Confirmed with Link: Detroit re-signs Drew Miller 3 years 1.35m per year

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I like Miller a lot...but this worries me for some reason. Just get the feeling that this is the start of several moves that will remind us all a lot of the Samuelson signing last year.

I also really want to see Filppula back with the Wings next year, but we have to make some sort of moves and our roster is looking awfully crowded

Samuelsson was a member of an other team and he was coming off a ''28 point in 48 games'' season. He's not being brought in for the points, but for the PK, for which he's filled in perfectly.

Samuelsson, on the other hand, was brought in for some secondary scoring and failed miserably to provide, in part due to injuries. Hopefully, he'll be the one bought out this summer.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Now to resign Flip and Cleary and then we can BBTB.

Byebye Tatar!

Lineup next year:

Cleary-Dats-Abdelkader
Franzen-Zetts-Brunner
Sammy-Helm-Bert
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronner-Ericsson
Quincey-Cola
Dekeyser-Smith
Kindl

BLECH

It will look like this. Prepare yourself.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Another middle finger to the prospects in Grand Rapids by a GM who is too afraid to cut ties. I am not talking guys like Tatar, but guys like Ferraro and Sheahan, where are they going to play in 2014-2015? If this was a 1yr stop gap deal to bridge between guys like Ferraro and Sheahan coming up here then I'd be ok with it, but 3 yrs?

and glending, jurco, tootoo...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Prediction:

Daniel Cleary will sign at least a two year extension before next Friday, could be as early as this weekend.

This is not going to be a fun place to be around when that happens. But Holland said he wanted to sign Miller and Cleary and is moving aggressively towards that.

Starting to give up hope that Brunner is doable at this point.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Prediction:

Daniel Cleary will sign at least a two year extension before next Friday, could be as early as this week.

This is not going to be a fun place to be around when that happens. But Holland said he wanted to sign Miller and Cleary and is moving aggressively towards that.

Couldn't care less about Brunner, not my type of player and not very effective in important areas of the game.

Cleary re-signed, you almost have to take that for granted given that Ansar Khan has reported it.. "Red Wings hoping to re-sign veteran forwards Daniel Cleary, Drew Miller" ... Miller is already done, next up cleary...****ing inevitable :cry::cry::cry:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, goalscoring is not important in hockey! :yo:

I think Brunner is becoming pretty underrated, I don't think Tatar or Nyquist will outproduce Brunner that much if at all over the next few years. He had 9 points in the playoffs, as many as Datsyuk and one less than Cleary :)sarcasm:).

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
The Wings don't owe Ferraro and Sheahan anything, neither have shown they're ready to carry the load that a Miller does. They'll both have opportunities to impress, it's not like Emmerton or Tootoo are staples and it's not like Samuelsson and Bertuzzi won't be gone after next season if not before.

No, of course they don't owe them anything. But both guys have shown and done what has been asked of them. What happens when they are out of options and can't be sent down to grand Rapids anymore? Please, don't say Holland will make moves with the roster because he doesn't move anyone.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
This is the other thing. The Wings are not married to this contract or any other for the bottom 6. If Ferraro or Sheahan come up and show they're ready to go, then some of the older guys get waived.

What IMO doesn't make a lot of sense is just handing jobs to the younger guys because they're SUPPOSED to be ready. They're either ready and we don't need the vets anymore or they're not ready and don't deserve the spot. Good teams don't just hand spots to prospects.

That's not going to happen. If a young guy outplays a veteran, but can still be sent to grand Rapids, the veteran stays, the rookie goes. So all this balloon juice about cutting guys and bringing in guys that are the best players is a joke. If you're a re-tread, not only are you guaranteed a spot on the roster but you have a job for life.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Prediction:

Daniel Cleary will sign at least a two year extension before next Friday, could be as early as this weekend.

It is called the Ken Holland 2 for 2 special: two years, two million dollars per year. I think he got the idea from some Applebee's menu.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think because Miller has earned the stability by being a good player for the Wings. If Ferraro shows he can take Miller's spot in a year or two, Miller can be moved easily. I know Holland never trades but it's impossible to look at these things in any different light. If these players could come in and do the jobs of veterans I don't think any team would ever worry about losing guys to FA. But Ferraro taking over Miller's job is just a nice idea at this point, neither he nor Sheahan has shown any real NHL ability yet. They have time to prove it though.

I guess the question would be, what constitutes showing real NHL ability? If you're saying that they haven't shown it because they haven't done it in the NHL, you're right- and it's also impossible for them to do so with no real opportunity.

I kinda wonder if KH asks himself that question as he determines the likely roster heading into a season. If "showing real NHL ability" requires doing it at the NHL level, then pretty much all of our prospects are fighting an uphill battle to have Kenny sign off on replacing guys like Eaves, Cleary and Sammy with younger players.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No, of course they don't owe them anything. But both guys have shown and done what has been asked of them. What happens when they are out of options and can't be sent down to grand Rapids anymore? Please, don't say Holland will make moves with the roster because he doesn't move anyone.

I guess, why are we preferring Ferraro over Miller? I'm assuming it's because of the untapped 'potential' and the chance he becomes better? Or because he's cheaper? Or because we like having prospects have those roles instead of established guys? Basically, we want someone to be as good as Miller is in his role, why not Miller?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Don't hate it, don't mind it but not excited.

He's our best 4th liner. It's good to have him as a backup there if Helm isn't healthy. Someone has to do those pk minutes there.

Eaves will be out soon, so is Emmerton. Doubt this hurt any kids chances.

He may even have some trade value. If not he can be waived, Wings would retain less than half mil in cap space in that case.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If people freak out about this signing... oh boy.. just wait till we re-sign another guy..

He who shall not be named?

1nhl_labor_hockey1.jpg

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Dont really know what to think about Cleary...he was crap in the regular season, but played better in the playoffs. I kinda hope he doesnt get resigned, but will accept it if he do (unless its a long term contract...), and then hope he can have a better season next season.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I guess, why are we preferring Ferraro over Miller? I'm assuming it's because of the untapped 'potential' and the chance he becomes better? Or because he's cheaper? Or because we like having prospects have those roles instead of established guys? Basically, we want someone to be as good as Miller is in his role, why not Miller?

You hit on it, cheaper/untapped potential, and can grow into something better, better wheels as well. I don't hate Miller, I just wish it was for 1yr for the reasons I stated previously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad