Recalled/Assigned: Dennis Gilbert

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Gilbert should stay. Love his fire, intensity, and mean streak. Hawks need more guys that enjoy dishing it out. He can have Seabs' spot.

The team LOVES him. I guarantee it.
He could still do with some seasoning in Rockford, but it'll be nice to know we have a big stay at home type defender being molded down. As this organization has noticed over the years, those don't grow on trees.

Reactions: Krivo25

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He could still do with some seasoning in Rockford, but it'll be nice to know we have a big stay at home type defender being molded down. As this organization has noticed over the years, those don't grow on trees.

Absolutely. But the Hawks just need more nasty. It is no mistake Gilbert's hits were against guys like Pasta and Hughes the last two games. The best way to knock talented guys off their game is....knocking them off their feet. Hawks need a guy back there that makes the opposition hesitate going into the corners. Gilbert is a passable defenseman, but more than anything, he brings an element this team sorely lacks. Nastiness.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Absolutely. But the Hawks just need more nasty. It is no mistake Gilbert's hits were against guys like Pasta and Hughes the last two games. The best way to knock talented guys off their game is....knocking them off their feet. Hawks need a guy back there that makes the opposition hesitate going into the corners. Gilbert is a passable defenseman, but more than anything, he brings an element this team sorely lacks. Nastiness.
Yeah, I do like the physicality he brings. He could become a good middle pairing guy one day. Someone who is a pain to play against.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I do like the physicality he brings. He could become a good middle pairing guy one day. Someone who is a pain to play against.

Yep. He's not going to wow anyone with his skating, passing, shooting, etc. But, he's good enough at all aspects of the game to be a solid defenseman. Especially given his physicality.

Reactions: d rake and Mrfenn92

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Don't see that, but stranger things have happened. A solid third pairing guy, who brings a good level of physicality and nasty, is where he projects to me.

While I'm happy with Gilbert's play on this call up, he hasn't bypassed 4K in my eyes. Not yet, anyway.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
de Haan and Seabs have been decent as a tandem as well.

As far as I'm concerned Hawks defensive corps often takes the brunt of the criticism when each and every game we can plainly see that it is Hawks defensive team game that is lacking.
I agree, but what is with the system? This team constantly abandons the front of their net. Another example is last night where Seabrook leaves the net to chase someone behind the net. Seabrook has lost more than a step, but he’s not dumb. Why would he do that when the other defender is in the corner? I’m just baffled constantly.

Reactions: coolhand

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree, but what is with the system? This team constantly abandons the front of their net. Another example is last night where Seabrook leaves the net to chase someone behind the net. Seabrook has lost more than a step, but he’s not dumb. Why would he do that when the other defender is in the corner? I’m just baffled constantly.

Do you seriously think it is their system that has guys abandoning the front of the net??? And Seabrook isn't dumb? He cross checked his teammate the other day in front of their net. Lol

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Do you seriously think it is their system that has guys abandoning the front of the net??? And Seabrook isn't dumb? He cross checked his teammate the other day in front of their net. Lol

Actually, it was Gilbert who abandoned his good position to try and get a lick in and help Nylander win the board battle, leaving Seabs to defend 1 on 2. Seabs had a choice: attack the puck carrier or stay in front and leave the puck carrier and let him take the puck to the net ... he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. When he went after the guy with the puck it was Nylander's man who got loose off the boards to score.... meanwhile Nylander and Gilbert were left on the boards covering no one. But sure let's blame Seabs once again.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Actually, it was Gilbert who abandoned his good position to try and get a lick in and help Nylander win the board battle, leaving Seabs to defend 1 on 2. Seabs had a choice: attack the puck carrier or stay in front and leave the puck carrier and let him take the puck to the net ... he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. When he went after the guy with the puck it was Nylander's man who got loose off the boards to score.... meanwhile Nylander and Gilbert were left on the boards covering no one. But sure let's blame Seabs once again.

Lots of things go into goals being scored but don’t excuse Seabrooks bone head decision to leave his position in front of the net to go after a guy who literally can’t score from his position. Even Eddie O Seabrooks #1 fan pointed out he made the wrong decision.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I think the system promotes defensemen to leave goal to chase forwards behind the net even when they are the only defenseman in that position. It expects forwards to cover for them and we see how that has worked out this year.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I think the system promotes defensemen to leave goal to chase forwards behind the net even when they are the only defenseman in that position. It expects forwards to cover for them and we see how that has worked out this year.
I believe that was at the beginning of the year when they were playing a man system. The last couple weeks in particular i can hardly remember anyone just leaving the front of the net open to chase a guy below the goal line.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

All Seabrook had to do was slide down a little to the left of Crawford instead of charging below the goal line.
He would have gotten there in time, unlike his effort to go below the goal line.
That would have cut off the walkout scoring attempt and NOT left the entire 1/4 of the zone as a gaping lane for Krug to get an easy pass.

BTW, that goal had 3 Bruins against 5 Hawks with GIANT open ice.

That cannot happen! Toews or Saad somehow didn't feel that giant lane straight to Crawford!? Either one could have drfited into the area to make it at least a contested pass.
Dumb, just plain dumb.

Reactions: Pez68

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lots of things go into goals being scored but don’t excuse Seabrooks bone head decision to leave his position in front of the net to go after a guy who literally can’t score from his position. Even Eddie O Seabrooks #1 fan pointed out he made the wrong decision.

Watch the play again. As I said, it was 1 on 2 and a split decision had to be made. A 1 on 2 that never should have happened if Gilbert had stayed put and let the play come to him. Just because you repeat it doesn't make it a boneheaded play.

Eddie O couldn't check his suitcase when he played the game. He should stick to offensive analysis - he certainly couldn't play the game without the puck.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
All Seabrook had to do was slide down a little to the left of Crawford instead of charging below the goal line.
He would have gotten there in time, unlike his effort to go below the goal line.
That would have cut off the walkout scoring attempt and NOT left the entire 1/4 of the zone as a gaping lane for Krug to get an easy pass.

BTW, that goal had 3 Bruins against 5 Hawks with GIANT open ice.

That cannot happen! Toews or Saad somehow didn't feel that giant lane straight to Crawford!? Either one could have drfited into the area to make it at least a contested pass.
Dumb, just plain dumb.

In hindsight yes. Toews and Saad were clueless to the danger but what else is new.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Of course Team Defense requires the forwards to help cover and not just watch when d-men leave position inthe skits to go chase..but the Hawks forwards arexroo dumb or too lazy to do it well ...and even when they attempt to check guys they seem not to stick on them very long ....Our forwards are not good in our d-zone and it has been this way forca ling time.
And you are correct...Toews and Saad have been infuriatingly bad in d-zone assignments ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad