Recalled/Assigned: (Dec. 13) Ryan Poehling Called Back Up to Montreal

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The man who’s watched every game and can clearly see when a guy doesn’t belong in the nhl just like almost every other person watching. Present company excluded, of course.

Almost everybody except 4 posters who disagree with you on the last page......ya, that’s so much “like every other person watching”.......:laugh:

is he ready???.....maybe not fully

should still be developing?....I’d say last nights game went miles towards his development

solid game from him last night.

How is it dumb? what negative outcome is foreseen?

It is pretty much that. When one guy deserves the call up first, he gets called up first. If who you see deserves the 2nd call up gets hurt and isn't available, you look to who deserves the call up next, so you go to the third guy.

It's not like they identify at the start of the year who is first and who is second and so on. They go with what they have as options at the time of the call up and who deserves it.

And with Belzile, Varone, and McCarron out with injuries in Laval, a prospect like Poehling becomes more of an option than he would have had those guys been in the line-up.

And for myself, watching him the whole year in Laval, he has improved a lot in the last month. He earned this call up. It wasn't given.

stop making sense, just get your pitchfork out.

I bet if we called up the entire Rockets roster before Phoeling the complaints would still be the same. We could call up the entire ECHL team and it would still be the same.

Few posters thinking that Poehling being called up was NOT dumb

Reactions: angusyoung

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Almost everybody except 4 posters who disagree with you on the last page......ya, that’s so much “like every other person watching”.......:laugh:

should still be developing?....I’d say last nights game went miles towards his development

Few posters thinking that Poehling being called up was NOT dumb
It wasn't dumb. He's the type of player Julien wanted for that position and he came in and played it well. Now he goes back down and continues his season in Laval. Really simple

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's almost like Bergevin is no longer winning that trade.

Domi started the season well. He pretty much picked up right where he left off. Since then, he is struggling, and its affecting his decision making. It seems to be mostly mental now.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It wasn't dumb. He's the type of player Julien wanted for that position and he came in and played it well. Now he goes back down and continues his season in Laval. Really simple
I’m all for this post!!!!

Poehling buried on the 4th for 50 games straight would be dumb

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012

Yes....he played well last night, but I think it is smart to occasionally call him up to remind Poehling about the speed and intensity of the NHL...he will benefit from more ice time and playing in more varied situations playing under Bouchard in Laval.
He needs to show he can be consistently dominant playing at the AHL level.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I’m very comfortable with Poehling going back to the A......my point is the decision to play him last night was lightyears away from being a “Dumb” decision

Reactions: Hacketts and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m all for this post!!!!

Poehling buried on the 4th for 50 games straight would be dumb

Knowing the Habs, they'll go with the best 12. When Poehling is ready to beat out Weal and Cousins he'll be in the top 12 of a healthy lineup.

But, with Drouin and KK out longer term, there should be a spot on the 4th line for him even with Byron coming back. If Poehling can play like he played last night, he's ahead of Hudon, Barber, Peca, etc...

My hope is that'll play so well that he'll unseat one of Cousins or Weal on the 3rd line next to Suzuki. And then in that role play so well that it's Lehkonen and Cousins that cone out of the top 9 when Drouin and KK come back. But he may not have developed enough yet to be abke to do that.

My hope:

When Byron comes back:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Armia
Poehling Suzuki Cousins
Byron Thompson Weal

When Drouin snd Kk come back:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Poehling Domi Suzuki
Drouin KK Armia
Byron Thompson Lehkonen
Cousins, Weal

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
He played his best game of the year last night. Is this to get him into a game with Laval instead of sitting in the Bigs?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It was night and day compared to his other games on the call up. He seemed so composed last night. The game slowed down a little for him.

But for sure go back to Laval. Get big minutes. Develop.

See you next year all ready.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He played his best game of the year last night. Is this to get him into a game with Laval instead of sitting in the Bigs?

No its because Weal, Thompson, Cousins are future HOF players that cannot be scratched.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think it's because Byron is coming back soon , seems early as they said about 4 weeks from Nov 19th.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
No its because Weal, Thompson, Cousins are future HOF players that cannot be scratched.

I disagree.... it's to give Poehling plenty of ice time, provide an environment with less pressure in order to develop his hockey skills and leadership and to learn to be consistent at playing in a dominant way at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: Frankc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad