Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I'm curious what they'll do with Tatar and Nyquist now, I think Nyquist has a fulltime spot without question. Tatar definitely should, but I feel like they might trade him now.

That would be such a terrible mistake... If they trade tatar, I'll officially stop watching the NHL

inb4 "might be worth trading tatar if it means mindfly stop watching NHL"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm curious what they'll do with Tatar and Nyquist now, I think Nyquist has a fulltime spot without question. Tatar definitely should, but I feel like they might trade him now.

Miller signing does not affect for Tatar or Nyquist at all. He will compete against Eaves, Emmerton and Tootoo.

Holland said that he is going to sign overcrowded roster for camp and then cut people. Funny how people already start freaking out about everything. :D Chill out for Christ sakes!

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm curious what they'll do with Tatar and Nyquist now, I think Nyquist has a fulltime spot without question. Tatar definitely should, but I feel like they might trade him now. Besides, I don't see Miller's contract as a road block to Tatar, it's those of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Cleary. Miller doesn't play on the PP.

I'd be ok with that if there was someone that I liked on the block but right now it seems that the likely target is Yandle and his crazy price tag, do not want.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is not bad at all. We don't have a ton of forwards coming up who are going to be top notch PKers. I know we tend to talk about guys like Zetterberg mentoring young guys, but maybe Ferraro can learn from Miller how to be a great NHL PK guy.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Nyquist and Tatar will both have full-time spots next year, irrespective of the Miller signing or of Bert/Sammy/Cleary, I'm not worried.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Miller is also an incurance policy for Darren Helm, if he still has some back problems. Those two have been our best PKrs in recent years.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'm curious what they'll do with Tatar and Nyquist now, I think Nyquist has a fulltime spot without question. Tatar definitely should, but I feel like they might trade him now. Besides, I don't see Miller's contract as a road block to Tatar, it's those of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Cleary. Miller doesn't play on the PP.

I really like Tatar and what he did while he was up this season, but I'm okay moving him if it's part of a package for a legit top 6 forward or top pairing d-man as they have a lot of talented forward prospects on the way up.

But to HAVE to move Tatar in a deal b/c guys like Sammy, Cleary and Bert are in the way and given their respective career stages... that's a waste.

Jul 30, 2005
Holland said that he is going to sign overcrowded roster for camp and then cut people. Funny how people already start freaking out about everything. :D Chill out for Christ sakes!
This is the other thing. The Wings are not married to this contract or any other for the bottom 6. If Ferraro or Sheahan come up and show they're ready to go, then some of the older guys get waived.

What IMO doesn't make a lot of sense is just handing jobs to the younger guys because they're SUPPOSED to be ready. They're either ready and we don't need the vets anymore or they're not ready and don't deserve the spot. Good teams don't just hand spots to prospects.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is not bad at all. We don't have a ton of forwards coming up who are going to be top notch PKers. I know we tend to talk about guys like Zetterberg mentoring young guys, but maybe Ferraro can learn from Miller how to be a great NHL PK guy.

Is Miller really that good of a PKer? I know that this is the conventional wisdom in these parts but he is really only a good PKer compared to the other guys on the roster. I think he lacks the foot speed to be an objectively good PKer.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would have no problem with this signing if Cleary, Bert and Sammy weren't on the team.

Sadly Ken Holland is gonna bring back the garbage which is gonna screw over the kids.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
wasn't really against the idea of bringing him back(I probably would have too personally) but 3 years? :facepalm:

there's a serious disconnect somewhere,Holland goes on and on about how much he likes the prospects then turns around and signs a fringe player like Miller for 3 years

the Wings practice of giving fringe guys too many years is making the roster spot problem worse and worse and is gonna end up losing them some good players

Jul 30, 2005
Is Miller really that good of a PKer? I know that this is the conventional wisdom in these parts but he is really only a good PKer compared to the other guys on the roster. I think he lacks the foot speed to be an objectively good PKer.
Yeah, I should say that he's good in his understanding of how to play the PK. What he lacks is the physical tools, considering he has average speed, strength, and size. He makes up for it with hard work and smart reads. I think that could make him a nice leadership figure for the lower line guys.

I think he's a bit better at it than you admit, though. He's just not one of the very best. He's good.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
wasn't really against the idea of bringing him back(I probably would have too personally) but 3 years? :facepalm:

there's a serious disconnect somewhere,Holland goes on and on about how much he likes the prospects then turns around and signs a fringe player like Miller for 3 years

the Wings practice of giving fringe guys too many years is making the roster spot problem worse and worse and is gonna end up losing them some good players

Like who? The prospects we've 'lost' since the lockout are guys like Quincey, Mursak, Ritola, Ellis. Holland isn't going to waive Tatar, guys. Tatar isn't going to not get a chance, he's not a fringe guy like the others I mentioned.

Detroit Sports*

i like miller don't mind this. want bert, sammy and cleary gone though. also tootoo. if they are all gone im happy.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Like who? The prospects we've 'lost' since the lockout are guys like Quincey, Mursak, Ritola, Ellis. Holland isn't going to waive Tatar, guys. Tatar isn't going to not get a chance, he's not a fringe guy like the others I mentioned.

the Wings prospect pool is much deeper now though and there will be a ton of guys ready in the next few years

I could see the Wings losing someone like Ferarro over this,that's the kind of guy that should replace Miller in the next couple years

but Miller has a 3 year contract

the problem isn't so much bringing Miller back,but why bring a guy like that back for 3 years? why not 1 or 2? all it does is make the roster situation worse down the line

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I am fine with this, as long as it means Cleary and Flip are gone.

It's becoming more and more likely at least, just by counting contracts.

Right now:
Z --> Z
Pavel --> Pavel
Mule --> Mule
Samuelsson --> Samuelsson
Bertuzzi --> Bertuzzi
Abdelkader --> Abdelkader
Helm --> Helm
Miller --> Miller
Tootoo --> Tootoo
Eaves --> Eaves
Emmerton --> Emmerton
Fil --> ?
Brunner --> ?
Cleary --> ?
Nyquist --> ?
Andersson --> ?

The likely scenario in this is to re-sign Gus, Andy and Nose, let Fil and Cleary walk. That brings the number to 14. Tatar will be up because of waivers so that's 15 right there. Either make a trade, exercise a buyout or waive Emmerton.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
the Wings prospect pool is much deeper now though and there will be a ton of guys ready in the next few years

I could see the Wings losing someone like Ferarro over this,that's the kind of guy that should replace Miller in the next couple years

but Miller has a 3 year contract

the problem isn't so much bringing Miller back,but why bring a guy like that back for 3 years? why not 1 or 2? all it does is make the roster situation worse down the line

I think because Miller has earned the stability by being a good player for the Wings. If Ferraro shows he can take Miller's spot in a year or two, Miller can be moved easily. I know Holland never trades but it's impossible to look at these things in any different light. If these players could come in and do the jobs of veterans I don't think any team would ever worry about losing guys to FA. But Ferraro taking over Miller's job is just a nice idea at this point, neither he nor Sheahan has shown any real NHL ability yet. They have time to prove it though.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think because Miller has earned the stability by being a good player for the Wings. If Ferraro shows he can take Miller's spot in a year or two, Miller can be moved easily. I know Holland never trades but it's impossible to look at these things in any different light. If these players could come in and do the jobs of veterans I don't think any team would ever worry about losing guys to FA. But Ferraro taking over Miller's job is just a nice idea at this point, neither he nor Sheahan has shown any real NHL ability yet. They have time to prove it though.

let's just say i'll believe it when I see it

at this point i'll be pretty surprised if Ferraro isn't better at Miller's job than Miller is within 3 years and i'm not at all confident that Holland will get rid of Miller if that proves to be the case

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

at this point i'll be pretty surprised if Ferraro isn't better at Miller's job than Miller is within 3 years and i'm not at all confident that Holland will get rid of Miller if that proves to be the case

Ferraro will push Eaves out of the roster after next season. Miller has nothing to do with this.

It will be someone like Tvrdon who'll push Miller out after this 3-year contract. Or some other defensive line prospect.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I hope so, but he has a way to go.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like Miller but the only way I like this signing is if it means for sure that Cleary is gone and/or Sammy is bought out.

Exactly what I came to say. This signing is only good if some other players are let go. 1.35 is cheap enough where I don't really care about the money, just the roster spot. He's worth that though. We all know what he brings. Solid PK, chips in with some timely goals, good defensively. He doesn't really make too many mistakes.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I hope so, but he has a way to go.

I don't think Kenny ever banks on prospects to pan out, probably the major difference from our speculations in regards to the future. Ferraro, Sheahan while good are no Tatars or Nyquists. They'll have to fight hard another year for a one-way contract, or hope for a fluke chance to prove themselves like Andersson did.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I like Miller a lot...but this worries me for some reason. Just get the feeling that this is the start of several moves that will remind us all a lot of the Samuelson signing last year.

I also really want to see Filppula back with the Wings next year, but we have to make some sort of moves and our roster is looking awfully crowded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad