Recalled/Assigned: (Dec. 13) Ryan Poehling Called Back Up to Montreal

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Even if the management says they want to develop players, the roster is in such a bad shape that they need those guys. The same reason why KK wasn't sent down to Laval. They NEED those guys now and can't wait for them to develop.
I get that, but it still doesn’t yield good results. You can’t just force a guy to be ready for the nhl. I mean, thank god for Suzuki and Fleury. Who knows where they’d be if those 2 weren’t ready.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I get that, but it still doesn’t yield good results. You can’t just force a guy to be ready for the nhl. I mean, thank god for Suzuki and Fleury. Who knows where they’d be if those 2 weren’t ready.

Who else do you bring up though with the Peca injury? Laval isn't exactly talent ridden.

Reactions: Fixxer

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Players still develop at the NHL level.....because he’s here doesn’t mean he’s not learning. Question is, how fast is he learning and how fragile one’s confidence is.

In aviation, we do SIM training, just came back from it, some people get rattled in the SIM, some excel, you’re still learning but some apply what they learned from their mistakes and for some it’s too much.

Same with the NHL

Only one way to find out if they can cut in the NHL,play!

Triple 7 or refresher? hopefully not in Florida.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Who else do you bring up though with the Peca injury? Laval isn't exactly talent ridden.
A bit off topic but. One thing I liked that Peca said. The media was labeling him as an offensive guy and he told the reporters he was an energy guy, who would work hard in all 3 zones. That is accurate. The guys in Laval can't really be labelled offensive and the talent is thin. Both the Rocket and Habs tried to find "hard workers". Well, it's the first step to be competitive, to be involved and engaged in the play, wanting to make a difference.

Reactions: Habs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Evans or Vejdemo.

It's quite simple, really.

Trying to defend Bergevin's track record in development is like trying to prove the earth is flat. There's no evidence to support it, so you just sound stupid when you do.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Players still develop at the NHL level.....because he’s here doesn’t mean he’s not learning. Question is, how fast is he learning and how fragile one’s confidence is.

In aviation, we do SIM training, just came back from it, some people get rattled in the SIM, some excel, you’re still learning but some apply what they learned from their mistakes and for some it’s too much.

Same with the NHL
I was mostly referring to the ones who said Poehling would benefit from a prolonged time in the AHL. He's out from college and he hasn't played for any long stretch for either Laval or the Habs. I watch hockey, I like when the Habs win but I know they lack high-end talent so I can still enjoy bright things here and there. Bouchard is doing a good job down there. On the other hand, Suzuki didn't need AHL experience, which I was not expecting. So, yeah, you just got to try them and some look better with more structure in the NHL and some need to work their skills in the AHL. There's no perfect way to do it.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Evans or Vejdemo.

Trying to defend Bergevin's track record in development is like trying to prove the earth is flat. There's no evidence to support it, so you just sound stupid when you do.
These guys are 23 and the Habs will need to figure out if they have potential to stick to Montreal eventually, in the next few years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
These guys are 23 and the Habs will need to figure out if they have potential to stick to Montreal eventually, in the next few years.

Yep, so they make way more sense.

1 - You reward them for what they've done.
2 - You get a better sense of what you have, especially with a looming expansion draft
3 - They are the more experienced pro players
4 - You leave a young guy alone.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Fixxer

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If you do that, you’re not necessarily helping Poehling’s development. I mean, what are The teams expectations for this guy? 3rd line? 4th line? I hope they’re higher than that. I doubt he plays top 6 during this call up. Then what? He gets the Hudon treatment and gets sent back?
You're playing to win the game, help out wherever you're put

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well there is one guy that agrees with the call up, and that guy is Poehling. So over to him to prove that he belongs. If he can’t that’s on him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Same with the NHL

SIM training? As in simulated training?

In that case, just ask any lady, they'll show you the ropes.

"Not tonight, I have a headache."

Did you catch the SIM?

Just saved you hours of useless training. :sarcasm:

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Evans or Vejdemo.

You dont have to sell me on how much of a moron we have running things.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It is pretty much that. When one guy deserves the call up first, he gets called up first. If who you see deserves the 2nd call up gets hurt and isn't available, you look to who deserves the call up next, so you go to the third guy.

It's not like they identify at the start of the year who is first and who is second and so on. They go with what they have as options at the time of the call up and who deserves it.

And with Belzile, Varone, and McCarron out with injuries in Laval, a prospect like Poehling becomes more of an option than he would have had those guys been in the line-up.

And for myself, watching him the whole year in Laval, he has improved a lot in the last month. He earned this call up. It wasn't given.
Ya, and how's that strategy been working for us over the past decade? You're right, let's keep doing what has been shown to be a massive failure.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes playing a few games will destroy Phoeling, geez comeon. Its not like we have a full healthy roster and decided to call up Phoeling, a player that most of this board wanted to make the team after last years leaf game LOL.
This paragraph alone tells me you have no interest in having a rational conversation.
It's not just that anybody here thinks playing a few games will destroy Poehling, which is a lame strawman from you, it's the lack of stability.
Lack of stability for development. Look at any strong development, you will see stability and structure in the planning, across every single industry.

Desperate times because the team has 3 main forwards injured, and then lost Peca last night. Hudon had his chance and wasn't doing anything. Why would we trade for someone when we have guys in the AHL and waste an asset especially when Byron/Drouin will be back within a few weeks?
Because we have multiple objectives and developing your strong prospects is just as important as making the POs in 2020. Right now Poehling had a pretty average-disappointing camp, bad stint in the NHL and average in AHL, he was finally turning a corner and playing better. He hasn't been working in Laval for 2 years already and we want to bring him up on a high. He's a freaking rookie.
He should not even be thought about as a call up unless he was owning the AHL.
And like it or not we are in a playoff hunt, 1 point out of 3rd spot and 2 out of second spot. Whats with the obsession of throwing in the towel 2 months into the season? And as if calling up Phoeling is some sort of power move to make the playoffs. If MB was so desperate why didn't he call up Phoeling before Hudon/Peca/Barber? Oh he only got desperate today? What a stupid narrative to put forward.
We are not contenders, we are still in rebuild mode, heck Molson himself said he's not necessarily looking at the next few year and is more excited with the prospect of this team over the next 3-8 years. That means, development should be their main focus.

Bergevin did call up Poehling and he looked quite bad, but hey, why mention that. Good old scruda...
If Peca wasn't injured last night do you think Phoeling would be called up and Barber/Peca would of been scratched because MB all of a sudden got desperate after beating the peguins last night but wasn't desperate 2/3/5 games ago?
I don't care, stick with Hudon, call up someone else. I care way more about Poehling finding and building his game as a rookie in Laval. Same goes for Suzuki, same goes for Brook, same goes for Fleury, same went for KK last year.

None of the facts fit your narrative but keep spouting it. Phoeling is the 4th forward called up because injuries are piling up. If the team didn't have to go through 3 guys already then Phoeling wouldn't be called up. He will get a few games and probably head back to the AHL to finish the year there unless he becomes the guy we saw at the leafs game last season.
What is my narrative? The hell are you talking about? You can't keep up a simple discussion.
I want Poehling to develop in the AHL this year, 3 months into the season, he's been called up twice. So what are you babbling on about?

Reactions: Sorinth

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm say what I said in the other thread...not a fan of this.

It's probably because Byron is coming back, but give me Poehling over Weal and Barber.

Reactions: zx81

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm say what I said in the other thread...not a fan of this.

It's probably because Byron is coming back, but give me Poehling over Weal and Barber.

I agree about Poehling over Weal and Barber.

But if there is truth to what Renaud Lavoie said about Byron possibly being back for Saturday, then it's not a bad thing that Poehling continues in Laval for the moment.

Reactions: DangerDave

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I am not worried. Clod is doing The Development da right way. Sigh... eyeroll. What a backward organization from very top to the very bottom.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad