NFL: Deshaun Watson sexual assault allegations

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Jesus Freaking Christ!!! :facepalm: Will the stupid ever be gone from this organization? Tua has looked great this pre-season......like a totally different QB then the one we saw last season. The WR's seem to have developed great chemistry with him. Why on earth mess this up now?

Miami should not trade for Watson, Tua with a full training camp and off-season learning the Dolphins system to run is a fresh start.

I don’t know why the Dolphins want Watson..

Reactions: PanthersPens62

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For the most part, QB’s make their biggest progress between seasons 1 and 2. The Dolphins continued pursuit for a guy we can’t say for sure will play (and he shouldn’t play) with this going on tells you how they feel about that with Tua.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
This is pretty gross, especially as Flo likes to preach about the importance of culture so much. Good luck explaining to the players why the team is (or wants) to add a sexual predator to the team.

Also trading Tua would be a mistake, now that he's fully healthy and been able to use the off-season for working out and not rehabbing, his mechanics look so much better and back to how they looked in college.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Why would the Dolphins want Watson with all the legal issues he’s going through? Watson will never be looked upon as a leader, even if he has an NFL career. An important attribute any QB must have to lead a team. He’s the last QB I’d want on my team.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The bizarre thing is the Texans aren't even interested in Tua either. They just want the picks.

Starting to wonder if all the execs and scouts know something about Tua that we don't.

Watson is the last guy I'd want though. Dude is clearly a scumbag at some level and we don't even know if he plays the full season. Trading significant assets for a likely abuser/rapist would definitely where I would draw a line and probably stop watching

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I think it's absolutely 100% insane to trade 3 1sts+ for Watson given his legal turmoil. It's even more insane for Miami of all teams to do so unless they really want to capitalize on their current window and they don't think Tua can be the guy to take them there. I don't know about the latter point; to echo what Blitzkrug said above, perhaps they know something we don't.

I generally don't like the idea of judging a 1st year QB too harshly. The step-up in play from NCAA to NFL is simply massive and QB is the most important position in the game. However, this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league and while rookie f***-ups are forgivable you better as shit be ready to show more than mere flashes in Year 2. If the Dolphins keep Tua but he plays at around the same level that he did last year they'll drop his ass like a hot rock.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The other factor is Tua has looked really good in camp too. Mechanics are a bit more polished and he's seem to have improved decision making quite a bit.

Doesn't seem quite fair to judge the kid when he was thrown into the fire last season after barely doing anything football related for a good year because of the hip injury. I would have traded him for Watson before all of this just because of the fact that's the type of move that comes along once in a generation. After all the accusations? f*** that.

Hopefully Watson rots in prison

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The other factor is Tua has looked really good in camp too. Mechanics are a bit more polished and he's seem to have improved decision making quite a bit.

Doesn't seem quite fair to judge the kid when he was thrown into the fire last season after barely doing anything football related for a good year because of the hip injury. I would have traded him for Watson before all of this just because of the fact that's the type of move that comes along once in a generation. After all the accusations? f*** that.

Hopefully Watson rots in prison

I haven't watched him at all but all of you guys that follow the Dolphins seem to be raving about his progress and I'm inclined to take your collective word for it.

I don't see how the Texans as much leverage as some think. I know Watson is Watson, he's arguably a Top 5 QB in the league signed long-term and with many prime years left (in other words, what >90% of the league is shooting for), but everyone knows 1) that he wants out; 2) that he's a PR detriment/distraction at best and a sexual predator awaiting a possible jail term at worst; and 3) that the Texans are a poorly managed franchise with no clear direction.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Seems like Ross is the one really pushing for this reading between the lines from some beat writers. Guy really is an idiot owner, finally the Dolphins look like they are going somewhere under his terrible ownership and he wants to blow it all up to acquire a sexual predator. Not to mention said sexual predator will require probably 2 or 3 first round picks. I'd rather have a bottom 5 QB for the next 10 years then have 1 year of Watson. Like I said before, just gross.

It's just mind boggling that we literally tanked to get Tua in the first place and then want to turf him after a year. Fully prepared to have Watson come here and get banned by the NFL and Tua goes elsewhere and becomes a top 10 QB. This would be the most Dolphins thing to ever happen.

Reactions: Pestilence

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
As a Dolphins fan, I would be so upset if they actually did a deal like this. These are just reports, so who knows who is right. But if their asking price is 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks, Dolphins would be taking such a big step back. We are one of the youngest teams in the league, and honestly are a good young team, that I expect to make the playoffs this year. You don't build on that by giving away so many early picks. Yes, Watson is a great QB, but with all the legal issues, why take that risk? Also, I'm a fan of Tua. He didn't have a fair first year, especially coming off an injury. Stoked to see what he does this year, we Waddle being added, a full training camp and offseason to work with other players. I wish the Dolphins would just come out and say "We are not pursuing Watson", but I get why they wouldn't say that. If you have a chance to land someone of his caliber, you see if you can get a deal worked out.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Goodell needs to end this and put him on the commissioner’s exempt list or it’s going to hang over the head of the league. If he’s eligible to play, conceptually he should be on the field. But it’s also literally the only reason the list exists to begin with.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Goodell needs to end this and put him on the commissioner’s exempt list or it’s going to hang over the head of the league. If he’s eligible to play, conceptually he should be on the field. But it’s also literally the only reason the list exists to begin with.
I bet the NFL is shocked things haven't progressed faster on the criminal front to force their hand. The Houston police started getting involved months ago. I'm surprised we've heard nothing from the police since then.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I bet the NFL is shocked things haven't progressed faster on the criminal front to force their hand. The Houston police started getting involved months ago. I'm surprised we've heard nothing from the police since then.
The legal process always takes forever. Clearly they’re waiting to be forced to make a move when they really need to be doing it because they can’t just have him not be playing.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The legal process always takes forever. Clearly they’re waiting to be forced to make a move when they really need to be doing it because they can’t just have him not be playing.
I think they're hoping to avoid dealing with him appealing at this stage where the league doesn't have much to go on.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Just a strange situation overall, accusations are quite wild with a lot of tangible evidence, so it seems strange NFL hasn't put him on the exempt list. Will Watson be a healthy scratch for 17 games?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
"Roger Goodell here. Tell you what, the NFL will pay Watson's salary under the table and you sit him. That way, we don't have to face the possibility of legal action from Watson if we suspend him and he is found innocent. Capisce?"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every other week someone tweets that we need to watch the Watson and the Dolphins and nothing ever happens. Probably mostly because it can’t.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I would assume Watson would go straight to the Commissioner’s List but since they didn’t suspend Richard Sherman, who the f*** knows. Just maddening that NFL refuses to take domestic violence abusers and sexual predators seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad