Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Couldn't resist kicking them while they are down one last time.;)

I will always kick the Penguins when they are down. :laugh:

Amazing what one series plus a couple guys you don't like will do for your feelings on a team. Remember when I was growing up Mario was my favorite non-Wings player to watch and used to basically pull for the Pens second. Oh how times have changed.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Slight overpayment, but it's fine. I like Miller for what he is, but I don't see him necessary with all the Forwards we have but it's whatever.

Hopefully this seals Sammy's (and Cleary's) fate. If it does then that alone makes it worth it.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I don't get why they want to keep him off the market? are they worried another team is going to pay 1.5 million per year for his marginal production?

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Don't mind the signing one bit. Millsie is one of our best PKers and he needed to be brought back at a price like this.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
its a good deal

now if we also resign cleary and dont buyout sammy and teh are forced to trade tatar for a 3rd rd draft pick, well then fans can be pissed

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is the other thing. The Wings are not married to this contract or any other for the bottom 6. If Ferraro or Sheahan come up and show they're ready to go, then some of the older guys get waived.

What IMO doesn't make a lot of sense is just handing jobs to the younger guys because they're SUPPOSED to be ready. They're either ready and we don't need the vets anymore or they're not ready and don't deserve the spot. Good teams don't just hand spots to prospects.

Tatar played 17 games for us this year, the majority of which he outplayed many guys on the roster. He got demoted.

Smith outplayed vets in training camp two years ago. He was sent to GR.

Nyquist outplayed vets each of the past two camps, and he was sent to GR each season.

Someone might get a chance to earn a spot as an injury replacement, like Lashoff apparently has, but the idea of players earning a spot out of camp before they are out of waiver options has become a bit far fetched.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Why 3 years?

I know you guys hate this, but...

Drew Miller - 8 points in 44 games
Tomas Tatar - 7 points in 18 games.

What are we really accomplishing with this?

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I like Millsy but why we need to commit to 3 years is beyond me...really don't think he would want to leave and don't know what kind of interest he would draw....Holland had to outbid himself though.

we like our team*

miller's a good 4th liner and a solid pker. he was great in the playoffs. he probably won't be that hard to trade with his contract if they ever need to. or they could just waive him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't love this deal, don't hate this deal. Wish it was 2 years instead of 3, and maybe 1 million per. But it's not really a big deal.

I actually like Miller as a player for what he brings on the PK, I think the rest of his game is pretty vanilla though. Don't think he needs to be upseeded by a prospect like others seem to think, if a prospect is inserted it should be for someone like Emmerton. Even Eaves was playing good hockey by the end of last year too.

If/when Cleary gets re-signed I will be beside myself. Outside of the playoffs he had a terrible year and his body breaks down more and more every year.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Don't get why this is considered a good signing with the amount of forwards we have even with Helm out. Sure he is a solid PKer hut we have plenty if them in our bottom-six already in Emmerton, Andersson, Eaves and Helm not to mention Pavs, Z and Mule. I like Millsy but this signing just seems rushed, especially being three years.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
1.4 million per year for 3 years for a PKer and 4th liner is too much. The commitment to years is worse than the salary, but it is not a great deal. Look at Tootoo, Bertuzzi and Sammy - together they make just shy of 7 million, which is a LOT for 3 guys who will never play in the same game unless some sort of catastrophe happens (I am saying that at least one will be a healthy scratch in any given game).

I know Holland felt really bad last year after Parise and Suter came out of the closet and moved to Minnesota together to live out their dreams free from expectation, success and national media - but he really went in panic mode and it is coming back to bite the team in the behind now. This deal looks like more of the same.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Good signing. I think Miller is important to our bottom six and PK. 2 years would have been better. Can't complain though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar played 17 games for us this year, the majority of which he outplayed many guys on the roster. He got demoted.

Smith outplayed vets in training camp two years ago. He was sent to GR.

Nyquist outplayed vets each of the past two camps, and he was sent to GR each season.

Someone might get a chance to earn a spot as an injury replacement, like Lashoff apparently has, but the idea of players earning a spot out of camp before they are out of waiver options has become a bit far fetched.

And it's a shame. Nyquist spent far too much time in GR. Same could be said for Smith.

Detroit needs to get with the times.

Roster spots should be based on merit. Not Reputation/experience.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
And it's a shame. Nyquist spent far too much time in GR. Same could be said for Smith.

Detroit needs to get with the times.

Roster spots should be based on merit. Not Reputation/experience.
Roster spots should also be based on skillset. Miller has a grinder's skillset, so he should play on a grinding line. Tatar/Nyquist have scorer's skillsets, so they should play on a scoring line.

Miller doesn't take a spot away from either of those two.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Roster spots should also be based on skillset. Miller has a grinder's skillset, so he should play on a grinding line. Tatar/Nyquist have scorer's skillsets, so they should play on a scoring line.

Miller doesn't take a spot away from either of those two.

Sorry, my post wasn't supposed to be comparing these players to Miller. That was not my intention.

I was trying to say that if these guys come to camp and significantly outperform veterans, and were higher draft picks and have high-end skill sets, that we should make room for them on the team. However the best way that ends up being. Smith should have had a spot out of camp a year before he was a roster player. Nyquist should have had to spend significantly less time in the AHL before he was a regular roster player. In my opinion. Especially Nyquist since he had the skill set to make an impact on the Red Wings earlier than he did.

Wasn't trying to start a Tatar vs Miller argument, which it seems like a lot of other people are trying to do.

Jul 30, 2005
Sorry, my post wasn't supposed to be comparing these players to Miller. That was not my intention.

I was trying to say that if these guys come to camp and significantly outperform veterans, and were higher draft picks and have high-end skill sets, that we should make room for them on the team. However the best way that ends up being. Smith should have had a spot out of camp a year before he was a roster player. Nyquist should have had to spend significantly less time in the AHL before he was a regular roster player. In my opinion. Especially Nyquist since he had the skill set to make an impact on the Red Wings earlier than he did.

Wasn't trying to start a Tatar vs Miller argument, which it seems like a lot of other people are trying to do.
Ah, fair enough. I agree completely.

Jul 30, 2005
Really, I think the way to interpret this signing is to think of it as a process of elimination by which you get down to your roster for next season.

Who gets cut?

Tatar
Eaves
Miller
Emmerton
Tootoo
Bertuzzi
Samuelsson

What this signing says is: probably not Miller. My interpretation of this whole thing is that Bertuzzi and Samuelsson are both against the wall to prove that they can be a noticeable upgrade on guys like Tatar and Eaves. If they can't score better than Tatar or check better than Eaves at camp, then there's no use for them and they'll be bought out.

Another battle IMO will be Tootoo vs Eaves. Tootoo has to show he can do more than board guys and fight, and Eaves has to show that his hockey ability is more valuable than the toughness and energy Tootoo brings.

Emmerton doesn't have to compete so much as he has to pray that Helm isn't ready to go. If Helm is 100%, then I could see Emmerton traded/waived because he's simply not as good as either of Helm or Andersson. But I'd see him as the last guy to go, because center depth. I suppose it also depends on how Jarnkrok and Sheahan do in camp.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Emmerton is a poor center, though. He isn't bad defensively, but he's not great, and he doesn't even break even on draws. If we need a center, I'd consider giving Glendening a look now rather than later.

I think we'll see the IR/LTIR abused a bit before we cut anyone. Bert isn't playing well? Must be his back. Sammy's having a hard time? well, maybe that pectoral muscle hasn't healed right. If everyone is healthy and playing well, I think Emmerton is the first cut, followed by Eaves.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Really, I think the way to interpret this signing is to think of it as a process of elimination by which you get down to your roster for next season.

Who gets cut?

Tatar
Eaves
Miller
Emmerton
Tootoo
Bertuzzi
Samuelsson

What this signing says is: probably not Miller. My interpretation of this whole thing is that Bertuzzi and Samuelsson are both against the wall to prove that they can be a noticeable upgrade on guys like Tatar and Eaves. If they can't score better than Tatar or check better than Eaves at camp, then there's no use for them and they'll be bought out.

Another battle IMO will be Tootoo vs Eaves. Tootoo has to show he can do more than board guys and fight, and Eaves has to show that his hockey ability is more valuable than the toughness and energy Tootoo brings.

Emmerton doesn't have to compete so much as he has to pray that Helm isn't ready to go. If Helm is 100%, then I could see Emmerton traded/waived because he's simply not as good as either of Helm or Andersson. But I'd see him as the last guy to go, because center depth. I suppose it also depends on how Jarnkrok and Sheahan do in camp.

can't buy them out at camp,has to be sometime between 48 hours after the SCF ends and July 4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad