Recalled/Assigned: (Dec. 13) Ryan Poehling Called Back Up to Montreal

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Knowing the Habs, they'll go with the best 12. When Poehling is ready to beat out Weal and Cousins he'll be in the top 12 of a healthy lineup.

But, with Drouin and KK out longer term, there should be a spot on the 4th line for him even with Byron coming back. If Poehling can play like he played last night, he's ahead of Hudon, Barber, Peca, etc...

My hope is that'll play so well that he'll unseat one of Cousins or Weal on the 3rd line next to Suzuki. And then in that role play so well that it's Lehkonen and Cousins that cone out of the top 9 when Drouin and KK come back. But he may not have developed enough yet to be abke to do that.

My hope:

When Byron comes back:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Armia
Poehling Suzuki Cousins
Byron Thompson Weal

When Drouin snd Kk come back:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Poehling Domi Suzuki
Drouin KK Armia
Byron Thompson Lehkonen
Cousins, Weal
Weal ? LMAO

switching him up with Hudon wouldnt make a difference, that's how bad he is...

Reactions: Fixxer

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Let the kid play in Laval. He's coming along fine. Wait until February comes by and then bring him up for good. He'll be in fine form.

Reactions: 26Mats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is this a Hudon type of situation where he'll be re-called like tomorrow or something

It's definitely not waivers-related since he doesn't need to go through it.

If he gets called back up for Saturday's game, it could be for one of two reasons for me:

1- Byron isn't ready to return yet. So they call Poehling back up.

2- They're looking to save on money as they'd like to save on the NHL salary. And I really don't believe it's this because they would have done that last time they called him up and he stayed up for 4 games earlier this season.

Also to note, Laval is playing at home on Friday. So they surely sent him down to play on Friday against Rochester. And they may call him back up for Saturday against Detroit. This way, he gets an extra game in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If he gets called back up for Saturday's game, it could be for one of two reasons for me:

2- They're looking to save on money as they'd like to save on the NHL salary. And I really don't believe it's this because they would have done that last time they called him up and he stayed up for 4 games earlier this season.

Also to note, Laval is playing at home on Friday. So they surely sent him down to play on Friday against Rochester. And they may call him back up for Saturday against Detroit. This way, he gets an extra game in.

But why have him play on Friday and then Saturday? Isn't it a disadvantage to have him play on a back to back?

Anyways, although I like him in our top 12 over Barber and Peca, I also think he's been progressing well in Laval. So the safe move for his development is Laval.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But why have him play on Friday and then Saturday? Isn't it a disadvantage to have him play on a back to back?

He will play back to back no matter what since Laval is playing Friday and Saturday. In fact, Laval is playing two games in less than 24 hours. Friday @ 7:30PM and Saturday at 3PM.

He played on Tuesday in Laval and Wednesday in Montreal. Looked good last night.

There's no travel since Habs play in Montreal and Rocket play in Laval.

And that is IF he gets called back up for Saturday. He may stay in Laval

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think it's because Byron is coming back soon , seems early as they said about 4 weeks from Nov 19th.
Well, as of now that’s 23 days....in another 2 days, that’s when they play it’ll be 25......that’s 3 days off from 4 weeks, I’d say it’s pretty much bang on

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Anyways, although I like him in our top 12 over Barber and Peca, I also think he's been progressing well in Laval. So the safe move for his development is Laval.
Agree, long term I’m all for Laval with some spot duty here and there with the big club.

I honestly only want to see him up here full time if he’s playing a top 9 role.

Jul 6, 2016
Well, as of now that’s 23 days....in another 2 days, that’s when they play it’ll be 25......that’s 3 days off from 4 weeks, I’d say it’s pretty much bang on

OK for Byron to come back... But will he be more effective and productive ?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To be fair, Domi has been playing an idiotic form of shinny for most of the season. It is like he and Drouin switched brains over the off season.
Domi tried to stickhandle his way in the Offensive zone last night. One pass or a dump could have helped. He forced the play, lost the puck, things got back to the Habs zone. Use your linemates.......

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agree, long term I’m all for Laval with some spot duty here and there with the big club.

I honestly only want to see him up here full time if he’s playing a top 9 role.

Long term yes. I just think the 4th line could be a platform for him to shiw his stuff and then eventually get moved into the top 9, as was the case with Suzuki.

The good news is he seems to be developing well in Laval anyways.

I think KK could use some time in Laval, with the emergence of Suzuki at center. In that case we could use Poehling on the wing if he's ready.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He will play back to back no matter what since Laval is playing Friday and Saturday. In fact, Laval is playing two games in less than 24 hours. Friday @ 7:30PM and Saturday at 3PM.

He played on Tuesday in Laval and Wednesday in Montreal. Looked good last night.

There's no travel since Habs play in Montreal and Rocket play in Laval.

And that is IF he gets called back up for Saturday. He may stay in Laval

I'm thinking Byron will take Peca's spot and they want to give Barber a look at the other wing spot before they give Poehling his next real shot. Afterall they called Barber up before Poehling and Poehling was an emergency call up for Peca. But Peca was filling in Byron's spot, and Byron will be back.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well maybe they go with 12 forwards on Saturday, but they will for sure call someone up for the trip out West.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm thinking Byron will take Peca's spot and they want to give Barber a look at the other wing spot before they give Poehling his next real shot. Afterall they called Barber up before Poehling and Poehling was an emergency call up for Peca. But Peca was filling in Byron's spot, and Byron will be back.

Right now, Montreal has 11 forwards. If Byron comes off IR to play, they'll be 12F. If he doesn't return, then expect another call up, most likely to be Poehling again.

Reactions: Fixxer and Tuggy

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Weal ? LMAO

switching him up with Hudon wouldnt make a difference, that's how bad he is...
I had some hope in Weal last year but this season, he looks like the guy who played for Manchester and other teams in the AHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Right now, Montreal has 11 forwards. If Byron comes off IR to play, they'll be 12F. If he doesn't return, then expect another call up, most likely to be Poehling again.

If Byron doesn't come back, I have little doubt Poehling gets the call.

The question is, if Byron does come back, what happens to Poehling? I think they're going with Barber for now, but we'll see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Byron doesn't come back, I have little doubt Poehling gets the call.

The question is, if Byron does come back, what happens to Poehling? I think they're going with Barber for now, but we'll see.

If Byron comes back, Poehling stays in Laval.

The only reason I see them call him back for Saturday's game is if Byron isn't activated off IR to play.

Barber remains where he is no matter what.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If Byron comes back, Poehling stays in Laval.

The only reason I see them call him back for Saturday's game is if Byron isn't activated off IR to play.

Barber remains where he is no matter what.

Yes, I think so. I don't think Poehling was sent back due to cap reasons, etc...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes, I think so. I don't think Poehling was sent back due to cap reasons, etc...

Not cap reasons. I only mentioned that it may have been salary-related. Because he's on an ELC, he's on a 2-way contract. So his salary is lower in the AHL.

But as I said, this is not what I believe because they would have done the same thing when he was called up for 4 games earlier in the year. Just mentioning it because that is a possibility.

I personally think they sent him down to play games in Laval and the possibility that Byron may be back on Saturday.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not cap reasons. I only mentioned that it may have been salary-related. Because he's on an ELC, he's on a 2-way contract. So his salary is lower in the AHL.

But as I said, this is not what I believe because they would have done the same thing when he was called up for 4 games earlier in the year. Just mentioning it because that is a possibility.

I personally think they sent him down to play games in Laval and the possibility that Byron may be back on Saturday.

Yeah I have Poehling ahead of Barber. But if they want to give Barber a look, so be it. At least Poehling seems to be benefiting from time in Laval.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Domi tried to stickhandle his way in the Offensive zone last night. One pass or a dump could have helped. He forced the play, lost the puck, things got back to the Habs zone. Use your linemates.......

He was awesome last year ,and this year, he kind of sucks. Is that what he is? a one year player on a team?Still more beneficial than AG,but could be the odd man out when moves are made. If he moves to LW and continues to mope about it when there are superior C's around,make a package for what is lacking when the time comes. If Habs plan is to inject CC next season,enough of the tiny players.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad