Death Stranding

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yep, being published by 505 Games. They usually deal with games going to EGS and like to do the one year exclusive (ugh). But I may cancel my LE pre-order and wait for the PC version. I know I want the PC version so I can get the best quality possible out of the game.

I guess my question is, do you think I should keep the CE as an actually collector's item and then pay $60 again for the EGS version in 6 to 8 months?

Other - Wait for Steam release. :laugh: There's so many good games coming out next year that I'm not sure how much time I'll even have for Death Stranding. If it is an EGS exclusive, I can wait for it to go on Steam. I refuse to give Epic any money with how scummy they are. A lot of people are also say Kojima has become really good friends with Gabe Newell in recent years. I know 505 has a track record of releasing on EGS but I'm sure Kojima has a major voice in the matter. It's not like he'd just say "Hey, you guys can just do whatever you want with the PC version." It's Hideo Kojima, I'm sure it's in the contract that he has final say.
Oh nice. I'll just wait for a good sale on PC. Lots of Sony fanboys probably aren't too happy about this.
I saw that and I'll never understand. Oh no! I want access to things that other people don't have access to because I have the mental capacity of an 8 year old that needs to feel special and I don't feel special! Oh woe is me!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
ngl this game sounds like they made a big budget AAA game based entirely around some of the least appealing mechanics in the medium.

Ballsy but there's no way I'm buying it.

Reactions: Fudge

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ill buy it for the story alone when the price drops.

I anticipate it will drop fairly quickly, too.

Seems to be getting around 7/10 from what I consider reputable review places, which is what I had anticipated.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Kojima is not a good enough writer for story to be able to carry a game like this. Sounds like he's continuing his strategy of "2 hour exposition dumps for obvious shit instead of just figuring out what subtext is."

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Based off of what I heard from GB, I wouldn't touch this game until it's sub $20.

I like how weird Kojima is, but you still gotta build a competent game around the weirdness.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The game play seems to be an issue. I've read that it's "exactly what it appears to be"....although I still don't know what that is. Walking and using ladders?

Like, what do you DO, though? :laugh:

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
A shame that the gameplay seems to be so thoroughly unenjoyable, I was looking forward to this one.

I hope Sony keeps putting these games on PC though, I just likely won't be getting this one.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It sounds awful to me. A bunch of poorly thought out cutscenes tied together by a lousy gameplay loop.

I always found Kojima to be grossly overrated honestly as a producer. He thinks he's this golden writer when in reality his stories are awful in terms of coherence.

I still remember reading an interview where a it was either a translator or proofreader he worked with on MGS2 hated working with him because his writing made zero sense.

He also tends to have a very cult-like fan following.

Edit: giant bomb's Dan Rycket, a very unapologetic Kojima fan apparently slammed the game on their podcast. I'm interested to see the fan reaction to this game

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It seems like it's literally "Fetch Quest: The Game: The Movie". Mechanics and long-winded cutscenes seem to be sticking points.

Heard some people say the first and final ten hours are very tedious.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I look forward to downloading this on PS+ in a year or two and then never playing it.

Stuff like this is a good example of how disconnected I’ve grown from most AAA games. This game never appealed to me and I have been dumbfounded throughout the process as to how or why it was getting so much attention.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I look forward to downloading this on PS+ in a year or two and then never playing it.

Stuff like this is a good example of how disconnected I’ve grown from most AAA games. This game never appealed to me and I have been dumbfounded throughout the process as to how or why it was getting so much attention.
Kojima and memes. That's about it.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'll get a cdkeys steam copy some day.

The reviews I've read doesn't seem appealing. It seems like it will be an overencumbered fetch quest.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Based off of what I heard from GB, I wouldn't touch this game until it's sub $20.

I like how weird Kojima is, but you still gotta build a competent game around the weirdness.
Tbf you wouldn't touch 99% of games until they were $20 if you only got your opinions from GB.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sounds like it is the anti-MGS V: all story/feels and very subdued gameplay. Not really my jam anymore but I can see myself watching a playthrough.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tbf you wouldn't touch 99% of games until they were $20 if you only got your opinions from GB.
I tend to line up very well with the views.of that staff, so that's fine with me.

I still have my own personal "no matter what" purchases, but definitely respect that outlet.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
After watching quite a bit of gameplay that's starting to come out now, the game just looks incredibly repetitive and not in a good way. I'll probably give it a shot when it is discounted in a couple of weeks but man it looks pretty disappointing. Seems like its exactly what most people were concerned it would be

The graphics are great though, I just don't know how interesting the same mission would be for 50 hours straight

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
After watching quite a bit of gameplay that's starting to come out now, the game just looks incredibly repetitive and not in a good way. I'll probably give it a shot when it is discounted in a couple of weeks but man it looks pretty disappointing. Seems like its exactly what most people were concerned it would be

The graphics are great though, I just don't know how interesting the same mission would be for 50 hours straight

I will say I love how this game is anti-streaming.

It certainly does look repetitive but that is only a real downside if the gameplay doesn't support it. Plenty of game are very repetitive but very good.

Death Stranding looks to be like a giant **** you to the state of AAA gaming and it is making me want to support the endeavour.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

It certainly does look repetitive but that is only a real downside if the gameplay doesn't support it. Plenty of game are very repetitive but very good.

Death Stranding looks to be like a giant **** you to the state of AAA gaming and it is making me want to support the endeavour.

That's kind of how I see it. It's meant work that way but extremely well and precise. It's a game that is not meant to appeal to everyone that's very ok. I honestly think parts of this game will show up in other games in the future and become more commonplace as a result.

I'm waiting for my CE to come in today. Still debating if I want to open it and play it or wait for the PC version.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Pretty much the only admirable thing about it seems to be the principle. Kojima finally got out of the standard AAA development cycle of "we will not give you a budget to make a game unless our focus testing determines it will make us a profit."

I've heard the budget is nowhere near Metal Gear big, but still, he got big enough that somebody actually gave him a budget to make a fairly expensive vanity project in a capitalist market, which is pretty amazing. It's just too bad that literally everything about it sounds terrible other than the stuff that cost the most money (visuals and performance capture.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad