Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Miller makes the most of his skills and always gives his all. Great bottom line guy.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You hit on it, cheaper/untapped potential, and can grow into something better, better wheels as well. I don't hate Miller, I just wish it was for 1yr for the reasons I stated previously

Yeah, but that is what we think every player will turn out to be. It seems like with prospects every guy will be a top 6 guy and or a top 4 defensemen. Sometimes prospects are still a success if they're a solid 3rd or 4th liner. I don't think Ferraro will ever be that much better than Miller.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, but that is what we think every player will turn out to be. It seems like with prospects every guy will be a top 6 guy and or a top 4 defensemen. Sometimes prospects are still a success if they're a solid 3rd or 4th liner. I don't think Ferraro will ever be that much better than Miller.

A great pk guy is worth his weight in gold. Keeps your top guys like Datsyuk rested. Plus, with Miller, he can actually pot a few goals. There are times I wish it was Miller doing the Abby/Dats experiment.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Great! I've always liked Miller. Has good ability to forecheck, is a solid hustle player, has a ton of heart and gives it his all. Just an all around good bottom 6 player with fantastic pk skills.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Now to resign Flip and Cleary and then we can BBTB.

Byebye Tatar!

Lineup next year:

Cleary-Dats-Abdelkader
Franzen-Zetts-Brunner
Sammy-Helm-Bert
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronner-Ericsson
Quincey-Cola
Dekeyser-Smith
Kindl

BLECH

After one resigning you think you know the entire lineup. Cute.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A great pk guy is worth his weight in gold. Keeps your top guys like Datsyuk rested. Plus, with Miller, he can actually pot a few goals. There are times I wish it was Miller doing the Abby/Dats experiment.

Miller isn't big enough to play that role. Miller is fine on the fourth line but with the roster crunch and a three year deal this bugs me a little. Do love his effort though, night in and night out he brings everything he can, or as Babcock calls it an everydayer. That really isn't up for debate, but think we will regret the term like we do on Eaves. I know injuries played a role, but these guys aren't Draper or Maltby, they just don't deserve the terms they are getting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Miller isn't big enough to play that role. Miller is fine on the fourth line but with the roster crunch and a three year deal this bugs me a little. Do love his effort though, night in and night out he brings everything he can, or as Babcock calls it an everydayer. That really isn't up for debate, but think we will regret the term like we do on Eaves. I know injuries played a role, but these guys aren't Draper or Maltby, they just don't deserve the terms they are getting.

3 years, for players prime years (29,30,31-year-old). Then comes a prospect and pushes him out. I really don't see a problem. More debatable was a 3-year contract for 37-year old Draper.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I guess, why are we preferring Ferraro over Miller? I'm assuming it's because of the untapped 'potential' and the chance he becomes better? Or because he's cheaper? Or because we like having prospects have those roles instead of established guys? Basically, we want someone to be as good as Miller is in his role, why not Miller?

What do you have against Ferraro?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What do you have against Ferraro?

Nothing, I just remember for the last few seasons people thought he was a bust because of injuries and underperforming. I just think people expect too much out of prospects sometimes and undervalue players who are currently here. I believe the grass is greener mentality makes certain players underrated.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well Kenny, what's the plan now? This one threw me for a loop.

Before Free Agency:
1. Re-signs Miller for 1.35 million.
2. Re-signs Brunner for 3.0 million.

3. Buys out Mikael Samuelsson's 3.0 million contract for 2.0 million paycheck.

4. Will let Filppula walk, or makes maybe a Hudler-style lowball offer that Valtteri declines.
5. Will let White walk without any offers.

After Free agency:
6. Tries to sign UFA Nathan Horton or Jarome Iginla as a main target.
7. If no Horton/Iginla, tries to sign UFA David Clarkson.
8. If no Horton/Iginla/Clarkson, tries to sign UFA Bryan Bickell.
9. If no Horton/Iginla/Clarkson/Bickell, tries to sign UFA Dustin Penner.
10. If he doesn't get any of these guys, Holland tries to explore the UFA market of compliance buyout guys. Main target is a big-sized Winger.

11. If he gets one big sized Winger, the team is set. If he doesn't, he'll sign Dan Cleary for 1.5M as a backup plan.

12. Re-signs RFA Jakub Kindl for 2.25 million
13. Re-signs RFA Brendan Smith for 1.75 million
14. Re-signs RFA Gustav Nyquist for 1.25 million
15. Re-signs RFA Joakim Andersson for 1.0 million

16. Trades/waives one forward (probably Emmerton) before the season start, if all guys are healthy.
17. Waives Lashoff before the season start, if all defencemen are healthy.

Nyquist - Zetterberg - UFA(Horton/Iginla/Clarkson/Bickell/Penner)
Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Helm - Abdelkader
Tatar - Andersson - Miller/Eaves/Tootoo
(Emmerton)

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
DeKeyser - Kindl
(Colaiacovo)
(Lashoff)

Howard
Gustavsson

This roster has 5.5 million of capspace with these figures, after Emmerton and Lashoff are traded/waived with 22 roster guys. That space and remaining roster spot of 23 maximum could be used for that UFA forward.

You could have more space if you trade Colaiacovo, but that's not needed. Any UFA at free market isn't worth more than that Red Wings 5.5 million cap space is.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Good signing, I'm a fan of this. And not a fan of people who aren't a fan of this :)

I agree.

Another middle finger to the prospects in Grand Rapids by a GM who is too afraid to cut ties. I am not talking guys like Tatar, but guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, where are they going to play in 2014-2015? If this was a 1yr stop gap deal to bridge between guys like Ferraro and Sheahan coming up here then I'd be ok with it, but 3 yrs?

Ferraro and Sheahan have proved NOTHING at the NHL level.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
good signing and the right move anybody who doesn't like this signing, i dunno what their problem is. if cleary is re-signed, complain about that if you want. if they don't buy out sammy or bert, complain about that if you want, but the bottom line is that drew miller is a very good bottom 6 player and penalty killer. im well pleased.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Todays game is all about Defense... Brunner can't play defense, can't forecheck, can't take or make a hit.. he's just terrible in my eyes.

Last time I checked, you have to score goals to win.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I agree.

Ferraro and Sheahan have proved NOTHING at the NHL level.

:shakehead Explain how you prove something when you're stuck in the AHL? If they were given the chance and stained the sheets, sure I would agree but it seems that every prospect that played this year has outplayed the veterans they replaced. Isn't that the way its supposed to work? Play the younger, cheaper guy and move out the veteran? Isn't that re-building on the fly? Or is re-building on the fly where re-treads play until their body literally breaks down, ala Cleary, yet still get's re-signed. What do does playing for the Red Wings and an appointmen on the Supreme Court have in common? Both are jobs for life.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Quick, somebody get this info to the Penguins!

They did lose because they stopped scoring goals. That is the problem good defensive teams always play defense, good offensive teams can go silent. The Pens just need better balance and a system in place, not that I am rooting for them to figure that out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They did lose because they stopped scoring goals. That is the problem good defensive teams always play defense, good offensive teams can go silent. The Pens just need better balance and a system in place, not that I am rooting for them to figure that out.

Couldn't resist kicking them while they are down one last time.;)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
some people are really overrating Miller's PK abilities

don't get me wrong i'm not saying he isn't good at it but some words i've seen used to describe his PK abilities today: "great" "fantastic" "amazing"

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
This signing is fine. Good role player for a good price.

The folks that are making assumptions about how this impacts our young players are jumping the gun. We have no idea what Holland's plans are for Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Tootoo. For all we know, they'll be gone. Just sit back and relax; there will be plenty of time for outrage and hand wringing come July 5th. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad