Recalled/Assigned: (Dec. 13) Ryan Poehling Called Back Up to Montreal

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
This management refuses to learn good development strategy its ridiculous the amount of yo yoing theyre doing at this point might as well trade every draft pick you have for proven players because they sure arent going to develop here

Reactions: montreal

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Bergevins so desperate for his prized prospects to look good that he keeps sending them up over guys who deserve it more, or at the expense of their development.

Asinine. The drive for 9th is strong.

Or maybe the injuries are piling up and we have to call these guys up.

Lets see we called up Hudon, Peca, Barber all before Phoeling, but lets not let that get in the way of things. Oh and Bezile is injured but we should of called him up I guess.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bergevins so desperate for his prized prospects to look good that he keeps sending them up over guys who deserve it more, or at the expense of their development.

Asinine. The drive for 9th is strong.

Poehling deserves the call up, though. He's been very good the last little while.

He actually deserves it more this time than he did earlier in the season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Lets see we called up Hudon, Peca, Barber all before Phoeling, but lets not let that get in the way of things. Oh and Bezile is injured but we should of called him up I guess.

Vejdemo and Evans are older and playing better in the AHL. They should be called up first.

But sure let's defend the yo-yoing because it's worked so well for Bergevin so far.

Every time MB and his staff have yo-yoed prospects, played them in the wrong position, or kept them stifled in the line up over fourth line grinders.. they've all come out better for it.

I can tell because every single one of those players are no longer on the team and their development was severely compromised which is easily evidenced by how they never achieved the production they had when they started with us.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Poehling deserves the call up, though. He's been very good the last little while.

He deserves it more than he did last time but he doesn't deserve it more over Vejdemo and Evans.

Furthermore, have we not learned that when a prospect finally starts finding his stride in the AHL, that it's better to let that continue than to stifle it by playing them out of position, down in the line up, and with limited time on ice?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Aren’t both Vejdemo and Evans exclusively Cs? Poehling’s been playing W for a reason it seems, the org prefers playing Suzuki at C vs calling up one of Vejdemo or Evans to play C. Julien also seems to really trust Suzuki.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He deserves it more than he did last time but he doesn't deserve it more over Vejdemo and Evans.

Furthermore, have we not learned that when a prospect finally starts finding his stride in the AHL, that it's better to let that continue than to stifle it by playing them out of position, down in the line up, and with limited time on ice?

Evans and Vejdemo do deserve a call up. But so does Poehling. This isn't a case of Poehling being called up undeservedly.

But the last time, Poehling played limited minutes, was then sent back down to Laval, people talked about how his development was stunted because he was rushed, yet he got better since then.

If Evans and Vejdemo get called up, they will also play limited minutes just like you're concerned that Poehling will. And they will also play out of position.

Reactions: scrubadam

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
F*** S*** seriously?? The guy is just starting to play good down there, don’t bring him up in that bull**** lineup and situation! Do Bergevin really listen to Bouchard when it comes to call up?!! Jeeez. Let the guy play with no pressure

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How is Poehling getting called up, a surprise? It’s the same recipe as with Primeau. Until MB is canned, this is the prevalent development model.

Reactions: habsfan891

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Poehling was already called up this year and did bad. But ya, I guess 8 years of this yo-yo strategy failing isnt enough for you. Let's pretend like it's the first year this is happening....
:facepalm:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Evans and Vejdemo do deserve a call up. But so does Poehling. This isn't a case of Poehling being called up undeservedly.

But the last time, Poehling played limited minutes, was then sent back down to Laval, people talked about how his development was stunted because he was rushed, yet he got better since then.

If Evans and Vejdemo get called up, they will also play limited minutes just like you're concerned that Poehling will. And they will also play out of position.

They also have a full AHL season under their belt, they would not be classified as yo-yoed. They would be our better Laval players getting a break they deserve based on pre season and AHL hockey.

And just because the first call up didn't hurt him, doesn't mean that this one won't.

It's baffling to me that people are willing to give Bergevin and his minions any benefit of the doubt when it comes to prospect development.

He should stay down and continue to build on his better play as of late. Meanwhile Evans should get a call up because he had a great first pro year last year. Was great in pre season and despite a little dip to start, he's been consistently one of our best players in the AHL this year.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

I agree with you, he has been dominant at times. He's been a very quick learner and is one of Laval's best forwards after Barber the last while.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

This ''deserve'' strategy/philosophy is such utter BS. Why does he ''deserve'' it? Because he played a good stretch of games lately? What kind of sissy ass mickey mouse club organization is this man?
Ohh goodie...kid played a good stretch of games..he now deserves a crack at the NHL. GTFO with this shit.

Poehling needs to freaking dominate and show he can play well on a consistent basis, he needs to show the ability to progress and develop IN THE AHL first. Once he shows that, then you call him up.

Suzuki - Should be in the AHL.
Fleury - Should be in the AHL.
Poehling - Should be in the AHL.
KK - Should have been in the AHL (or Euro) last year, at least.

Our stupid developmental decisions are right there for everyone to see. You think people would have caught on by now..

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
F*** S*** seriously?? The guy is just starting to play good down there, don’t bring him up in that bull**** lineup and situation! Do Bergevin really listen to Bouchard when it comes to call up?!! Jeeez. Let the guy play with no pressure

Habs need a body and they get another peek to see what progress has occurred,if any. Will be sheltered so no biggie.
upload_2019-12-11_13-48-47.jpeg

Reactions: scrubadam

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Poehling was already called up this year and did bad. But ya, I guess 8 years of this yo-yo strategy failing isnt enough for you. Let's pretend like it's the first year this is happening....

But it’s the short Bouchardian stint cures all, like with Mete. Developmental philosophy predicated upon injuries permitting.

Reactions: angusyoung

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

and if we didn't have this many injuries Phoeling wouldn't be up, or would you rather useless Hudon?

Its not a stratgey its desperate times call for desperate measures. Hudon sucked, Peca got injured. Byron/Drouin out KK on IR.

Do you think if Peca didn't get hurt last night or if KK was ready to come back Phoeling would be yo-yo'd?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
and if we didn't have this many injuries Phoeling wouldn't be up, or would you rather useless Hudon?

Its not a stratgey its desperate times call for desperate measures. Hudon sucked, Peca got injured. Byron/Drouin out KK on IR.

Do you think if Peca didn't get hurt last night or if KK was ready to come back Phoeling would be yo-yo'd?

Yes, keep Hudon, why the f*** not? Desperate measures...for what? To make the POs?
I much rather do what is better for the development of Poehling in years to come vs desperately trying to make the POs.

If...if...if....that's just an excuse. Call up another guy. Trade or sign a bottom guy. Who cares, we shouldn't be in the hunt to make the POs. If that was the objective, then why the hell did we do nothing during the summer??

Your decisions need to be consistent with your objectives. That has been the biggest drawback for Bergey.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't understand how any fan here isn't upset with this organization at this point. How are you not upset?
Aren't you tired of this freaking bull ****?

I'm probably too passive to be upset. Not always agreeing with the moves they make. But I don't think I've ever been pissed off about them, though.

And it's not that I'm disagreeing with you about letting the kids marinate in the minors before being brought up. And @WeThreeKings makes a sound argument about Evans and Vejdemo needing to be called up first since they're older and already have one full year in the AHL under their belt.

But I'm not against calling Poehling up today. They called up Hudon before Poehling, they called up Peca before him. And they called up Barber before also. In Laval, Belzile is hurt, Varone is hurt, and McCarron is hurt. My opinion is that if one of those guys would have been healthy right now, they'd be called up before Poehling, as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't understand how any fan here isn't upset with this organization at this point. How are you not upset?
Aren't you tired of this freaking bull ****?

Because some of us are just numb and indifferent. It’s a coping mechanism as good as any other but at least it doesn’t favor ulcers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm probably too passive to be upset. Not always agreeing with the moves they make. But I don't think I've ever been pissed off about them, though.

And it's not that I'm disagreeing with you about letting the kids marinate in the minors before being brought up. And @WeThreeKings makes a sound argument about Evans and Vejdemo needing to be called up first since they're older and already have one full year in the AHL under their belt.

But I'm not against calling Poehling up today. They called up Hudon before Poehling, they called up Peca before him. And they called up Barber before also. In Laval, Belzile is hurt, Varone is hurt, and McCarron is hurt. My opinion is that if one of those guys would have been healthy right now, they'd be called up before Poehling, as well.

Who cares if they're hurt, that's not an argument. Keep Hudon. Sign a 4th liner, or trade for one.
The point isn't about who's #4 or #5 on the call up list, the discussion with Poehlin here is what is best for his development. That should be priority #1. If playing in the AHL is what he needs to build on right now, well it doesn't matter if the 4 guys ahead of him are hurt when they need a call up because we need him to develop properly so he can help more in years to come vs being better than Hudon now, which means nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad