Recalled/Assigned: (Dec. 13) Ryan Poehling Called Back Up to Montreal

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
But it’s the short Bouchardian stint cures all, like with Mete. Developmental philosophy predicated upon injuries permitting.

Limited options at this juncture and an opportunity to evaluate if progress is......progressing? They must have evaluated RP if he is able to handle a call up for assessment, don't see a downside playing RP. Worse case scenario is he has not improved and they send him back down to Laval,so what? He's a smart kid,should be able to see for himself where he can and should play.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who cares if they're hurt, that's not an argument. Keep Hudon. Sign a 4th liner, or trade for one.
The point isn't about who's #4 or #5 on the call up list, the discussion with Poehlin here is what is best for his development. That should be priority #1. If playing in the AHL is what he needs to build on right now, well it doesn't matter if the 4 guys ahead of him are hurt when they need a call up because we need him to develop properly so he can help more in years to come vs being better than Hudon now, which means nothing.

It does matter whose #4 or #6 on the call up list. Because if your team in the NHL has injuries and your team in the AHL has injuries, at some point you gotta pick the next guy. And sometimes, the next guy is a prospect. You may be forced to call him up even though your intentions were to leave him down longer.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not losing any sleep over it man...but we're discussing the Habs. If it's just entertainment then we can just close this place right now because hey...win..lose...play this guy..hire this coach...or not...who cares, it's merely entertainment.

Feel free! this is the place to vent,discuss,flatter, shame,you name it,but it's still entertainment regardless of what floats your boat. Just don't mention Sherman s method of travel.;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm probably too passive to be upset. Not always agreeing with the moves they make. But I don't think I've ever been pissed off about them, though.

And it's not that I'm disagreeing with you about letting the kids marinate in the minors before being brought up. And @WeThreeKings makes a sound argument about Evans and Vejdemo needing to be called up first since they're older and already have one full year in the AHL under their belt.

But I'm not against calling Poehling up today. They called up Hudon before Poehling, they called up Peca before him. And they called up Barber before also. In Laval, Belzile is hurt, Varone is hurt, and McCarron is hurt. My opinion is that if one of those guys would have been healthy right now, they'd be called up before Poehling, as well.

yeah this is my feeling. Should've been Vejdemo but I'm not hopping mad that it's RP. No problem about thinking it's the wrong move but I think the level of anger is a bit much. It's not that I don't understand where it's coming from but I think people just shoot from the hip so much on here. I guess the disconnect for me is that people see this place as a place to vent which is fine. I'd personally prefer dispassionate discussion. I try and keep that in mind sometimes when people are just losing their minds on here lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was waiting for someone to suggest that Poehling is getting showcased. OK, maybe not. :D

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Leave Poehling where he is. This is just dumb. He’s getting a few points, but hardly dominating in Laval.
Nobody is.

Bring up the guy who plays the position according to how Julien wants it played. It doesn't matter who it is, it's who fits it best imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It does matter whose #4 or #6 on the call up list. Because if your team in the NHL has injuries and your team in the AHL has injuries, at some point you gotta pick the next guy. And sometimes, the next guy is a prospect. You may be forced to call him up even though your intentions were to leave him down longer.
No you dont. It isnt a such a simple circular system. The age, potential, development, style and type of player needs to all be considered along with your team's current and longterm objective, when you call up a player. It's not as simple as best guy is out...2nd best is out...therefore 3rd best is next!..
That seems like a very bad SOP.

Reactions: montreal

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Nobody is.

Bring up the guy who plays the position according to how Julien wants it played. It doesn't matter who it is, it's who fits it best imo.
If you do that, you’re not necessarily helping Poehling’s development. I mean, what are The teams expectations for this guy? 3rd line? 4th line? I hope they’re higher than that. I doubt he plays top 6 during this call up. Then what? He gets the Hudon treatment and gets sent back?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
How is it dumb? what negative outcome is foreseen?
2nd time getting called up when he could be finally starting to find his game in Laval. Probably relegated to third line, maybe even 4th cuz I think Peca got hurt the other night. Let the guy continue his development, he’s clearly not ready or he would’ve been here from the start. Comparatively, Suzuki and Fleury are what I’d call “ready”. I don’t think this move helps the Habs or Poehling.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No you dont. It isnt a such a simple circular system. The age, potential, development, style and type of player needs to all be considered when you call up a player. It's not as simple as best guy is out...2nd best is out...therefore 3rd best is next!..
That seems like a very bad SOP.

It is pretty much that. When one guy deserves the call up first, he gets called up first. If who you see deserves the 2nd call up gets hurt and isn't available, you look to who deserves the call up next, so you go to the third guy.

It's not like they identify at the start of the year who is first and who is second and so on. They go with what they have as options at the time of the call up and who deserves it.

And with Belzile, Varone, and McCarron out with injuries in Laval, a prospect like Poehling becomes more of an option than he would have had those guys been in the line-up.

And for myself, watching him the whole year in Laval, he has improved a lot in the last month. He earned this call up. It wasn't given.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yes, keep Hudon, why the **** not? Desperate measures...for what? To make the POs?
I much rather do what is better for the development of Poehling in years to come vs desperately trying to make the POs.

If...if...if....that's just an excuse. Call up another guy. Trade or sign a bottom guy. Who cares, we shouldn't be in the hunt to make the POs. If that was the objective, then why the hell did we do nothing during the summer??

Your decisions need to be consistent with your objectives. That has been the biggest drawback for Bergey.

Yes playing a few games will destroy Phoeling, geez comeon. Its not like we have a full healthy roster and decided to call up Phoeling, a player that most of this board wanted to make the team after last years leaf game LOL.

Desperate times because the team has 3 main forwards injured, and then lost Peca last night. Hudon had his chance and wasn't doing anything. Why would we trade for someone when we have guys in the AHL and waste an asset especially when Byron/Drouin will be back within a few weeks?

And like it or not we are in a playoff hunt, 1 point out of 3rd spot and 2 out of second spot. Whats with the obsession of throwing in the towel 2 months into the season? And as if calling up Phoeling is some sort of power move to make the playoffs. If MB was so desperate why didn't he call up Phoeling before Hudon/Peca/Barber? Oh he only got desperate today? What a stupid narrative to put forward.

If Peca wasn't injured last night do you think Phoeling would be called up and Barber/Peca would of been scratched because MB all of a sudden got desperate after beating the peguins last night but wasn't desperate 2/3/5 games ago?

None of the facts fit your narrative but keep spouting it. Phoeling is the 4th forward called up because injuries are piling up. If the team didn't have to go through 3 guys already then Phoeling wouldn't be called up. He will get a few games and probably head back to the AHL to finish the year there unless he becomes the guy we saw at the leafs game last season.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm probably too passive to be upset. Not always agreeing with the moves they make. But I don't think I've ever been pissed off about them, though.

And it's not that I'm disagreeing with you about letting the kids marinate in the minors before being brought up. And @WeThreeKings makes a sound argument about Evans and Vejdemo needing to be called up first since they're older and already have one full year in the AHL under their belt.

But I'm not against calling Poehling up today. They called up Hudon before Poehling, they called up Peca before him. And they called up Barber before also. In Laval, Belzile is hurt, Varone is hurt, and McCarron is hurt. My opinion is that if one of those guys would have been healthy right now, they'd be called up before Poehling, as well.

stop making sense, just get your pitchfork out.

I bet if we called up the entire Rockets roster before Phoeling the complaints would still be the same. We could call up the entire ECHL team and it would still be the same.

Reactions: jaffy27

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
2nd time getting called up when he could be finally starting to find his game in Laval. Probably relegated to third line, maybe even 4th cuz I think Peca got hurt the other night. Let the guy continue his development, he’s clearly not ready or he would’ve been here from the start. Comparatively, Suzuki and Fleury are what I’d call “ready”. I don’t think this move helps the Habs or Poehling.

It's not like there are a ton of options is there. No one else from Laval would potentially be the answer as it is for the time being. The only way to assess is to play and see. Probably not good enough,but no harm done in the long run.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Leave Poehling where he is. This is just dumb. He’s getting a few points, but hardly dominating in Laval.
Even if the management says they want to develop players, the roster is in such a bad shape that they need those guys. The same reason why KK wasn't sent down to Laval. They NEED those guys now and can't wait for them to develop.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Even if the management says they want to develop players, the roster is in such a bad shape that they need those guys. The same reason why KK wasn't sent down to Laval. They NEED those guys now and can't wait for them to develop.

Players still develop at the NHL level.....because he’s here doesn’t mean he’s not learning. Question is, how fast is he learning and how fragile one’s confidence is.

In aviation, we do SIM training, just came back from it, some people get rattled in the SIM, some excel, you’re still learning but some apply what they learned from their mistakes and for some it’s too much.

Same with the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad