Recalled/Assigned: Dennis Gilbert

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Eddie O couldn't check his suitcase when he played the game. He should stick to offensive analysis - he certainly couldn't play the game without the puck.
Very true. Eddie talks a far different game than he played.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
A guy that can play a 6/7 role with cinder blocks for fists has value. I promise you the guys on this team appreciate what he brings.
i really hope it doesn't become the Bhawks of old where fighting was the usual event at every Bhawks game.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Actually, it was Gilbert who abandoned his good position to try and get a lick in and help Nylander win the board battle, leaving Seabs to defend 1 on 2. Seabs had a choice: attack the puck carrier or stay in front and leave the puck carrier and let him take the puck to the net ... he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. When he went after the guy with the puck it was Nylander's man who got loose off the boards to score.... meanwhile Nylander and Gilbert were left on the boards covering no one. But sure let's blame Seabs once again.

This is the absolute worst assessment of that play that could ever exist Bobby.

Nylander was in the corner battling, and it's Gilbert's corner... he's SUPPOSED to go support Nylander. Puck support is a thing... and Nylander and Gilbert were both doing their jobs. That leaves Seabs with one job. Defend the front of the net. Don't leave the front. f***ing stay there. You're taught this at 8 years old. When you're the only one in front because your center is floating around with his head up his ass, and your D partner is battling in the corner, YOU DON'T CHASE BEHIND THE NET. Do you EVER see Keith chase behind the net? No, he stands right on the post, and makes plays from there with his stick, preventing the passes from coming out from behind the goal line

Nylander's man getting loose off the boards doesn't f***ing matter. What is he supposed to do? Just hold him there and take a penalty? :laugh: Seabs is 100% to blame for the goal there. All he has to do is stand there in front like it's his job to do... and that pass never comes out. And he can't even f***ing stand there right. He's that terrible. A buyout of him can't come soon enough. I'll take the damn caphit for the next 5 years just to get rid of his useless ass.

Watch the play again. As I said, it was 1 on 2 and a split decision had to be made. A 1 on 2 that never should have happened if Gilbert had stayed put and let the play come to him. Just because you repeat it doesn't make it a boneheaded play.

Eddie O couldn't check his suitcase when he played the game. He should stick to offensive analysis - he certainly couldn't play the game without the puck.

Except he's right in this instance, but by all means, take a shot at him. If you're the only guy in front of the net defending the house, you don't abandon the house to chase behind the net... Ever. Especially when you're as foot-slow as Seabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This is the absolute worst assessment of that play that could ever exist Bobby.

Nylander was in the corner battling, and it's Gilbert's corner... he's SUPPOSED to go support Nylander. Puck support is a thing... and Nylander and Gilbert were both doing their jobs. That leaves Seabs with one job. Defend the front of the net. Don't leave the front. ****ing stay there. You're taught this at 8 years old. When you're the only one in front because your center is floating around with his head up his ass, and your D partner is battling in the corner, YOU DON'T CHASE BEHIND THE NET. Do you EVER see Keith chase behind the net? No, he stands right on the post, and makes plays from there with his stick, preventing the passes from coming out from behind the goal line

Nylander's man getting loose off the boards doesn't ****ing matter. What is he supposed to do? Just hold him there and take a penalty? :laugh: Seabs is 100% to blame for the goal there. All he has to do is stand there in front like it's his job to do... and that pass never comes out. And he can't even ****ing stand there right. He's that terrible. A buyout of him can't come soon enough. I'll take the damn caphit for the next 5 years just to get rid of his useless ass.

Except he's right in this instance, but by all means, take a shot at him. If you're the only guy in front of the net defending the house, you don't abandon the house to chase behind the net... Ever. Especially when you're as foot slow as Seabs.

As I've said before, this is so basic that it's my biggest pet peeve. No one can score from behind the net. It's that simple.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
As I've said before, this is so basic that it's my biggest pet peeve. No one can score from behind the net. It's that simple.

I don't get it. I'm blown away that someone who has supposedly been watching hockey for like 40-50 years can continually defend Seabs for this particular mistake. I believe Bobby defended him on the last egregious example of Seabs doing this, also. :facepalm:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
One ops player beats Nylander and Gilbert and comes out of the corner with the puck, Toews and Saad like deers in a headlight are oblivious to their defensive responsibility and poised to fly the zone... which leaves Seabs to defend 2 ops players. No matter how he plays it, it is still 2 against 1. Standing in front and watching the play unfold was not an option. Seabs could have done the big slide as MM pointed out but if he tried that and it failed he's still get crucified around here. It's typical and laughable, that on a play when so much went wrong the entire blame goes to Seabs.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
One ops player beats Nylander and Gilbert and comes out of the corner with the puck, Toews and Saad like deers in a headlight are oblivious to their defensive responsibility and poised to fly the zone... which leaves Seabs to defend 2 ops players. No matter how he plays it, it is still 2 against 1. Standing in front and watching the play unfold was not an option. Seabs could have done the big slide as MM pointed out but if he tried that and it failed he's still get crucified around here. It's typical and laughable, that on a play when so much went wrong the entire blame goes to Seabs.

Yeah, I give up. :laugh:

He's getting the entire blame for two reasons. One, he did something, AGAIN, that you're taught not to do at like 8-10 years old. And two, he was the last line of defense in front of the net, and if he had just stayed there, that goal DOES NOT HAPPEN. Period. A two on one with one guy BEHIND the net doesn't matter. Who gives a flying f***? The guy is BEHIND THE NET. If Seabs stays in position, that guy has to skate around behind the net to the other corner with the puck, and gives time for others to get back into their defensive positions. He's getting 100% of the blame, because you can't blame a guy for a puck battle and 50/50 puck in the corner. You CAN blame Seabs for abandoning the front of the net, AGAIN, and costing the Hawks a goal because of it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i left in the 2nd period after the yotes tied it up.

what i notice was the forward were not coming back to back check. look at the replays and you will see it. esp on the 2nd yotes goal.

so a lone d-man battling a 2 on 1 ..... no matter what, somebody or more screwed up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
i left in the 2nd period after the yotes tied it up.

what i notice was the forward were not coming back to back check. look at the replays and you will see it. esp on the 2nd yotes goal.

so a lone d-man battling a 2 on 1 ..... no matter what, somebody or more screwed up.

This is not the situation. It wasn't a 2 on 1, odd-man rush.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Actually, it was Gilbert who abandoned his good position to try and get a lick in and help Nylander win the board battle, leaving Seabs to defend 1 on 2. Seabs had a choice: attack the puck carrier or stay in front and leave the puck carrier and let him take the puck to the net ... he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. When he went after the guy with the puck it was Nylander's man who got loose off the boards to score.... meanwhile Nylander and Gilbert were left on the boards covering no one. But sure let's blame Seabs once again.

You say this as if he had two choices of equal strategic significance, which is plainly untrue.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You say this as if he had two choices of equal strategic significance, which is plainly untrue.

Right. Let the guy skate uselessly behind the net with the puck, forcing him all the way to the other corner, thus giving your teammates a chance to get back into position... or abandon the front of the net, with no one left there but yourself, and leave your goalie hanging out to dry. If I'm Lehner in that situation, I'm walking up to Seabs in the locker room after the game, and punching him in the face. Game should have never gotten to a shootout.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Right. Let the guy skate uselessly behind the net with the puck, forcing him all the way to the other corner, thus giving your teammates a chance to get back into position... or abandon the front of the net, with no one left there but yourself, and leave your goalie hanging out to dry. If I'm Lehner in that situation, I'm walking up to Seabs in the locker room after the game, and punching him in the face. Game should have never gotten to a shootout.

I don't even understand how this is an argument, tbh. It's one of those truths that should have unanimous consensus. I don't think there is a single coach at any level of hockey who would say chasing behind the net is the better move in that situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF and ChiHawks10

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
The front of the net is the most dangerous spot to score. That’s taught to 10 year olds. The game changes but this strategy will never change.

Plus goaltenders always want their players for 2 on 1’s to take the one without the puck and the goalie will deal with the player with the puck.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I thought the way Gilbert went after Demers after the hit was dumb. Take his number, and fight him later when the game is out of reach, or lay him out with a big hit. It did nothing for the team.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The front of the net is the most dangerous spot to score. That’s taught to 10 year olds. The game changes but this strategy will never change.

Plus goaltenders always want their players for 2 on 1’s to take the one without the puck and the goalie will deal with the player with the puck.

True but in this case the ops player without the puck was in the corner when Seabs had to make his decision.

Look, I'm not saying Seabs isn't accountable at all but it was essentially a 4 player fail on that goal (actually 5 player. I think Lehner looked a tad weak as well). A fail that would have never happened if Gilbert didn't try to get in an ill-advised lick. There are times to get those licks in and this was not one of them.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Same here. But there's sadly many people on Twitter agreeing with him saying what Gilbert did was very dumb and that he should be sent down.
I wouldn't say it was very dumb, and it's dumb to suggest he should get sent down for it. I think the mentality on those plays should change though, it doesn't have to be taken care of right away, and it doesn't do much to help the team play better.

Reactions: LDF

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
We've been so poor at times that I have been enjoying having Gilbert play as I like that he lays some decent hits and drops the mitts.

This is one reason why ice hockey is superior to football (soccer). Its not just goals that get folks cheering.

Gilbert is what he is, a 6/7 D trying to get noticed. Good for him. Compare that to Sikura.....who has done nothing to warrant the amount calls for him playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad