Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I just don't understand this move. For a roster that has slowly seen its scoring ability dwindle since 2009, I'd expect signing bottom sixers to be the last on Holland's list. I can't get a read on what he wants to do... Does this mean that Tootoo or Abdelkader are on the trade list? Or is he simply not planning on going shopping during FA? Sure, the Bickells and the Hortons are going to get ridiculous payments, but guys like Stalberg and Jagr intrigue me.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I just don't understand this move. For a roster that has slowly seen its scoring ability dwindle since 2009, I'd expect signing bottom sixers to be the last on Holland's list. I can't get a read on what he wants to do... Does this mean that Tootoo or Abdelkader are on the trade list? Or is he simply not planning on going shopping during FA? Sure, the Bickells and the Hortons are going to get ridiculous payments, but guys like Stalberg and Jagr intrigue me.

This move doesn't impact any of that though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Miller's hit is 2% of the cap next season. He makes up over 4% of a 23 man roster.

I don't think anyone would care about the Miller signing in a vacuum. A little high,but a decent enough player. The problem is that Holland has a mediocre recent history of roster management. He has forced guys into GR that were better than guys playing in Detroit, he used a first to acquire a guy he was forced to waive because he kept too many vet D around, and despite facing a bit of a numbers crunch with just re-signing a few RFA and Brunner, he adds Miller to the mix.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Glad to have Drew back in the fold even though i would'nt have given him more then $1.0m a year at the most $1.35m is just to much imo.

Just some perspective, 350k is 0.5% of the cap.

Also I think a fair comparable is Adam Burish, another bottom line 20ish point guy, and he received 1.85 over 4 years in free agency.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
$1.35MM for a good PK guy...alright.
3 years...alright I guess.
Not thrilled though - we have a lot of 4th liners. Depth plus, young guys minus.

Thoroughly average deal.

Last edited:

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I don't get why they want to keep him off the market? are they worried another team is going to pay 1.5 million per year for his marginal production?

Someone would throw $1.75MM at him, which is a lot more. $1.35MM is overpaying by about $100k at most. Pretty much all NHL fourth liners are going to make more than $1MM nowadays. 3 years is right in line as well.

Like Miller, just a lot of 4th liners. Ideally we would just waive a couple of them at training camp to ensure that Tatar has a spot. I don't think anyone can really argue with the money, or that Miller isn't a solid 4th liner - it's just the roster spot.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
The quotes in the paper confirmed exactly what I though... Millsy didn't want to go anywhere, stay local etc. Again the years just don't make sense, it's not like he's a guy who could blow up and we say thank god he's locked in for a couple more years at his salary ... and it may be petty but he doesn't deserve over 1 million dollars. Just shows the only one Kenny negociates against is himself. Just a precursor to whats likely to be a disaster of an offseason.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Meh signing for me. He plays a lot of PK but the wings PK isnt great and 3 years is a while. He grew on me this year though so its not so bad.

But people saying he isnt taking a spot from anyone I think are kidding themselves. Ferraro is probably the best PKer in the entire AHL and just had a great playoff and scored 20 something goals. Since the wings PK hasnt been great maybe they should give him a spot instead of bringing back one of the guys who made it mediocre.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ferraro is probably the best PKer in the entire AHL and just had a great playoff and scored 20 something goals. Since the wings PK hasnt been great maybe they should give him a spot instead of bringing back one of the guys who made it mediocre.

That's why Eaves makes room for Ferraro after next season. Don't try to make problem from nothing when there isn't. Ferraro is not ready yet.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
That's why Eaves makes room for Ferraro after next season. Don't try to make problem from nothing when there isn't. Ferraro is not ready yet.

Wings are re-building, they would benefit more if Ferraro already starts playing in the NHL next season, learn the system, the PK etc so he can be productive in the 14/15 season. If he hasn't sniffed the NHL and he starts on the team in 14/15 there will be a lot more issues than if he starts this season.

Yes there will be growing pains and his mistakes would probably lead to a few goals against, but who cares? It's about getting the youngens ready sooner, and in the long run this will be more succesful than letting them rot ("over ripe") in the minors.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Wings are re-building, they would benefit more if Ferraro already starts playing in the NHL next season, learn the system, the PK etc so he can be productive in the 14/15 season. If he hasn't sniffed the NHL and he starts on the team in 14/15 there will be a lot more issues than if he starts this season.

Yes there will be growing pains and his mistakes would probably lead to a few goals against, but who cares? It's about getting the youngens ready sooner, and in the long run this will be more succesful than letting them rot ("over ripe") in the minors.

We just experienced this with Smith in particular too.

Aug 6, 2012

Exactly the problem with Smith.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, but Ferraro wouldn't be playing 20+ minutes in the top 4 when he came in, he'd maybe be playing 8 minutes half the time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Landon's also a young '91, not turning twenty-two until August. He'll be just 22 all of next season. Another year in GR, with a larger role, won't hurt him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad