sometimes 4 goals of support. What a joke. He played well for the two games in the playoffs but who cares. Nice job pointing at the smallest sample possible.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I guess I have higher expectations for backups. .900 save% and 0-1 shutouts isnt going to cut it for me over 25 games and that's what Gustavsson averages in his career.

Chance to win? the chance to win only comes if gets 3 or sometimes 4 goals of support. What a joke. He played well for the two games in the playoffs but who cares. Nice job pointing at the smallest sample possible.

I don't know man; there are a lot of worse backups we could have, and a lot worse scenarios that involve McCollum as our third goalie. That scares me more than Gustavsson playing twenty games next season.

It's a non-issue, honestly. Right now this team has bigger concerns than backup goalie.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Because they were the best team willing to have him, it had nothing to do with the Wings choosing for him to play there.

At any point last season another NHL team could have signed him to a 2 way contract and moved him to their AHL club.

The odds of him catching on elsewhere is pretty slim, he'll likely be forced to look for a job in a lesser league or if he's lucky Europe.

and I jsut dont buy it. No, nobody was going to sign him in the middle of the year last season. Total bumpkiss just to sound technically right. Teams wait until specific times to move players around more often than not. You know it, I know it. Once he was a Griffin, he was 99% going to be a Griffin all year.

You sit here and tell me the Wings are talking to Blashill but not McCollum. Gimme a damn break.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That AHL-contract for McCollum was just a smart trick to get him outside from our 50-player NHL-contract limit.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
and I jsut dont buy it. No, nobody was going to sign him in the middle of the year last season. Total bumpkiss just to sound technically right. Teams wait until specific times to move players around more often than not. You know it, I know it. Once he was a Griffin, he was 99% going to be a Griffin all year.

You sit here and tell me the Wings are talking to Blashill but not McCollum. Gimme a damn break.

I'm sure they talk to him, and they still have enough loyalty to not send him packing when there is an open spot on the roster.

What they won't do however is give him a spot that would block the development of guys they've got signed contracts with (Patterson and Coreau)

McCollum is in the same boat as Paetch and Hoggan, they are not property of the Red Wings and are free to negotiate deals with any team willing to sign them to a 2 way NHL contract.

The reason these guys end up staying put has nothing to do with "teams waiting until specific times to move players around" it has to do with the fact that teams don't want to waste one of their 50 contract spots on guys that have next to no chance to ever make the NHL.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Right now this team has bigger concerns than backup goalie.

Not really. Not when the differences are so glaring. If Gus faces 750 shots, he will allow 15 more goals than Mrazek, just based on average save%. Maybe those 15 goals are meaningless and come on nights the Wings score 6. Maybe they are spread out over 15 games though. One dagger each night.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Coreau belongs in the echl for now, Flashy. I thought that was you that even said that. McCollum as the starter for a couple years in the A is not blocking anybody's path. We dont have anybody else really. Paterson will be a rookie. Coreau played on the walleye.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Not really. Not when the differences are so glaring. If Gus faces 750 shots, he will allow 15 more goals than Mrazek, just based on average save%. Maybe those 15 goals are meaningless and come on nights the Wings score 6. Maybe they are spread out over 15 games though. One dagger each night.

Its difficult to compare 2 goalies who have played such a drastically different # of games.

Especially when Mrazek never started consecutive games for the Wings. He also only played in 10 games, winning only 2. One against the lowly Oilers who had only won 3 games at that point, and another vs St. Louis on the last game of the season when both teams were playing for nothing and resting players.

If you look at Gustavsson's first 10 game played last season you get a wildly misleading stat line that doesn't match his overall body of work.

Record 7-1-1
G.A.A - 2.07
Sv% - .924

I think if Mrazek had played all of Gustavsson's games you'd find his great numbers coming back to earth just like Gustavsson's early numbers did.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

If you have higher expectations of backups... why in the hell are you stumping for Thomas McCollum?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Coreau belongs in the echl for now, Flashy. I thought that was you that even said that. McCollum as the starter for a couple years in the A is not blocking anybody's path. We dont have anybody else really. Paterson will be a rookie. Coreau played on the walleye.

Why would you start a free agent for your AHL franchise to demote a signed player to the ECHL?

Why would you start a free agent in order to make a signed player the back-up?

And why would you bother using one of your 50 contracts in order to add a goalie that you've already concluded isn't going to make the NHL.

McCollum got a chance to resurrect his career last year as the back-up to Mrazek and did as well as could be expected. If he can't get a contract out of that with an NHL team then he has no business in the AHL anymore. The whole point of the AHL is to develop players for your NHL team, McCollum is never going to make the Red Wings so what is the point of signing him to a 2 way contract?

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

So you'd say backup goalie is as big a concern as our defense?

I'd disagree, but to each his own, I guess. That's why we have this message board here to debate that kind of stuff.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
Why would you start a free agent for your AHL franchise to demote a signed player to the ECHL?

Why would you start a free agent in order to make a signed player the back-up?

And why would you bother using one of your 50 contracts in order to add a goalie that you've already concluded isn't going to make the NHL.

McCollum got a chance to resurrect his career last year as the back-up to Mrazek and did as well as could be expected. If he can't get a contract out of that with an NHL team then he has no business in the AHL anymore. The whole point of the AHL is to develop players for your NHL team, McCollum is never going to make the Red Wings so what is the point of signing him to a 2 way contract?

1. Because thats where Coreau belongs at this stage of his dev
2. Huh?
3. Because the Wings have no goalie depth. A 24 yo wouldve fit in.
4. He has plenty of business in the AHL. Howard was on the Griffs until 26 or 27.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014
You know, before last year, I wouldve said McCollum has no shot either. But since Im willing to admit when Im wrong, I can look at last year and change my mind.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Its difficult to compare 2 goalies who have played such a drastically different # of games.

Especially when Mrazek never started consecutive games for the Wings. He also only played in 10 games, winning only 2. One against the lowly Oilers who had only won 3 games at that point, and another vs St. Louis on the last game of the season when both teams were playing for nothing and resting players.

If you look at Gustavsson's first 10 game played last season you get a wildly misleading stat line that doesn't match his overall body of work.

Record 7-1-1
G.A.A - 2.07
Sv% - .924

I think if Mrazek had played all of Gustavsson's games you'd find his great numbers coming back to earth just like Gustavsson's early numbers did.

This. I don't get how you pick Gus being back-up as a big problem, when we've much bigger ones to face.

Coffee Time

Jun 16, 2014

So Mrazek and Gustavsson are the same player now? Gus had 4 years of numbers that could tell you .924 was not likely sustainable for him. I said as much when it was happening. I didnt want to bring this up about Gus's last season but oh well.

Yeah his most recent games are abysmal, I know that. Went from 924 to 907 over 15 games

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Well, this has been thoroughly covered at this point, yeah? At some point, we're all just repeating ourselves. So let's put it out there.... lay down your predictions for Gustavsson. I'll go first....

22 games
10-7-3 record
2.70 GAA
.910 SV%
Hurt for a couple stretches throughout the season, but doesn't sink like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
You know, before last year, I wouldve said McCollum has no shot either. But since Im willing to admit when Im wrong, I can look at last year and change my mind.

Are you wrong? Because I think you're wrong if you go out on that limb based on the fact that he had one good year, when you know as well as I do we have several years of prior data that shows that he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad