Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Now to resign Flip and Cleary and then we can BBTB.

Byebye Tatar!

Lineup next year:

Cleary-Dats-Abdelkader
Franzen-Zetts-Brunner
Sammy-Helm-Bert
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronner-Ericsson
Quincey-Cola
Dekeyser-Smith
Kindl

BLECH

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I like Miller. Glad we brought him back.

Cleary on the other hand.....

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
Good signing, I'm a fan of this. And not a fan of people who aren't a fan of this :)

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Another middle finger to the prospects in Grand Rapids by a GM who is too afraid to cut ties. I am not talking guys like Tatar, but guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, where are they going to play in 2014-2015? If this was a 1yr stop gap deal to bridge between guys like Ferraro and Sheahan coming up here then I'd be ok with it, but 3 yrs?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I don't hate it, 1.35M isn't that bad for Miller. In the playoffs he showed why he's so important to us, leading us in PK TOI, & he also has some versatility in that he can move up the lineup if there are injuries.

With Filp leaving all but assured we have the extra cap space so why not overpay by 200k to keep someone that's vital to our bottom 6.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Now to resign Flip and Cleary and then we can BBTB.

Byebye Tatar!

Lineup next year:

Cleary-Dats-Abdelkader
Franzen-Zetts-Brunner
Sammy-Helm-Bert
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronner-Ericsson
Quincey-Cola
Dekeyser-Smith
Kindl

BLECH

And Nyquist/Tatar will only play during injuries and when Tootoo is scratched?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Another middle finger to the prospects in Grand Rapids by a GM who is too afraid to cut ties. I am not talking guys like Tatar, but guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, where are they going to play in 2014-2015? If this was a 1yr stop gap deal to bridge between guys like Ferraro and Sheahan coming up here then I'd be ok with it, but 3 yrs?

The Wings don't owe Ferraro and Sheahan anything, neither have shown they're ready to carry the load that a Miller does. They'll both have opportunities to impress, it's not like Emmerton or Tootoo are staples and it's not like Samuelsson and Bertuzzi won't be gone after next season if not before.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The Wings need somebody to PK, may as well be a vet like Miller. About on par with the 3 yr/$1.3M deal that Paille got from Boston before this season, although Paille's the better player in IMO.

Now that Miller's locked up, I'd like to see them move on from Eaves and get one of the young defensive forwards like Ferraro into the mix next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have a problem with three fourth line wingers all making over 1 million dollars, not really necessary and one will have to be scratched all the time. Also if Miller is so vital to the PK how come it has sucked for virtually his entire time here?

I like Miller as a player, but don't love this move, we have a roster crunch, if they are moving people out fine, but I doubt that is what they are doing.

By the way even without Cleary Miller is a guy that bumps up the lineup for Babcock. He likes him, will be interesting to see him become a hunted guy if/when someone goes down in the top 6 and he comes up the lineup instead of Tatar. Keep in mind that was Babcock's first course of action when Filppula went down in game 7 took him watching it fail for well over a period and needing a goal in an elimination game to give Gus that spot.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007

Lol, won't someone think of the prospects!? (the completely unproven, possibly never-ready-for-the-NHL prospects)

crashman

You've gotta be ****ing kidding me

Not this **** again :(

Your displeasure makes this all the sweeter.

I'm a huge fan of Miller, happy to see him stick around!

We really need to get rid of some of these other bottom 6 players though. Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves...someone has to go!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think out of the players that are expendable, Miller isn't neither the top. It's just that he was a UFA so it made it 'easier' to let him go.

I agree with that but I want to know what happens with Eaves and Emmerton first. Miller has been a top9 forward minutes-wise for Babcock and those other guys haven't. The thing is they also have deals for another year. Emmerton is always a waiver suspect though, at least for me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Why try to make a problem of something that isn't a problem? There is a clear plan:

Bertuzzi --> Sheahan (big body swap)
Eaves --> Ferraro (PK guy swap)

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Your displeasure makes this all the sweeter.

I'm a huge fan of Miller, happy to see him stick around!

We really need to get rid of some of these other bottom 6 players though. Tootoo, Emmerton, Eaves...someone has to go!

You do know that this makes it tougher even for potential top6ers like Tatar to take a spot, right? and also it's a 3 year deal, not 1 year... which is the worst part of it, since detroit never trades nor waive players...so miller will be here atleast 3 more years.. that' ********

These are the deals that kills the wings, they MUST let the skilled youth come in and GROW.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm curious what they'll do with Tatar and Nyquist now, I think Nyquist has a fulltime spot without question. Tatar definitely should, but I feel like they might trade him now. Besides, I don't see Miller's contract as a road block to Tatar, it's those of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Cleary. Miller doesn't play on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad